Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 12 in PB battery won't hold a charge!!

My 12 in PB battery won't hold a charge!!
BladeRunner80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 04:51 AM

I have a 12 in PowerBook that I bought in late August (the 867). I plugged it in to charge it up and a little later I unplugged it to see the battery level, which it showed 100%. Well, I left it plugged in all night and the next morning I unplugged and the battery had no charge. The power plug light was green indicating a full charge. I checked the level via the indicator lights on the bottom of the battery pack and only one of lights lit up, I believe it just flickered. So I booted the machine up (while plugged in) and the plug indicater went back to orange. I then checked the level after unplugging it via the menu bar, and it had little or no charge (in the red). It seems very sporatic, like it has a full charge and the it just discharges itself while plugged in. I have no clue whats going on here. A computer that is almost five months old shouldn't need a new battery. Do I have a bad battery or do you all think this runs deeper? I'm in Seattle visiting relatives, so maybe I'll take it down the apple store where I originally purchased it. I just wanted to see what you all thought of this. Seems kinda crazy!

Thanks,
Bill
iMac G5 (iSight)
Powerbook G4 12"

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 06:07 AM

May just be that the battery's not seated properly having been bumped off its contacts. Take it out and put it back in and then try charging it again. Apart from that, yep, take it to visit Apple.

hodaddy
Jan 18, 2004, 09:37 PM

this happened to me once. i had to reset the power manager. instructions here
if it aint' broke, break it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules