Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car insurance: who and how much?

Car insurance: who and how much?
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 12:15 AM

Well my current policy is up for renewal next month and I'm thinking about switching companies to save some money. I'm currently on AMCO through Allied paying $352/6 months on a four door sedan from 1996. I've never been in an accident and I've only had one ticket, and that was in July of 2003; 96 in a 55, which resulted in a 7 month license suspension. My record has been squeaky clean before and since then.
I've checked out American Family, Progressive, AIG and Geico, and so far Geico's the only one that's cheaper, at $301/6 months. I'm only looking for liability since if I did more I'd end up paying the entire value of the car in less than a couple years.
My question: Where's the best/cheapest place to get insurance. Who's got the best rates/service/etc?

mindwaves
Jul 7, 2006, 12:48 AM

State Farm
2005 Civic EX 4-dr
Now: $800/6 months; 1 month ago was $1200/6 months
Lowered by qualifying for a new discount and raising my deductible to $1000
( Last edited by mindwaves; Jul 7, 2006 at 12:05 PM. )

Rumor
Jul 7, 2006, 01:13 AM

This happens to be right up my alley, since I am a fully licensed insurance agent in California.

IIRC, you are quite young, so going with a high risk company, i.e. Geico, for now could work to your benefit. However, do a little bit of research first. Geico has a tendancy to be horrible at thier claims handling. Progressive could be a better choice, as thier claims handling is fairly well and thier premiums are fair. Depending on where you go to school (you do go to college, right?), check with the school, as some companies might give you a good deal for going to school there.

I highly suggest picking up a renters policy. The premium for the renters policy usually will be offset by the discount you will receive on your auto policy. Plus, a renters policy will cover things like cds and ipods if they are stolen while anywhere in the world including your car (auto policy will not cover this).

You can also try to be added to your parents household. This will allow you to receive all of thier benefits for any multi-line discount they recieve, plus any discounts they get for being with thier company for however many years. When you ask them (if you do), thier own rates do not get affected by your actions. Penalties apply to the driver and not the household.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2006, 01:48 AM

I pay about 75 a month for a 05 Mustang V6 Coupe Mercury Insurance.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2006, 02:29 AM

I just got esurance, $600/6 month policy for a '99 Saturn 4-Door, pretty bare-bones coverage.

I'm sure it'd be a ton cheaper if I lived elsewhere.
ice

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 07:42 AM

$960/12 month for a Saab 900. But that includes 2.000.000 in liability cover rather than the usual one million.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 07:50 AM

Anyone in your family in the US Military? If so... look into USAA. I've yet to see anyone beat their rates. I'm not even sure what I'm paying... but is definitely way less than the $1800/6 months I used to pay w/ State Farm (albeit that was when I was in college).

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2006, 07:59 AM

Drop collision and comprehensive on that '96 and save the money to replace it. Get liability only.

It's hard to get 6 months of insurance for much below $300 nowadays. Back in '97, I was paying $99/6 mo. on a '87 Fiero, liability only and that was in Michigan.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor
This happens to be right up my alley, since I am a fully licensed insurance agent in California.

IIRC, you are quite young, so going with a high risk company, i.e. Geico, for now could work to your benefit. However, do a little bit of research first. Geico has a tendancy to be horrible at thier claims handling. Progressive could be a better choice, as thier claims handling is fairly well and thier premiums are fair. Depending on where you go to school (you do go to college, right?), check with the school, as some companies might give you a good deal for going to school there.
I am still young, at 20.
Progressive is about twice as much as what I'm paying currently. I'm not going to switch to a more expensive company. If I do anything, it will be to lower the premiums.
I highly suggest picking up a renters policy. The premium for the renters policy usually will be offset by the discount you will receive on your auto policy. Plus, a renters policy will cover things like cds and ipods if they are stolen while anywhere in the world including your car (auto policy will not cover this).
I'll be living in a dorm during the school year and in a rented house during the summer. Would renter's insurance apply everywhere?
You can also try to be added to your parents household. This will allow you to receive all of thier benefits for any multi-line discount they recieve, plus any discounts they get for being with thier company for however many years. When you ask them (if you do), thier own rates do not get affected by your actions. Penalties apply to the driver and not the household.
This is out of the question. After that little ticket I got, my parents' insurance company told them to drop me or they'd get dropped. I spent about 6 months on a non-owner's policy driving my parents' cars until I finally bought my own, when I went to liability only on Allied. Last year my premiums dropped from $450/6 months down to $350, as I hadn't had any tickets for a couple years.
I just checked at esurance, and they don't offer in Iowa, but they gave me a link to comparisonmarket.com. I got quotes from Drive from Progressive ($209), Hartford ($223), and SafeCo ($518). I might give progressive a call and verify how accurate that quote was, and if so I might just go with them.

Rumor
Jul 7, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I am still young, at 20.
Progressive is about twice as much as what I'm paying currently. I'm not going to switch to a more expensive company. If I do anything, it will be to lower the premiums.
Drive from Progressive is still the same company.

I'll be living in a dorm during the school year and in a rented house during the summer. Would renter's insurance apply everywhere?
I'm not sure about the dorm room, but the rented house is a go. Ask your agent when you talk to them about the dorm room. It should fly.

This is out of the question. After that little ticket I got, my parents' insurance company told them to drop me or they'd get dropped. I spent about 6 months on a non-owner's policy driving my parents' cars until I finally bought my own, when I went to liability only on Allied. Last year my premiums dropped from $450/6 months down to $350, as I hadn't had any tickets for a couple years.
What company are they with?

I just checked at esurance, and they don't offer in Iowa, but they gave me a link to comparisonmarket.com. I got quotes from Drive from Progressive ($209), Hartford ($223), and SafeCo ($518). I might give progressive a call and verify how accurate that quote was, and if so I might just go with them.
Best bet is to always get quotes directly from the companies either via internet or phone. I'm spending about $106 a month with Progressive and carry decent liability with a $250 ded for comp and coll, which isn't the company I work for. I'm fairly young myself (24), so this was my best option.

You could drop collision to save money, since that is where the bulk of your premium usually goes. I do not recommend dropping comp since it covers glass breakage and hitting an animal like a deer.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 12:03 PM

Well right now I only have liability, so if I wanted comp or collision, I would have to add. Going right to Progressive's site gave me a quote of like $700/6 months, but going to the multi-quote site gave me the cheaper quote, I suppose I'd have to talk to them directly to get the best idea.

Rumor
Jul 7, 2006, 12:15 PM

Drive is bought directly from a broker. Try finding a local broker. Best of luck on your hunt.

Depending on your grades, you might be eligable for a discount there also.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2006, 12:16 PM

Yep, I've got at least a 3.0. That saved me a bunch last year.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 03:54 AM

Does anyone know how companies calculate the rate? Let's say you're looking for the bare bones liability insurance. You have a spotless record but are still young (20/21) and have been owned a license for 4 years. Is simply being 20 or 21 and male going to put you in a high payment bracket?

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 06:18 AM

96 in a 55. Whoa. Where was the fire?

I work on an ambulance and spend a fair bit of time driving it. Even when in an emergency and on the highway I never bring it above 80.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 07:18 AM

Get full comprehensive. The only sure thing about insurance is that you are going to use it one day.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post

I work on an ambulance and spend a fair bit of time driving it. Even when in an emergency and on the highway I never bring it above 80.
I was 17 and bored...what can I say.

Well it's been 3 years since the ticket, I'm no longer required to file the SR-22, I've never been in an accident, so my rate has been dropping. My dad took the quotes I printed off to his insurance broker and they offered me insurance for $185/6 months, with liability and slightly upgraded coverage. If I went with full comp/collission I'd end up paying the value of my car in insurance in a couple years.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 06:06 PM

I pay $273/6 months for liability with 1 speeding ticket.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I pay $273/6 months for liability with 1 speeding ticket.
I'd also be willing to bet your car's worth more than mine.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 07:11 PM

My Volvo isn't insured anymore since it is kinda dead, and insurance is more than the worth of the whole car.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 08:07 PM

I pay $900/year or $75/month for my '88 S10. Just liability from TD.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I'd also be willing to bet your car's worth more than mine.
1994 Toyota 4x4 Pickup. 110k miles. My speeding ticket was for doing 70 in a 65 on "Zero Tolerance" day.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 10:17 PM

Haven't seen this one mentioned: credit history. If you have a low score or no history (which also equates to a low score), your rates will be much higher than those with 700+ FICO scores. Insurers' research shows them that high-score people tend to file fewer claims.

So build some credit history if you can. A no-fee credit card, which you don't abuse, is a good way to start.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Is simply being 20 or 21 and male going to put you in a high payment bracket?
Yes. It's a simple matter of statistics. That demographic has a much higher accident rate.
Vandelay Industries

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post

Which is good, because when I took the CEVO course they told us no more than 5 miles over. ever.
obviously not followed, but I have never done 80 . . . with a patient.

Does it matter how long you have had your license for or only your age? I got my license at 16 so I feel like my rates should lower at 23 instead of 25 since many states have the age at 18.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 11:24 PM

Mercury Insurance:

Liability, comprehensive, collision. $500 deductible. $1200/6 mos in California. Over 25 years old. Good driver and long term insurance discount. I'm paying too much.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by bradoesch View Post
I pay $900/year or $75/month for my '88 S10. Just liability from TD.
Ouch! Do you have a clean record? My car's 8 years newer than that and I'm paying about $31/month.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 12:49 AM

$212/mo

Massachusetts sucks for insurance rates.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 01:01 AM

There are so many factors that determine your rate that it's almost impossible to ask others what their rates are to determine what yours would be.

Here's a list of some of the factors I could think of:
  • Car
  • Coverage
  • Demographic
  • Driving History
  • Zip Code
  • Where the car is kept
  • What you use it for
  • How much you drive it
  • Credit History
  • Multiple policies
  • How long you've been a customer

So definitely shop around.
Vandelay Industries

Rumor
Nov 29, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Which is good, because when I took the CEVO course they told us no more than 5 miles over. ever.
obviously not followed, but I have never done 80 . . . with a patient.

Does it matter how long you have had your license for or only your age? I got my license at 16 so I feel like my rates should lower at 23 instead of 25 since many states have the age at 18.
It depends on the state. Here it is driving experience (ie years licensed) as opposed to some states that are age.

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Mercury Insurance:

Liability, comprehensive, collision. $500 deductible. $1200/6 mos in California. Over 25 years old. Good driver and long term insurance discount. I'm paying too much.
Be a little more specific. That is $200 a month. What vehicle, years driving, and actually coverages.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
$212/mo

Same as above.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
$212/mo

When I lived in Colorado, I payed $310/month. I hate Colorado.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 01:21 AM

My question: Where's the best/cheapest place to get insurance. Who's got the best rates/service/etc?
Frankly this is way too dependent on where you live, how far you drive, your age, driving history, and other factors for anyone here to give an educated answer. Just get a bunch of quotes. For example, I often hear people talk about how Progressive and Geico are cheap, but they would have cost me 2-3x what I'm paying now. Personally I'd love to pay $356/6mo for car insurance. We're paying $850/6mo to cover my wife and myself and I thought that was a pretty darn good deal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 02:21 PM

I drive a 00 GMC Sonoma, I've had my fair share of tickets and a few accidents under my belt.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 02:18 AM

MEEMIC

About $2000/yr.
comprehensive and collision
I think the deductible is $500

No tickets in the last 10 years

I am 35 and my wife is 33

Two cars:
2003 Chevy Venture
2004 Chevy Cavalier

I am thinking about dropping the coverage on the cavalier to just liability and that should have our yearly payment down to around $1200 for both cars.

Rumor
Nov 30, 2006, 02:32 AM

That's high, even for Michigan. You should shop around. You should only be paying $350 - 400 every six months per vehicle.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
That's high, even for Michigan. You should shop around. You should only be paying $350 - 400 every six months per vehicle.
I don't purchase my insurance based upon getting the lowest price.

MEEMIC is by far the best insurance company I have ever used. Their service is outstanding and payment on claims is no questions asked and you can take your car any where for repairs. With genuine GM parts, not refurbished or non OEM parts. Car rental is with an equal or better car.

And actually, it's quite a good price for Michigan. Better than anyone I know with similar cars and coverage by about $500/yr.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 06:38 AM

What's with your insurance rates? Are Americans such lousy drivers?
I pay ~300 a year with what would be translated to american contracts, liability only. A very high powered car can cost me up to 500/year, also depending is your driving history and insurance time of course.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
I pay ~300 a year with what would be translated to american contracts, liability only. A very high powered car can cost me up to 500/year, also depending is your driving history and insurance time of course.

PB.
It has nothing to do with Americans and their ability to drive. Why do you morons spout crap like this? Ignorance.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
It has nothing to do with Americans and their ability to drive. Why do you morons spout crap like this? Ignorance.
Angry much today Railroader?

The general driving skills as a whole DOES bring up insurance prices. I have worked for a multi-national insurance company so I know a fair deal about the formulas that go into calculating insurance rates and how they are adjusted each year. Geographic differences are not just about "bad" or "good" neighborhoods, they are also about local differences in accident rates.

Queensland, where I reside, has a general low rate of driving skills compared to other parts of the country, and insurance rates are higher as a result.

Now, blanket statements such as Powerbook spouted are over the top, but there have been some indications that standarised testing in America has not kept up with the times and rising traffic.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 09:30 AM

Us 'morons' (which is plural. I am only one) can do the math: Insurance premiums are calculated on the statistic average of accidents in relation to driver, car value, etc etc. So if a country has general costs twice or more the general costs of another country it says indeed something about the presumed possibility of accidents.

Oh and btw., some quickly googled numbers:

USA: 43200 deaths in motor accidents in 2005 (295 million people).
Germany: 5362 deaths in motor accidents in 2005 (82 million people).

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Angry much today Railroader?
Over the top remarks are replied to in kind.

The general driving skills as a whole DOES bring up insurance prices.
Really?!?!

I have worked for a multi-national insurance company so I know a fair deal about the formulas that go into calculating insurance rates and how they are adjusted each year. Geographic differences are not just about "bad" or "good" neighborhoods, they are also about local differences in accident rates.
And legal laws and liability lawyers.

Queensland, where I reside, has a general low rate of driving skills compared to other parts of the country, and insurance rates are higher as a result.

Now, blanket statements such as Powerbook spouted are over the top, but there have been some indications that standarised testing in America has not kept up with the times and rising traffic.
Wrong. Every state has it's own testing standards and testing varies widely from state to state.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 09:33 AM

Now, blanket statements such as Powerbook spouted are over the top, ...
Statements don't come with question marks.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 09:36 AM

Us 'morons' (which is plural. I am only one) can do the math: Insurance premiums are calculated on the statistic average of accidents in relation to driver, car value, etc etc. So if a country has general costs twice or more the general costs of another country it says indeed something about the presumed possibility of accidents.
Do those countries that have such cheaper insurance rates also have socialized health care? Do they have the same liability laws?

PB.
Number of drivers and deaths per driver are no indication of ability to drive. You are using some seriously flawed logic.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 10:33 AM

PB.
I'm not sure what incredibly high rates you're speaking of. I'm a high risk driver who lost his license for 7 months, and I'm still under 21, and I'm only paying $370 a year.

Yes, but you fail to realize Germany and America look at driving completely differently. Gas here is $2/gallon, while Germany pays up to $6/gallon. That leads to a lot less people driving and a lot less cars on the road.
I'm in no way trying to say America has better drivers. I know that it's much more difficult and costly to get a license in Germany. All I had to do was take a Drivers Ed class (with a teacher who didn't give a crap so we didn't do anything) over the summer and they practically threw a license at me the day I turned 16.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 07:26 PM

Ouch! Do you have a clean record? My car's 8 years newer than that and I'm paying about $31/month.
Yes, clean record, but I'm 23. I don't know where I'd go to find it even cheaper in Canada.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 10:16 PM

Yes, but you fail to realize Germany and America look at driving completely differently. Gas here is $2/gallon, while Germany pays up to $6/gallon. That leads to a lot less people driving and a lot less cars on the road.
I'm in no way trying to say America has better drivers. I know that it's much more difficult and costly to get a license in Germany. All I had to do was take a Drivers Ed class (with a teacher who didn't give a crap so we didn't do anything) over the summer and they practically threw a license at me the day I turned 16.
This is the sort of testing we are talking about here.

The harder it is to get a test, the better driving skills across the population. Seems like Railroad is just destined to take any indication that rates are high because of general low driving skills as a personal attack.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2006, 10:16 PM

Wrong. Every state has it's own testing standards and testing varies widely from state to state.
Yes, and that invalidates my point exactly how?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 11:29 PM

This is the sort of testing we are talking about here.

The harder it is to get a test, the better driving skills across the population. Seems like Railroad is just destined to take any indication that rates are high because of general low driving skills as a personal attack.
Nope, just clearing the FUD you spew.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 30, 2006, 11:32 PM

Yes, and that invalidates my point exactly how?
Well, when you say things like this...
but there have been some indications that standarised testing in America has not kept up with the times and rising traffic.
...as if it were fact, even though it is the exact opposite. You show you don't know what you expose not only your ignorance, but you willingness to let everyone know spread FUD.

But don't let that bother you now. You certainly have no problems with it as evidence in most of your posting here.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 02:47 AM

Well, when you say things like this...

...as if it were fact, even though it is the exact opposite. You show you don't know what you expose not only your ignorance, but you willingness to let everyone know spread FUD.

But don't let that bother you now. You certainly have no problems with it as evidence in most of your posting here.
OK, now I know that you can't read.

I clearly posted:
but there have been some indications that standarised testing in America has not kept up with the times and rising traffic.
Sources: 1, 2.

This is not invalidated by the fact that testing varies across states.

And in fact I was the one who said that blanket statements like the one Powerbook came with were over the top, being much more diplomatic than yourself.

Oh and: personal attack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules