Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > java IDE hangs...

java IDE hangs...
daqman
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2001, 01:14 PM

I'm trying to develop Java code using OsX. I have Jbuilder 4 but know that needs java 1.3 which doesn't exist, yet, for X. So I dropped back to JB 3.5 and managed to get it to run.

After a minute or so of running the mouse pointer turns to a spinning disk for a few seconds an the program locks up. The pointer then changes back to an arrow and everything works for a short while. This goes on at random intervals until, finally, the application locks up for good. I thought this was maybe a problem with thread sync since I know that JB starts up a lot of threads. I was running on a dual CPU G4 Mac.

Since Jbuilder was causing problems I set up netbeans, same problem. Then I tried jedit, ditto!

Ok. I know people are using jbuilder and other IDEs on OsX so I guessed that this was due to having a dual-CPU machine and repeated everything on my G3 powerbook. I get the same problem only not as bad. I can run for a longer time before the application locks up.

Has anyone got ANY idea what may be causing this. If I can't fix it soon I'll have to switch Java development back to Windoze and I was really looking forward to OsX and being able to thumb my nose at Bill forever ;^)

P.S. Dear Moderator, I can't decide if I should put this in support or developer. My feeling was that it was more likely that others developing Java code would have seen this so putting it in developer would give me the best chance of a response.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

davecom
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2001, 11:52 PM

Do you have enough memory? Sounds like a RAM problem to me.

If not, in the mean time try out the development tools such as project builder, java browser, and others that can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Connection. They're really quite good.

------------------
Think Different.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2001, 12:09 PM

I really liked ProjectBuilder, but I found that after a few hours of development my Java projects would completely crap out and never be useable again, even when I rebuilt them from scratch. PB would lose track of the ClassPath and start reporting this (seriously annoying) error:

"Class Sound already exists in file /com/apple/sun/Sound.java. Please adjust the classpath."

Besides being totally bogus, this has been the bane of Javac since JDK 1.0. You'd think that the compiler would at least check to see if the files are the same file before complaining.

Anyway, this is Sun's problem, not Apple's, since they wrote the compiler.

------------------

daqman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2001, 02:06 PM

davecom asked if I had enough memory. The desktop machine is a dual CPU 450 MHz G4 machine w.th 1.3 GByte of RAM, yes that's 1.3 gigabytes. I took advantage of a macnn deal and added two 512B modules to the machine which I had boutght with 128MB and already upgraded with a 256MB module. I don't know what I need all this RAM for right now but it was very cheap!

I have an apple developer contract and already have the developer tools installed. They work just fine. I also bought CodeWarrior 6.0 but the OSX support ish't quite there yet. The main problem is that I have people using Linux, Win2k and Solaris working for me so JBuilder or NetBeans allow us to share projects.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

IamBob
Senior User
Jan 17, 2001, 03:34 PM

I'm not sure but..

I'm thinking that with a few spare hours you could write a script or 2 that'll copy the named files from the ProjectBuilder project and make a JBuilder project. Of course you'd also want it to do the opposite..but you knew that.

I'm not sure if it can be done and if so how much of a pain it would be though. I always used a texteditor and javac up until I got the Apple Dev Tools so if it's not possible it's not possible. Just an idea.

OSX Final is around the corner too..so if you can wait..

Well, good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules