Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD-R media

DVD-R media
hodaddy
Apr 28, 2004, 01:13 PM

as much as this doesnt sound like a hardware related question, i find that DVD-R media is very sensitive to hardware. if mods still feel compelled to move the post, feel free.

have a 12" pb with the UJ-815a (D101 flashed) superdrive.

the apple branded 1x and 2x discs work fine. but, i was wondering what else people are using. bought on a spindle of 50-100, discs can be found under $1 a piece now.

i've scoured the web and found very little in the way of recommendations for this particular drive.

i was wondering if anyone here has found any media that actually burn at 2x on this flashed drive (only verifiable with a stopwatch--toast often says 2x while a timer reveals only 1x)

because specific drives, and especially a flashed drives, are so sensitive to different media i would like to hear from someone who actaully has this particular flashed drive. thanks.
if it aint' broke, break it.

srviratamnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 03:05 PM

I am looking for the answer to a very similar question. I've had about a 30-50% success rate burning DVD-R's on my 12" PB 867. My UJ-815 isn't flashed but I bought a spindle of FujiFilm DVD-R discs and get "verification failed" messages. I am going to have to try a few other brands and report back.

hodaddy  (op)
Apr 28, 2004, 04:04 PM

for the unflashed drive, i've heard the beall 102-135 and the ritek G04 media are good for 1x (tho i never heard whether my 'source' used the shiny or matte G04 media) on the UJ-815.

i'm just having trouble finding a media that burns 2x on a flashed drive (like the apple 2x media does).

hodaddy  (op)
Apr 29, 2004, 11:39 AM

well, i just ordered some beall 102-135 from meritline.com '1X-4X DVD-R White Printable Blank Media 4.7GB General Purpose DVDR Disc' if youre looking for the exact description.

they guarantee burn speeds to match your burner's spec, and specifically mention apple superdrives. so, i guess we'll see if they really burn at 2x.

with the 15% disc. and 2nd day shipping disc, they came out to $1.30/ea shipped (i ordered 50).

i'll post back here with some numbers when i receive these things.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 12:16 PM

On my TiBook 800, I upgraded the combo drive to a UJ-815A SuperDrive. I can burn at 2x. I've had no problems with TDK 2x DVD-R media. I found the disks at Best Buy for $40 for a 25 pack, which comes to $1.60 a disk.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 01:07 PM

I ran across a link about how current 4-8x media is not backwards compatible with 2x drives, it only burns at 1x. And that there is no current supplier of 2x media. They suggested Apple could start selling it again.

I have the same drive as the initial poster in a revA PB17, and I've found Maxell, memorex, and Imation media to be fine. CompUSA DVD-Rs would work to burn data but could not be used to burn a DVD for use on a home DVD player.

In practice, I only burn a few disks a month, so the only time I notice the speed difference was when I was trying to make 8 DVDs from a home slide show for christmas...

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2004, 12:13 AM

This is exactly my problem.

The apple site actually says that 4x discs will only burn at 1x on the 2x drives, and you should continue using 2x media - but they dont sell it.

Where to get good 2x media.....

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2004, 04:50 PM

CompUSA, at least the one I work at got in 400 packs of CompUSA DVD-R 2x. They cost $39.99. thats less than a doller a disc, and for me its about 34c per disc

ibook_steve
May 24, 2004, 01:13 PM

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com

I've used stacks of Ritek and Princo (less than $1 a disk) with few, if no problems. The only time I've had a problem is when an image was hitting the edge of the disk (about greater than 4.4 GB). I'm sure with higher quality media, those images would work, but it's rare that I need to do that.

Steve

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
http://www.allmediaoutlet.com

I've used stacks of Ritek and Princo (less than $1 a disk) with few, if no problems. The only time I've had a problem is when an image was hitting the edge of the disk (about greater than 4.4 GB). I'm sure with higher quality media, those images would work, but it's rare that I need to do that.
Whoa, good prices. I just ordered a 25 pack of DVD-R media for $16 to be used with my 1.25 ghz 15" Powerbook. I'll try to report back with how well they work with my Powerbook. Thanks for the headsup on the prices...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 09:34 PM

mnemons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 11:50 AM

I just bought 5 Packs of IMATION DVD-R at BestBuy for $12.99, and it works like a charm on my UJ-825. (I used Toast to burn the data DVD-R)
Life is too important to be taken seriously -Oscar Wilde

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 09:26 PM

I bought a stack of these!! For $35. Not bad for 100. I haven't made a coaster yet out the 15 or so that I have burned and they work up to 4X!

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 12:57 PM

Under 2x, how long should it take to burn a full DVD? And is there any way to prevent the finder from a) caching the files beforehand (after I drag something to the Blank DVD, the finder copies it to a temp folder), and b) Prevent it from verifying the data after the burn, which takes just as long, or longer than the burn itself?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 03:38 PM

A full DVD at 1x takes 60 minutes to burn. 2x takes 30 min etc

Forum Links
Forum Rules