Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > UK Muslims Urged to Fight Terror

UK Muslims Urged to Fight Terror
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 06:20 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3586565.stm

The Muslim Council of Britain has taken the unprecedented step of writing to every British mosque, urging people to help in the fight against terror.

Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed the move saying it made clear that terrorism "has nothing to do with the true message of Islam".
Please read the full text of the letter.
Following the criminal terrorist attack on the Madrid trains, and despite our immediate, public and unequivocal condemnation of those atrocities some, however, continue to associate Islam with terrorism by using such misleading terms as 'Islamic terrorist'. The words of the Qur'an are clear:

"He who killed any person, unless it be a person guilty of manslaughter, or of spreading chaos in the land, should be looked upon as though he had slain all mankind, and he who saved one life should be regarded as though he had saved the lives of all mankind."(5:32)
So there you have it.

I'm happy to see this. The MCB are quite an influential organisation, therefore I hope their message reaches far and wide and helps to reinforce the fact that there is a distinction to be made between Islam and terrorism.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 31, 2004, 07:06 PM

Good. But I fear these people will be seen as traitors to the fundis.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3586565.stm

Please read the full text of the letter.

So there you have it.

I'm happy to see this. The MCB are quite an influential organisation, therefore I hope their message reaches far and wide and helps to reinforce the fact that there is a distinction to be made between Islam and terrorism.
*Standing ovation*

Mucho props to them for having the stones to say it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 10:21 PM

I'm glad they pointed out that you should not kill innocents and tell other to teach that.

But what I'm most happy about in this letter is that they finally seem to have decided to fight against the misrepresentation in the media. I've been thinking about doing that myself here on Iceland since there aren't many muslims here, and I'm sick and tired of hearing about "Islamic" terrorism, and "Muslim" terrorists. Something needs to be done about that since it is happening in every media outlet in the western world. And by doing that without any rebuttals from the muslim community the media bears responsibility for anti-Islamic BS we see from certain members here as well as in our daily lives.

So, i hope this works and that they will be able to silence every "muslim" that claims it is Islamic to kill innocents, and at the same time get the media to stop their misrepresentation of Islam.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

dcolton
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Logic:

I'm glad they pointed out that you should not kill innocents and tell other to teach that.

But what I'm most happy about in this letter is that they finally seem to have decided to fight against the misrepresentation in the media. I've been thinking about doing that myself here on Iceland since there aren't many muslims here, and I'm sick and tired of hearing about "Islamic" terrorism, and "Muslim" terrorists. Something needs to be done about that since it is happening in every media outlet in the western world. And by doing that without any rebuttals from the muslim community the media bears responsibility for anti-Islamic BS we see from certain members here as well as in our daily lives.

So, i hope this works and that they will be able to silence every "muslim" that claims it is Islamic to kill innocents, and at the same time get the media to stop their misrepresentation of Islam.
I thought there were no Mulsim leaders, Logic!

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2004, 04:28 PM

It's good news. What took so long?

dcolton
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 04:34 PM

Now just to get ME countries to do the same. But a step in the right direction.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
It's good news. What took so long?
Actually, many mosques have been vocal about their condemnation of "Islamic" fundamentalism since 9/11. Just because you didn't hear about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2004, 05:27 PM

Actually, many mosques have been vocal about their condemnation of "Islamic" fundamentalism since 9/11. Just because you didn't hear about it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
I'm glad to hear it.

Lerkfish
Apr 2, 2004, 05:32 PM

Actually, quite a few did. I recall we covered some local mosques and the islamic community who all came out condemning the violence of 9/11.

It just wasn't covered as well as it should have been.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
Actually, quite a few did. I recall we covered some local mosques and the islamic community who all came out condemning the violence of 9/11.

It just wasn't covered as well as it should have been.
Good to hear. A shame it didn't reach far and wide in the States then.

dcolton
Banned
Apr 2, 2004, 06:00 PM

Of course they condemned it after 9/11. They took down the WTC and they new that someone in the muslim world was going to face the fury of the good ol' USA. Besides, a letter and/ or a statement is one thing and a step in the right direction, but there needs to be more. How about a nice grass roots peace movement. I would love to see muslims dancing in the streets to protest violence...not to encourage it.

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
Of course they condemned it after 9/11. They took down the WTC and they new that someone in the muslim world was going to face the fury of the good ol' USA. Besides, a letter and/ or a statement is one thing and a step in the right direction, but there needs to be more. How about a nice grass roots peace movement. I would love to see muslims dancing in the streets to protest violence...not to encourage it.
This odd association between Islam and Terrorism is baffling. We don't all start questioning the teachings of the faiths of every other individual that has committed a terrorist act.

Real Muslims are suffering a great deal because of the actions of some and the ignorance that the media has spread.

Sad times.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2004, 07:45 PM

It was also a little overshadowed by the events at Finsbury Park.

Forum Links
Forum Rules