Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spanish spell check ?

Spanish spell check ?
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2010, 01:40 AM

Ok so I love the fact that MacOS X spells checks as i am writing this, and my emails and all sorts of other stuff....But when i write in spanish it's just annoying ! And it would be really nice if it could spell check my spanish writing as well.

Anyone knows if this is possible ?

Thanks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2010, 04:54 AM

Which version of OS X are you on?

I just turned on spellcheck in 10.6 to check, and it correctly checks both English and Spanish, even in the same document (automatically recognising the current language on the go).

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
Ok so I love the fact that MacOS X spells checks as i am writing this, and my emails and all sorts of other stuff....But when i write in spanish it's just annoying ! And it would be really nice if it could spell check my spanish writing as well.

Anyone knows if this is possible ?

Thanks.
OS X spellchecks spanish automatically when I write it.. it seems to switch between languages by itself in 10.6 which is very nice.. so if I start writing is spanish the OS spellchecks the text as it were spanish. When I write spanish words in an english text the OS also spellchecks that ok.

Perhaps it's because the top two languages in my international preferences are spanish and english (in that order)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2010, 02:57 PM

oh man i'm running 10.5.8 any way to do it in this version ?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
oh man i'm running 10.5.8 any way to do it in this version ?
Well I seem to remember switching manually between languages somewhere so the spellcheck would change to the desired language.

You can right-click (control-click) in a text-field like the one you use to write in replies on forums, and choose from the menu:

Spelling and Grammar>Show Spelling and grammar

Then you get another window, and you can choose the desired language from a pulldown menu.

It's not automatic like in 10.6 but it works..
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules