Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Installer VISE Installers?

Installer VISE Installers?
blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 07:57 PM

How do I run these Installer VISE installers in 10.4? Everytime I try to run it, it lauches the Script Editor.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 09:38 PM

Did you create the installer yourself or something?

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2005, 10:29 PM

No. I downloaded it. It's a program.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2005, 10:40 PM

Can you open any VISE installers of any kind?

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 03:07 AM

I'm not sure. I just need AIM 4.7 because Adium and Fire are causing me problems.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 03:56 AM

Doesn't answer your Installer Vise question - but how about iChat?

blackbird_1.0  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 05:04 AM

I just wanted to use the official clients for once. They seem to actually work better.

I'll use IChat for AIM, then.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 05:37 AM

It would seem that either the downloads are not completing and are being mis-assigned to Script Editor because of this, or that Launch Services has been told to assign VISE installers to Script Editor (whether intentionally or due to corruption of the Launch Services cache). You could download something like RCDefaultApp to try and re-assign the association, or you could simply delete your Launch Services cache using any of the plethora of cache clearing freeware/shareware apps available (e.g. Onyx, Cocktail, etc) to reset it to the defaults.

sonicdeviant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 08:09 PM

Try using Get Info and adding the ".app" extension to the file name (also click hide extension). I was having the same issue and this fixed the problem.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by sonicdeviant
Try using Get Info and adding the ".app" extension to the file name (also click hide extension). I was having the same issue and this fixed the problem.
A little late to the party, no?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 08:56 PM

The reason you are seeing this is because the installer's filename probably ended with a version number, which caused the OS to think its extension was ".1" or ".2" or some such thing. Unfortunately, Script Editor is set up to register itself to handle a lot of numerical extensions, causing the OS to think that your installers are Script Editor documents rather than applications. This affects a bunch of other stuff that was ported from Classic to Carbon, and thus may not have added an .app extension to the filename - the Avernum trilogy is one such example of an app that was opening with Script Editor a while ago, although hopefully that should be fixed by now since I e-mailed the author and let him know what was happening.

The thing is, I and a few others predicted this happening way back in the 10.1 days when Apple was first implementing this filename extension stuff and we were all arguing about whether or not it was a good idea. Who knew Apple's own apps would end up causing it, though. Long story short, you can fix it by adding ".app" to the end of the filename.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules