Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aqua Open Office cancelled...

Aqua Open Office cancelled...
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 03:22 AM

Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/15/2044205

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 04:28 AM

OpenOffice.org sucks anway, so who cares.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 05:04 AM

as long as there's neoOffice/J then there's nothing to worry about.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
You are stupid.
Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/15/2044205
You didn't read the original post.
From http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/timeline.html:
No engineering work has been performed on Quartz or Aqua development within the OpenOffice.org project since mid 2003. For the last year and a half all engineering work focusing on a native Mac OS X OpenOffice.org version has been concentrated in the NeoOffice/J project, using a combination of Java and Carbon technologies to replace X11.

Due to various licensing, political, and fundamental engineering difficulties it is likely, for the near future, that native Aqua porting work will be based off of the NeoOffice.org project and not under the direct aegis of OpenOffice.org.
That does not mean that OOo for Mac is dead or cancelled. It means NeoOffice/J is, and will continue to be, the preferred native implementation of OOo for the forseeable future. According to some posts on /. about this article (that thread had an equally sensationalistic title), at some point Neo/J may be merged with the official OOo, and boom, that's our Mac port.
( Last edited by wataru; Jan 20, 2005 at 06:11 AM. )

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
That does not mean that OOo for Mac is dead or cancelled. It means NeoOffice/J is, and will continue to be, the preferred native implementation of OOo for the forseeable future. According to some posts on /. about this article (that thread had an equally sensationalistic title), at some point Neo/J may be merged with the official OOo, and boom, that's our Mac port.
Oh, I see. Thanks.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jan 20, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
OOo 1.1 really sucks a bit, but have you tried OOo 2.0 beta on Linux or Windows? It's absolutely great. Much better than 1.1. Therefore I think it would be a great thing if NeoOffice/J 2.0 came out.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 12:25 PM

If I were a programmer of some description I would love to help NeoOffice/J as I think the two guys doing it are great! But I'm not so I can't!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
OOo 1.1 really sucks a bit, but have you tried OOo 2.0 beta on Linux or Windows? It's absolutely great. Much better than 1.1. Therefore I think it would be a great thing if NeoOffice/J 2.0 came out.
For this to happen, the following needs to happen:

1. The X11 version of OOo 2.0 needs to compile and run on MacOS X in the X11 environment.
2. It also needs to work as well. NeoOffice can't progress until the X11 version is up and running.
3. The TWO people doing the programming on the NeoOffice/J version need the time to do it, the support of beta testers and volunteers and whatever financial support people are willing to give to continue plugging away at the current version and then to go from the 1.1.x codebase to the 2.x codebase.
4. Any other developers that could spare time to help out would also be a huge bonus.

In other words, it isn't something that is going to happen overnight.

1.1.x may suck a bit, but no more so than most versions of MS Office (I haven't used v.X or 2004 so can't comment). In other words, it is still a highly capable if imperfect app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules