Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to install L2cache properly?

How to install L2cache properly?
bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 09:49 PM

Does anyone have experience with the 6250 class machines. This is around the same release as the 7100/8100 class machines (next gen with a 603e processor).

This particular model had the option for a 256k L2 cache, which mine doesn't have. It is an all-in-one model with CD-ROM and video-in ports. It is undeniably slower than it needs to be at 100mHz because it has no level two cache. I have three cache cards that should work and are recognized in a 7100 and 8100 I have. BUT, when I put these in the 5260, it either doesn't give a startup sound and refuses to boot (no sound/video or anything but startup of fan and drive power).

OR, it booted without performing as if it is installed. The system profiler shows no installed level two cache. I don't know what could be causing this machine to not recognize it. It there a jumper to clip (which was not needed in ANY other model that I know of)? Anyone know what could be causing this?

I don't absolutely know the sizes of each card, or if it is related to each outcome. But I know one is a 256k cache and the other is either a 512k or more likely 1MB. In any case, I don't believe it would fail to work with the 1MB. I believe the specs showing an optional 256 just happened to be what Apple offered for this machine, and not what its limitations or spec could handle.

[ 03-09-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules