Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wanting to buy new MacBook Pro within next two months....

Wanting to buy new MacBook Pro within next two months....
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 01:18 PM

Hi All,

I've been on this site for a while now, always knowing that I would eventually go Apple.

I can't wait to do so, but I have a few questions.

Can I buy Apple Care Protection Plan after a year? And if so, will my MacBook Pro be protected during the first year? And what will be the costs of the protection plan after a year?

I went to my local store and was unsure about whether it was worth the purchase over a MacBook Black and I have to say from what I seen the design and everything is top notch on the Pro and I think the screen of the MacBook black is a bit too small for me. I'll be purchasing the Pro with an education discount so I think its definitely worth the next step.

I'll be using it for the web (many tabs), applications such as iLife, iTunes and possibly iWork if people can recommend that over Office? I'd like a change.

How much of a difference is there between the Nvidia graphics card with the 256mb of video ram compared with the MacBook?

Is 2GB's RAM sufficient for my usage?

I really want a laptop that will last 4-5 years so i'm hoping this will be a good investment. If anyone could continue to talk me into this idea that would be great as its a lot of money for me to spend but I want a laptop for my new postgrad course and I want to continue using this laptop once I am qualified.

I also think Apple laptops are expensive when compared to their Vista counterparts, a friend of mine just bought a 17inch laptop with Vista and its really impressive for half the price i'm going to pay for a 15inch MacBook Pro. But I then think how much better Apple is and totally disregard staying with MS. So if someone could really sell me how great the MacBook Pro is and what people don't know about it then I would greatly appreciate it

Can't wait to get it!!!

Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2008, 01:30 PM

You can't get applecare after the 1 year warranty is up. Applecare adds another 2 years to your coverage, making it a total of 3 years.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You can't get applecare after the 1 year warranty is up. Applecare adds another 2 years to your coverage, making it a total of 3 years.
So you have to buy with purchase in order to have apple care?

Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2008, 01:35 PM

No. Just have to get it before your 1 year runs out.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 01:39 PM

No. Just have to get it before your 1 year runs out.
Ahh okay, yeah thats not a problem thanks for the reply, do you have a MacBook Pro? What are its biggest selling points for you? Thanks for your replies...

Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yes, I have the one in my sig. Biggest selling point (over the MacBook) was, first, screen size (15.4" instead of 13"), and second, form (thin aluminum case, not plastic). It had a very nice set of features/performance too.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 01:50 PM

Yes, I have the one in my sig. Biggest selling point (over the MacBook) was, first, screen size (15.4" instead of 13"), and second, form (thin aluminum case, not plastic). It had a very nice set of features/performance too.
And after the period that you have had it are you still as impressed now as you was back then? How long do you think it will be before you feel the need to purchase a new model?

Cold Warrior
Apr 27, 2008, 01:55 PM

I'm still happy with it. I usually replace my notebooks every 3-4 years.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 01:59 PM

I'm still happy with it. I usually replace my notebooks every 3-4 years.
Thanks for your opinion

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 03:28 PM

For the features and quality of materials (not to mention the operating system), the low end MacBook Pro with the edu discount is a very competitive price. I almost wish I picked one up instead of this MacBook.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 06:23 PM

I have had Mac laptops since the Duos, and the current MBP is the best, truly a spectacular box. My current MBP is a 17" and I really like the additional pixels and screen real estate; however I am a photog involved with heavy graphics apps. IMO the additional pixels and screen real estate of the 15" MBP over the MB are a huge benefit to anyone; the additional pixels and screen real estate of the 17" MBP over the 15" MBP are a significant benefit to graphics folks. Also the 17" is 5-10% faster.

The only benefit of the MB is 6 ounces lighter <yawn> and lower price. The MBP has far superior graphics, PMCIA card slot and Firewire 800. USB 2 is unacceptably slow on Macs, meaning the best external hard drive connection available to MBs is FW400, a significant limitation if you do any work that involves more than the internal drive.

I'll be using it for the web (many tabs), applications such as iLife, iTunes and possibly iWork if people can recommend that over Office?...
I do recommend iWork; all 3 apps are excellent.

For the apps you list a MB will do fine; the real benefits of a MBP show when you move to more substantial apps, particular anything to do with images. That's when the far superior pixel count and screen real estate of the MBP really outperform.

Good luck!

-Allen Wicks

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 03:22 PM

SierraDragon, how can the 17" be faster - hasn't the 15" got the same CPU and graphics card?

As soon as I sell my iMac, I'm getting a 15" with the 512M graphics card. I've already got a 22" monitor for home use, now I just need Apple to bring out a full sized wireless keyboard instead of the door stop they have at the moment.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2008, 04:03 PM

The previous MBP 15" 2.2GHZ model is still available from MacMall at around $1525.

The least expensive place to purchase AppleCare is at the L.A. Computer Company. I believe that they charge the same price as the educational discount; it is a significant savings compared to the full retail price.

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the replies

I am tempted to purchase Aperture 2, I really would like to get into photography....

I know a MacBook would do me fine, but I really like powerful P.C's and don't want any limitations, as I see it i'm spending a lot on a MacBook so might as well spend that little bit more for the MacBook Pro.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
SierraDragon, how can the 17" be faster - hasn't the 15" got the same CPU and graphics card?
Mark probably knows the exact reason, I do not. However in general the reason is that the 17" can be set to higher performance (more heat output) because all the componentry is not crammed into such a small space. BareFeats.com probably has tests.

-Allen Wicks

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
I am tempted to purchase Aperture 2, I really would like to get into photography.... I know a MacBook would do me fine, but I really like powerful P.C's and don't want any limitations, as I see it i'm spending a lot on a MacBook so might as well spend that little bit more for the MacBook Pro.
Everything you are saying says go for the MBP. Note that a significant MBP upgrade is very likely in the June/July, maybe August time frame. That means improving deals on existing MBPs, or going for the stronger newer model.

-Allen Wicks

Jason25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Thanks for the replies

I am tempted to purchase Aperture 2, I really would like to get into photography....

I know a MacBook would do me fine, but I really like powerful P.C's and don't want any limitations, as I see it i'm spending a lot on a MacBook so might as well spend that little bit more for the MacBook Pro.
I just purchased a 2.4 MBP with Aperture 2, which will be here tomorrow. I've been using a 12" Powerbook G4 for the last 3 years, and have found the small screen VERY limiting for what I do (naturally). I wasn't into photography when I got the 12", but am heavy into it now. I know for a fact I'll love the extra real estate on the screen, and can't wait to try Aperture as well. I wouldn't get a regular Macbook if you *really* intend to get into photography.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The high end 15" and the 17" have the same CPU and GPU, but the GPU core and VRAM are clocked higher on the 17". At least that was certainly the case with the last generations. This is due to the additional space on the 17" that allows more heat to be dissipated.

Of course if you're doing something like CS3 that doesn't benefit from 3D acceleration you won't notice this difference. On the other hand people that do 3D games, OpenGL, Aperture, Motion, etc. will.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 11:46 AM

Right, this thread looks like its going to cost me !!!!

A 17" it is then.

hokie17
Apr 29, 2008, 01:09 PM

I fail to see why 7 fps is worth an extra $300 for the 17" over the 15".
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 05:25 PM

7 fps could mean the difference between LIFE AND DEATH !!!!!

hokie17
Apr 29, 2008, 05:30 PM

Heheh... well if you buy the 17" for the extra resolution, I could justify it. Too big for me though, I'm happy with my 15".
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by hokie17 View Post
I fail to see why 7 fps is worth an extra $300 for the 17" over the 15".
Correct, it is not about the small speed improvement, it is about the huge improvement in screen real estate and pixel count. Well worth the $300 for anyone who deals with graphic images and will be largely using the MBP as a laptop rather than plugged to a large external display.

-Allen Wicks

hokie17
Apr 29, 2008, 10:32 PM

True enough, but then you have the lack of portability compared to the 15" MBP to consider. Chalk it up to personal taste.

Then again, the only gaming I do on my MBP is old stuff like TIE Fighter, some NES ROMs, and occasionally Knights of the Old Republic. I'm deep into Super Mario Galaxy right now, though.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by hokie17 View Post
True enough, but then you have the lack of portability compared to the 15" MBP to consider. Chalk it up to personal taste.
Yes, of course that's what it's about!

There is no right or wrong MBP. Some people need pixels more than they care about weight/size. Others need space savings more than they need pixels. Some are on a budget, while others don't care what their MBP costs. That's why Apple makes several models. Anybody who can't understand this is bound to fuel senseless flame wars.

The best you can do on a forum like this is point out various features, their cost, and possible drawbacks. In the end the buyer has to decide how he weights these aspects. All these "you should buy the xyz, only an idiot would buy uvw" posts are silly.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2008, 03:40 AM

When is apple going to offer MBP 15" with a WUXGA screen? Dell D830 have it as $150 upgrade option, how hard could it be?
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
When is apple going to offer MBP 15" with a WUXGA screen? Dell D830 have it as $150 upgrade option, how hard could it be?
I don't know if its a question of when but IF

Personally I don't see the need and I think its incredibly hard to read on a 15" display but there are people who would like the option. They've been clamoring for that option for sometime and so far nada and so its conceivable that apple won't go that route.

RedSoxOrtizRox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2008, 07:03 AM

except I have a fair amount of experience with Macs. However, what I have heard from multiple places (including this forum, in fact) is that apple is planning to entirely redesign the MBP possibly in June or July of this year

Does anyone know any more about this than I do? While I, personally, think that the current MBP design is perfection, that's what I thought about the Titanium PowerBook and the black PowerBook before it. If there's one thing I know about Apple, it's that they're good at improving upon what I always believe to be design perfection

I'd also love to see a Blu-ray drive intergrated, but I'm sure there's currently some power consumption problem...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by RedSoxOrtizRox View Post
except I have a fair amount of experience with Macs. However, what I have heard from multiple places (including this forum, in fact) is that apple is planning to entirely redesign the MBP possibly in June or July of this year

Does anyone know any more about this than I do? While I, personally, think that the current MBP design is perfection, that's what I thought about the Titanium PowerBook and the black PowerBook before it. If there's one thing I know about Apple, it's that they're good at improving upon what I always believe to be design perfection

I'd also love to see a Blu-ray drive intergrated, but I'm sure there's currently some power consumption problem...
I've read the power consumption issue has actually been solved-- but so far I've only seen it on the super high end laptops which generally cost much more than the mbp. I'm not sure if Apple will include a blu-ray drive first or eliminate the optical drive altogether like the did on the macbook air. I'd like to see it on a mbp too though!

Forum Links
Forum Rules