Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cars 2 - Reviews not so good

Cars 2 - Reviews not so good (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 24, 2011, 10:28 AM

Also a Ratatouille fan.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Speaking of Jar Jar... The NYT's review points out that "Pixar has now found its redneck Jar-Jar Binks", which I find disturbing because we all know how well-loved Jar-Jar is.
Pixar’s ‘Cars 2,’ With Larry the Cable Guy and Owen Wilson - Review - NYTimes.com
Speaking of reviews...

Ouch.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2011, 07:00 PM

I tend to like movies that critics hate. So I'll probably love Cars 2.

hayesk
Jun 25, 2011, 02:46 PM

The other thing to consider is that many critics are just waiting for a Pixar movie to hate. I imagine many of them used Cars 2 as the excuse, and were extra critical.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Also a Ratatouille fan.
We get it, we get it. Everyone likes Ratatouille except me. I don't know if just can't get my head around sewer rats preparing food or what, but for the record I'll take a redneck Larry the Cable Guy over a pompous Patton Oswald any day.

That said, we were at the theater Friday and there was a group of no fewer than 12 kids there seeing Cars 2 for the second time. Their parents were taking their pictures in front of the large cardboard cutouts in the lobby. So, even if this one is a kind of a stinker, I'm guessing it will sell plenty of merchandise this year. So yea...better buckle up for Cars 3.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
The other thing to consider is that many critics are just waiting for a Pixar movie to hate. I imagine many of them used Cars 2 as the excuse, and were extra critical.
If they were just looking for a movie to hate, that could have been Cars, as it definitely wasn't up to the Pixar par IMO.

I have little doubt that this movie really is significantly worse. It's not fair for me to say that since I haven't actually seen it, but I have no desire to see it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2011, 02:38 AM

Saw it. It's a marketing vehicle for toys and the Cars Land expansion at Disneyland, no doubt about it, but it's not terrible. Better than 90% of the stuff Dreamworks puts out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 10:12 AM

I think it's something far less nefarious; Pixar's string of success has left critics comparing Pixar to Pixar. So Cars 2 to may not be a terrible movie compared to the summer lot, but as far as the Pixar library concerned, it's the bottom of the heap.

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
We get it, we get it. Everyone likes Ratatouille except me. I don't know if just can't get my head around sewer rats preparing food or what, but for the record I'll take a redneck Larry the Cable Guy over a pompous Patton Oswald any day.
Well, there's your problem.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think it's something far less nefarious; Pixar's string of success has left critics comparing Pixar to Pixar. So Cars 2 to may not be a terrible movie compared to the summer lot, but as far as the Pixar library concerned, it's the bottom of the heap.
Some of the critics are saying it's simply a bad movie, by any reasonable measure.

Nonetheless it's brought in a crapload of money so far, $68 million in the first weekend. That's as much as Up did (in nominal dollars). It did have the advantage of being on 7700 screens (!) though.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2011, 12:03 PM

If it helps finance the next Finding Nemo or Incredibles, I'm ok with it.

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2011, 01:07 PM

I don't think we need more nemo (maybe a short if anything) but another incredibles is a MUST.

hayesk
Jun 27, 2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Some of the critics are saying it's simply a bad movie, by any reasonable measure.
I don't rate most critics' ability to judge a movie better than anyone else. They just managed to get someone to listen to them. I've disagreed with many critics over the years.

Some of the better ones will give reasons why they didn't like a particular while others just string random words together and seem to focus more on creating witty insults than stop and think if it is actually relevant to the content they are reviewing.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2011, 02:17 PM

I think that if you are looking for a fun movie with some cars driving around and stuff blowing up that kids would enjoy then Cars 2 is an enjoyable movie.

If you are looking for more then that you will be disappointed.

I seriously doubt that big fans of the first movie are going to go and see this and feel like it was a bad movie.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2011, 03:19 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2011, 03:24 PM

Wow.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2011, 03:27 PM

I'm betting that we're getting something on par with Incredibles with this one.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I don't think we need more nemo (maybe a short if anything) but another incredibles is a MUST.
sorry, didn't mean a sequel, just another high-quality movie in that vein.

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2011, 03:54 PM

Brave does look good.

edit: bwahaha

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...gone-wrong.php
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jun 27, 2011 at 04:02 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2011, 04:03 PM

Here's a plot description from the official website.

SPOILERS (the kind you might find on the back of a DVD box)

Since ancient times, stories of epic battles and mystical legends have been passed through the generations across the rugged and mysterious Highlands of Scotland. In “Brave,” a new tale joins the lore when the courageous Merida (voice of Kelly Macdonald) confronts tradition, destiny and the fiercest of beasts. Merida is a skilled archer and impetuous daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (voice of Kevin McKidd), surly Lord Macintosh (voice of Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (voice of Robbie Coltrane). Merida’s actions inadvertently unleash chaos and fury in the kingdom, and when she turns to an eccentric old Witch (voice of Julie Walters) for help, she is granted an ill-fated wish. The ensuing peril forces Merida to discover the meaning of true bravery in order to undo a beastly curse before it’s too late.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 27, 2011, 04:06 PM

Jesus, nice cast.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2011, 11:43 PM

In other "Pixar sucks" news, looks like they're making a Toy Story 4.

andi*pandi
Jun 28, 2011, 07:59 AM

no no no. say it ain't so.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/tom-h..._article_49928

http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/...a-toy-story-4/

But I'm glad to hear there's a short before Cars2.

hayesk
Jul 4, 2011, 09:58 AM

That's hardly a confirmation, more like a "shut up about it and let's move on." Could be more TS shorts for all we know.

Anyway, back on topic. I finally saw Cars 2 yesterday. The critics are full of * - this was a solid action/spy thriller. Great visuals, great acting, funny in parts, action-packed in parts (most parts) and was generally just fun to watch. This isn't a typical character development movie, nor should it have been. There was no further to go with character development past the first one. It was just a fun action movie. Unless you hated the first Cars, go see it.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2011, 06:58 PM

As a couple of folks here have said, Cars 2 seems to be just a fun movie for kids...which I think all it was intended to be. Not every movie has to have the emotional impact of a Nemo or an Up. Kids are enjoying it, and it's made $116M at the box-office so far (and the merch is where it will bring in the real money), so I don't think it can be listed as a failure by any stretch. That said, I will be interested to see Brave, which looks like it could be a richer film overall.

finboy
Jul 5, 2011, 12:53 PM

Must be something like this going on, because I couldn't find anything wrong with the movie. It may be over the heads of the youngest kids, and a little long for that attention span, but other than that I thought it was great.

Visually it was stunning - many of the backgrounds around the world were photo-realistic IMO.

I enjoyed it. My 4-year old enjoyed it too.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 02:49 PM

I took my kids to see it last night. I thought it was just fine. Not a knock out like "the Incredibles," but not at all bad. Of course, after having read this thread first, maybe my expectations were lower.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules