Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Progessive Movements in Israel

Progessive Movements in Israel
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 01:06 PM

Here's something a little different. Something that is happening in Israel right now that suggests that there are some people from both sides of the conflict who are sensible enough to put their differences aside and work toward establishing a desegregated society in Israel.

I recently attended a conference held by representatives of a group called 'Mosaic Communities' based in Minnesota. They are a group of Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs who are working together in order to establish integrated communities in Israel.

A little background first. A great many of the villages in Israel are totally segregated. There are the Jewish Israeli villages and Palestinian Arab villages. Years of conflict have resulted in the two sides living totally separate from each other with no integration at all. Many of the villages are separated by walls-exactly like the more controversial one being built along the boarders that we hear about in the news. In a video presented by the group it said the Israeli government had spent about 30000 Shekel on building a wall dividing two villages (I forget the names of them).
Another worrying occurrence is the demolition of Palestinian homes by the Israeli government. I'm not talking about the demolition of homes believed to be belonging to terrorists or their families. These are homes that have been deemed 'illegal' by the Israeli government, even though they are on Palestinian land. The homes are destroyed, the Palestinian occupants left with the rubble and no alternative solutions. The government then bills the families for the demolition costs! These are families living on less than $300 a month, kicked out of their homes and then billed for about $3000!
The group 'Mosaic Communities' do their best to help the Palestinian families rebuild their homes, even though in some cases the Israeli government issue demolition orders again and proceed to destroy the homes.

The group is currently in the process of negotiating areas of land in the South, center and North of the country to build homes that will house both Palestinians and Israelis-together. This will be one of a few efforts to build integrated communities in Israel.

I think such plans are an excellent way to get the two sides to try and rebuild relations. It puts aside the ideological differences, the wider dispute between the Israeli government and Palestinian Authorities-which is going absolutely nowhere, and recognises that neither side is going to leave. So why not try and integrate and increase understanding between the Jews and Arabs?

Whatever the eventual solution to the conflict whether we see a single state or two-state solution, getting the Arabs and Jews to live side by side will be a long, difficult process.
I find it quite uplifting to see that already there are a few people from both sides who are willing to start off the process.

Thoughts?

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 01:12 PM

Thoughts?

Just that Minnesotan's are cool.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2004, 01:17 PM

It's nice to know that there are actually people doing the right thing over there. I always assumed that there would be people who weren't as moronic as the majority seem to be, but it's nice to have that actually confirmed. I just wish more people shared their attitude.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Thoughts?
Arafat, Sharon and others of their ilk need to go.

Let civilized human beings take over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules