Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got my first stitches

Got my first stitches
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 11:54 AM

Well, I'll make a long story short. I was heading home after classes yesterday (Friday) and I was going down a hill on my bike pretty quick, when a girl on a bike at the bottom of the hill decided to get out of my way by moving in the same direction I was going to get out of her way. That doesn't work too well when I'm doing about 25. I smashed into her and flew off my bike, ended up going unconscious for about 20 minutes until the ambulance got there. I was taken to the hospital and got 12 stitches in my forehead and some bandages for my right shoulder and hip. My bike front wheel was just about touching the back wheel, it was so mangled, but she was perfectly okay, luckily.
The worst part? This was the second time this year I've taken my iBook to class. It was in a padded laptop bag, but when I flew off of my bike, my backpack came up over my shoulders and the front right corner of the laptop got smashed on the ground through the unpadded zipper.
I pulled it out at the hospital and saw that it was still sleeping, which was a good sign. Until I saw the case broken apart and the battery sticking halfway out. I opened it up and saw the screen had cracked from the top corner all the way across, so about one vertical inch of the left side worked. I'm actually using it right now, as I just got an S-Video adaptor a couple days ago so it's mirrored to the TV. All my data and everything else is great (I backup anyway) but the screen is shot, and it doesn't quite close correctly. The battery kind of fits in, but it still works and completely powers the iBook. My parents came and took me back home, so I'm on crappy dialup, but I'll get some pictures up once I get back to school later this afternoon.
Right now, I'm fine unless I move my right arm, stand up too quickly, or sneeze. Which means I might not be able to play intramural volleyball like I planned on doing, which is totally uncool.
The funny thing is I have been looking at getting a new bike and a new laptop recently, so I guess this is the initiative I need to get on those, except now I can't sell my iBook for as much as I had planned on. At this point, I might keep it and make it a headless DV-R or something. Any suggestions?
( Last edited by Gossamer; Oct 7, 2006 at 01:23 PM. )

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 12:00 PM

what happened to the girl?

-r.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
but she was perfectly okay, luckily.
He can't be meaning the iBook or the Bike so he must mean the Girl.

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 12:57 PM

Just curious, were you wearing a helmet?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by climber
Just curious, were you wearing a helmet?
Considering the stitches he got were on his shoulder and hip, I don’t think it would make much difference...

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 01:13 PM

She was perfectly okay, not a scratch on her. I didn't see her bike, but I can't imagine that it would be in the best of shape.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 01:15 PM

Nope, no helmet. I wore a helmet all summer when I'd ride a mile and a half each way to work, but I never wear a helmet tooling around campus. Would have helped. The stitches were in my forehead, my shoulder and hip are bandaged up.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
ended up going unconscious for about 20 minutes until the ambulance got there
Did doctors examine your head with the help of a scanning device?, I think it is usual after going unconscious, I had a similar issue some months ago, but since I didn't get unconscious doctors told that x-rays were enough…

I hope you are recovering fine, same goes for the iBook

volcano
Senior User
Oct 7, 2006, 05:09 PM

Wow, you're lucky.

Especially when you consider this is the first time you've needed stitches. I wasn't even a year old when my brother decided to smash my forehead into the side of an end table -- an end table with a very sharp and powerful corner. It went in right above my left eye (the top portion of my eyebrow) and I had a multitude of stitches for that one. I don't think he liked the idea of having a younger brother.

Best of luck!

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Did doctors examine your head with the help of a scanning device?, I think it is usual after going unconscious, I had a similar issue some months ago, but since I didn't get unconscious doctors told that x-rays were enough…

I hope you are recovering fine, same goes for the iBook
Yep, I got a CAT scan to make sure I was okay.
Here are a couple pics:

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 07:30 PM

Somebody has an excuse to buy a MacBook...

Hope you heal up fast. Those are you first stitches ever? Dang.

I've had at least 5 instances where I needed stitches. And a few where I should have had them, but didn't. (For instance, I cut my thumb with a steak knife and just used Super Glue and Band-Aids.)

Now you've got a scar story to tell. That's always cool. Chicks dig scars.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 03:48 AM

I was planning on getting a MacBook Pro next summer, after selling my iBook. Those plans are shot though. I don't think I could live with the GMA950 though, and if I'm getting a new computer, I'm getting one I like.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 05:31 AM

Glad your okay. Hope you heal quickly, and sorry about the bike and the iBook. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take off the iBook's screen and make it into a headless unit.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 02:41 PM

Here's the iBook

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2006, 02:44 PM

Ouch.

Couldn't help but notice: VOID WARRANTY If Seal Broken

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2006, 02:46 PM

Ouch! I don't know who got it worse, you or the iBook. Next time get Safeware.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
Ouch.

Couldn't help but notice: VOID WARRANTY If Seal Broken
haha yep, I pulled that off a B&W G3 before I overclocked it.
I actually wouldn't have much use for laptop insurance since it pretty much never left my room...like I said, this is the second time this year. And look what happens.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 10:44 PM

I got safeware. It would cover this very thing- accidental damage. I think it was less than $100 a year.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 02:39 PM

I just got back from getting my bike back from the police, so I have a few crappy cameraphone pictures:

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Considering the stitches he got were on his shoulder and hip, I don’t think it would make much difference...
He was unconscious for a bit! A helmet quite possibly could have helped with that. In fact, I'd say the helmet's purpose is more for softening head/brain impact than it is for prevention of lacerations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules