Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Home studio : MOTU 896HD or Pro Tools Digi002 Rack

Home studio : MOTU 896HD or Pro Tools Digi002 Rack
swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 19, 2004, 04:07 PM

Im really impressed with the MOTU 896HD with its 8 mic/line/instrument inputs which accept XLR too. It comes with Audio Desk which I would certainly upgrade to Digital Performer.

BUT

I have used Pro Tools before minimally while I was assisting a record studio where my band recorded our last album; and I really feel compfrtable with Pro Tools.
The thing is though the Digi002 Rack only has 4 XLR's. It has 8 1/4" line inputs but Im wondering if the 4 extras XLR's with the 896HD are more important than my familiarity with PT.

I really want to just get one of these bundles and stick with their software insted of making two purchases and mixing software and hardware devs.

What do you suggest?

BTW, I plan to record pretty much exclusively standard rock type instruments. Drums, guitars, vocals, keyboards.

Oh yeah:
Mac OSX 10.3
Dual Gig Quciksilver
and One gig 15" Aluminum Powerbook for portable work.

Thanks

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Im really impressed with the MOTU 896HD with its 8 mic/line/instrument inputs which accept XLR too. It comes with Audio Desk which I would certainly upgrade to Digital Performer.

BUT

I have used Pro Tools before minimally while I was assisting a record studio where my band recorded our last album; and I really feel compfrtable with Pro Tools.
The thing is though the Digi002 Rack only has 4 XLR's. It has 8 1/4" line inputs but Im wondering if the 4 extras XLR's with the 896HD are more important than my familiarity with PT.

I really want to just get one of these bundles and stick with their software insted of making two purchases and mixing software and hardware devs.

What do you suggest?

BTW, I plan to record pretty much exclusively standard rock type instruments. Drums, guitars, vocals, keyboards.

Oh yeah:
Mac OSX 10.3
Dual Gig Quciksilver
and One gig 15" Aluminum Powerbook for portable work.

Thanks
I like DP4, thought I haven't used PT much, I have heard DP is close to PT. You can get a preamp that goes has 8 XLRs to ADAT optical to go into the Digi002r.

But if you want all in one, the 896 is probably your best. You may want to head over to Unicornation.com to check on some of the issues if you plan to use DP on a Powerbook.

swiz  (op)
GUI Punk
Jan 19, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
I like DP4, thought I haven't used PT much, I have heard DP is close to PT. You can get a preamp that goes has 8 XLRs to ADAT optical to go into the Digi002r.

But if you want all in one, the 896 is probably your best. You may want to head over to Unicornation.com to check on some of the issues if you plan to use DP on a Powerbook.
Ok will do. If I do use DP on my PB it will be just to tweak some stuff while away from the studio. (ie, I will not be planning to do any recording using the PB.)

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 09:02 PM

also check up in rec.audio.pro . if you really want good preamps you'll have to pony up if you truly want/need 8 channels. my pet favorite (not that i've used it) is the metric halo uln-2, but then again, it's only stereo. some day...

Forum Links
Forum Rules