Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] JetBlack

[ANN] JetBlack (Page 3)
mac15
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 10:08 PM

It must annoy the crap out of you Swiz, it took you months to finish JetBlack and someone ports is to a completely new OS in like what a day

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 26, 2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by mac15:
It must annoy the crap out of you Swiz, it took you months to finish JetBlack and someone ports is to a completely new OS in like what a day
They definitely are ambitious .

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by dole:
Now for the Windows port of JetBlack... Looks like crap to me

http://free-st.htnet.hr/crni/Tuxedo.html
no offense swiz, but i really think those menu-selectors look a lot better than what you have now. the ones you have now just dont seem to fit in with the darkness of the theme.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Man they're fast. This is the first time I wasnt even contacted at all abvout a port. I guess they read my comment on my site regarding ports. Fine by me .

Its really amazing how close they can make PC's emulate the Mac OSX look.
I can hardly tell anymore.... damn PC users.
click one

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 27, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
no offense swiz, but i really think those menu-selectors look a lot better than what you have now. the ones you have now just dont seem to fit in with the darkness of the theme.
They do still look nice I agree, but they are just the old TuXedo style which is far too pinstripey for the new smooth JetBlack overall look.
edit- I just realized you meant the actual menu selections. duh.
I'll mess around with them. Maybe offer as an graphite option.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
Hey - I want that theme too! When are you going to release it???

SB
Soon..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2004, 03:43 PM

They do still look nice I agree, but they are just the old TuXedo style which is far too pinstripey for the new smooth JetBlack overall look.
thanks

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 03:55 PM

Weren't you going to invert the title-bar widgets also for the graphite variation? (have then black and roll-over to white)
click one

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Feb 27, 2004, 05:17 PM

Once again, nice work swiz.
Who'sDaMac?

Dave-o�
Senior User
Feb 27, 2004, 05:22 PM

Swiz, did CRNI get your grace to port it over? or is he raping everyone's hard work?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Swiz, did CRNI get your grace to port it over? or is he raping everyone's hard work?
Swiz has an "I don't care if you port my stuff" snippet on his page.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by digitaljames:
Swiz has an "I don't care if you port my stuff" snippet on his page.
I'll have a "contact me or die" on my themes.
click one

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2004, 12:05 AM

I wouldn't want my work bastardized for all 1337 haxorz to use.

Seriously.

Whatever, dude, it's your work.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 28, 2004, 01:38 AM

Ive stated before that the only people who I care about is the Mac users. Mac users know I created them and most of the people who do port my stuff do state that it is originally by me, if they dont, oh well, like I said i dont care what they think if they arent using a Mac.

NS- I will do that with the widgets for the graphite option.

k.mo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 01:51 AM

[edit]
( Last edited by k.mo; Feb 28, 2004 at 06:38 PM. )

dole
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2004, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by k.mo:
Get your facts straight before you bash people. That's the Tuxedo OB theme, the JetBlack theme can be seen here
[edit]I see that dole said this before but people went on about it[/edit]
I replied to my original post and said this...

"hmmm... I wonder if that screenshot I posted is actually the Tuxedo port or something? Here is the full screenshot for the JetBlack port and the menus look different than what I originally posted."

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 12:28 AM

Very nice theme! Unfortunately, it's not the most practical one. Artistically, though, it's gorgeous. Can't think of any way to improve it really, that doesn't involve the ShapeShifter update.

The main problem is that there is too much text that can't be modified to be white. It's not just Photoshop - I don't even use Photoshop at all. I just saw a lot of black text on the black background, enough to be confusing. But if that is totally fixed with SS 1.5, I'm there. I'm keeping it around anyway. Right now I'm using Good Grey which is very nice and simple.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Feb 29, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Very nice theme! Unfortunately, it's not the most practical one. Artistically, though, it's gorgeous. Can't think of any way to improve it really, that doesn't involve the ShapeShifter update.

The main problem is that there is too much text that can't be modified to be white. It's not just Photoshop - I don't even use Photoshop at all. I just saw a lot of black text on the black background, enough to be confusing. But if that is totally fixed with SS 1.5, I'm there. I'm keeping it around anyway. Right now I'm using Good Grey which is very nice and simple.
I have an ever evolving list of the text issues, so if you could let me know where you are running into them I can be sure that they are documented and pass that along to those who need to know.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 12:45 PM

Okay, here's where the text color can be problematic:

In Finder Preferences -> Sidebar, you can choose what to keep in the sidebar. The text next to each item is light grey, but the background is white, so it's hard to read. A black background would suit better, I think, than dark text on the white background.

ALL text in the View Options window (command-J with Finder as the active application) is black on black. The only time you can see white text is when you actually click the popup menus. But other than that, all the text is black, including the text on an unopened popup menu.

In iCal, the widgets at the bottom (Day/Week/Month) remain a light aqua color, but the text is lightened so it's difficult to see. I have no idea how you'd get around this without making an individual skin for iCal (and any other iApps that have this problem, for that matter). It's not too important since, who really uses iCal all the time anyway? Still, wanted to make sure you knew.

Well, I just did a quick run-through of all my often-used applications and those are really the only things I encountered. Actually, when I think about it, there are really not that many problems with the text. In most cases, it's fine. It's just that my initial impression was exaggerated because one of the first things I do when applying a new theme is change the background for Finder windows in View Options. Saw all the black text, and thought, "Huh boy, how much of this is going to show up in day-to-day use?" Apparently, not that much. Still, I've always found dark themes a bit "tiring" on the eyes. I'll give it another shot.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 01:05 PM

A couple more observations as I use it more:

There are a number of areas where I'll see light grey text on a white background. This occurs in Mail's drawer, where the selected item is unreadable because the selection grey and the text grey is almost the same color. Finder can be problematic because there are few selection colors that contrast well with the grey text color. I've found pure black works well and looks good with the theme. Also, the Color palette is difficult to read due to the grey text on a white background issue.

Oh, and I personally am not that fond of the hard drive icons, but I did apply the very cool iContainer and now I'm running a totally JetBlack system Keep up the good work!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 01:52 PM

I have an ever evolving list of the text issues, so if you could let me know where you are running into them I can be sure that they are documented and pass that along to those who need to know.
Built-in spell checker and this text box with Safari 1.2 are the worst.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Built-in spell checker and this text box with Safari 1.2 are the worst.
yeah. in the safari text boxes, it turns it into a weird light blue color.

Forum Links
Forum Rules