Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > MacNN alternatives?

MacNN alternatives?
bluedog
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2001, 03:16 AM

I have loved the community and forum activity at MacNN. With the recent slowdown and problems with corruption of the database controlling the forums, I'm unable to participate or see any other regular posters who participate frequently. I'm sure I'm not alone in my frustration.

Does anyone have some suggestions for alternatives to MacNN and its forums?

I'd like to have a place that has an active community.

I've visited MacCentral and Macintouch, but their forum organization isn't quite what it is here. Any others? I'd love to find a site and community that functions reasonably quick and reliably. TIA!

My primary interests other than current and breaking Mac News is 2d and 3d graphics and osx news. I also like gaming for its entertainment, but that could be secondary to up-to-date news.

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

<SNAPPER HEAD>
Sep 28, 2001, 07:49 AM

I think Orange Insider is the next best bet. Think Secret's Forum is just too choatically laid out. There is an old MOSR.net forum that looks like no one has visited it in years still up on the net. hmmm...

Whatever you do, absolutely, positively DO NOT GO TO MACNETv2. Kosmo is a complete schmuck. The stuff they try to pass off as journalism is just crap. And the lack of maturity of certain members, who can't take even the slightest hint of argument, is only compounded by the ridiculous dictate that people not criticise Apple or Jobs.

Seems to be a collection of whiners who need to have their egos protected. In short KOSMO and his whole site eats rooster sperm.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2001, 07:53 AM

I'm relatively new here, but the slowdown is indeed frustrating. I have a cable modem, and it take minutes just to get to the forums, let alone post or respond. You might want to check out http://www.macosx.com. I ran across that the other day, so I haven't been on it much yet, but it is another place to check out.

I too like the forums on MacNN, but, unless they fix what's ailing them, I won't put up with the slowness.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

bluedog  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2001, 09:51 AM

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll check them out. If anyone else has sites they know of with active communities for mac users, chime in!

I'll be checking back periodically to see if this slowness in the forums is fixed. Hopefully soon. I checked out the Orange and MacOSX sites. I preferred the MacOSX site for its layout and functionality. Thanx everyone, I'll be seeing ya!

Vive la Macintosh!

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Cipher13
Sep 29, 2001, 12:22 AM

Don't give up just yet guys. We all know how frustrating it is.

You never know... maybe the server is being prepped, hence the minimal attention paid to the current server.

Just give it a week or so...

As for a newly-released design forum, Alnora Design has been re-released. The old databases haven't been imported, but theres not much need... give it a visit. It'll only grow with more people

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2001, 01:01 AM

Give it til Tuesday.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2001, 12:53 AM

I hope this blows over soon, too.

ac2c
Sep 30, 2001, 09:55 PM

Oh well, first it was Monday and now it is Tuesday. Maybe sometime soon. In the meantime you can always try MacAddict Forums at: http://www.macaddict.com Go to the forums and sign up and have fun. At least the server responds the same day that you click on the link.
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you!

rsh
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2001, 09:54 AM

With regret, I think I'm about done with MacNN forums. Someone has dropped the ball *badly* twice this year, with the releases of both 10.0 and 10.1.

What is the point of reading a forum, getting to know a community of people, who's knowledgeable and trustworthy and who isn't, if you can't access that network when you most need the information?

I would completely expect some slowdown due to peak demand for information, but the past few days have been farcical. And NO|ZERO|NONE|NADA|NIL expression of regret or explanation on the MacNN main page until this MORNING.

Sigh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules