Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How to format non-Apple IDE hard drives?

How to format non-Apple IDE hard drives?
bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2001, 05:26 PM

I have a 20GB non-apple (Western Digital) EIDE hard drive. It is not supported by the latest FWB and Apple's Drive Setup doesn't even see the drive.

I've tried the few patches suggested to get Drive Setup working, but it hasn't worked.

FWB gives an error before attempting to format, then pretends to format and completes with no apparent effect to the drive.

Does anyone know of a utility (preferrably something that doesn't cost), I've already spent too much and though FWB was the end-all and be-all of formatting utilities.

Any suggestions? This drive is going as a slave drive in a DP533 G4.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2001, 10:28 PM

are your jumpers set? connections fine? does it even spin up? other than that I am clueless.

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

bluedog  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2001, 10:20 AM

Yup, I've installed a different 6GB drive that 'was' an Apple labelled drive.

The 20GB drive is jumpered as 'slave' and my main drive is master. The FWB utilities see the drive, just can't issue the commands to the drive to format. Either it doesn't know the geometry, or have the same command sequences(?).

Tristrami
Senior User
Apr 26, 2001, 11:01 AM

Most IDE drives ship set to "master," so you will need to change this. Also, I thought Western Digital Caviars were mac compatible. The 30gb I just installed had the little blue Mac OS face on the package....

Cipher13
Apr 26, 2001, 11:03 AM

Remove your master HD from the chain, and set up the new one as the master. Boot up from a CD, and use Drive Setup on the drive.

This'll tell us whether theres a problem on your chain.

If that doesn't help, your drive is screwed...

------------------

bluedog  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2001, 09:46 AM

Just an update. I haven't been able to get the 20GB drive to work.

But an interesting note. I took another 13GB drive from another PC I have been setting up with windows. I set it in the PC without formatting it and the MacOS9.1 recognized the drive and mounted it (and started a desktop re'build').

It mounted the PC formatted internal HD without a problem. Selecting erase from the macos only allowed the DOS partition type. I used FWB to erase and format it with HFS+.

Seems like either the particular 20GB drive I have is unsupported in some way, or has something bad. I'll try and reformat it on a PC and get it working!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cipher13
Apr 27, 2001, 09:35 PM

Your drive is bad...
Replace it...

------------------

bluedog  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2001, 05:25 PM

I downloaded the PC software from westerndigital to do formatting and diagnostics. The drive was bad. They'll replace it when I ship it back.

Good to know its not a software problem!

Thanks for your help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules