Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which camcorders act as an analog->Firewire converter?

Which camcorders act as an analog->Firewire converter?
starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2004, 01:33 PM

Hi all,
I'm looking to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD. However, I don't have an analog->Firewire converter. I thought it would be more practical to get a camcorder that did the job. I have a Sony at the moment, the model that came about JUST before they started the pass-through support. Which models do this?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

rezzi
Apr 9, 2004, 05:07 PM

While I'm sure there are many models that turn analog into DV, the model I'm using is a JVC (JY-VS200). I also have the Dazzle DV Bridge, which will accept your current cam's signal and turn it into DV via firewire.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 08:06 PM

I've got a Sony that does this, but I think you have to record to Digital 8 first then transfer, maybe it has something to do with Macrovision or something?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2004, 09:38 PM

No, I found it. The TRV-420. It acts as an analog->Firewire converter. No Dazzle needed. My current camcorder has Firewire out but doesn't do the pass-through. This will allow me to upgrade my camcorder, save $$$ on a DV bridge, and I can sell my current camcorder since it's still in great shape.

Rezzi, you misunderstand - the Sony acts like the Dazzle. I don't need to dump camcorder tapes to Firewire since my current cam already does that. The newer Sony still converts camcorder tapes to Firewire, but also acts as a Dazzle, so I can use it to dump my VHS tapes to DVD.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 11:47 AM

A few of canon's ZR series do (zr 45, 50, 70, 80, etc.). And it's a nice mini dv cam, too.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 11:52 AM

Guess I could be more specific. S'posedly, the canon (mine's a ZR 50 MC) will convert analog to digital no prob. Hook vcr to camcorder, and record on the camcorder, or hook vcr to camcorder, hook camcorder to Mac w/ firewire, and capture straight to computer, converting analog to DV on the fly.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

hodaddy
Apr 11, 2004, 01:35 PM

my elura2 does it fine too--tho i may have done it the 'hard way'. the only time i ever did it i hooked VCR video and audio outs to the elura2, hit play on the VCR and record on the camera. then, i imported the DV tape i recorded in to imovie.

i suppose if i played with it some, i coulda got it to skip the record-to-dv-tape step. but, it worked fine.
if it aint' broke, break it.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2004, 09:53 AM

My sony DCR-PC9 has this feature, and I have used it before to use the analog out from a VCR to convert VCR tapes to a firewire digital feed- works great.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 10:36 AM

Do any ignore Macrovision? My Canon ZR10 doesn't record tapes with Macrovision enabled. It doesn't record on the fly either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules