Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ideas For Creative Movie Props?

Ideas For Creative Movie Props? (Page 11)
reader50
Administrator
Dec 17, 2022, 06:18 PM

Were you planning a sequel, or just wanted to use the girls on another project? Either way, it's nice to know the movie studio is continuing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2022, 11:34 AM

Hurling ourselves into TikTok is the plan, so these won’t be sequels precisely, but they’ll be in the same universe.

Right now, we’re in the process of redesigning our entire workflow into something which gets from shoot to finished product within a week.

Apple is doing its part by providing a camera that’s at least an order of magnitude less hassle.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2022, 02:17 AM

So, my big contribution to the advancement of motion picture science is to take one of those molded plastic cases EMTs use to schlep morphine and repurpose it for makeup. Unlike every other purpose-built makeup case in the goddamn world, it isn’t black, so the amount of time it can sit in the sun without the shit inside melting is greatly extended.

The one we have has adjustable plastic trays, a portion of which are used for hair accessories like bobby pins and rubber bands. Those end up migrating underneath the divider and the whole thing becomes a mess. If you’ve ever tried to corral washers with adjustable dividers, you know exactly the problem I’m talking about.

Any ideas? I guess my ideal is something I can squeeze out a thin bead of like caulk which will stay stuck to the plastic.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 22, 2022, 12:46 PM

Plastic is hard to bond to permanently, unless you find the just-right chemical for that plastic.

You're on the right track with caulk - I'd use silicone caulk. Apply to the divider edge(s) before sliding it into the box. That's the only way you'll get a neat result.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2022, 01:03 PM

Yeah. I forgot to mention of course I have no idea what type of plastic it is.

I figured I needed to do it assembled or I won’t get the sealant in the right spot.

I know JB Weld plastic epoxy will stick, but very messy to apply.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2022, 10:06 PM

I agree with reader: cheap silicone caulk, and just a dab, will keep your dividers where you put them.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2022, 07:03 PM

I keep on forgetting I need to get to the Home Depot and check their options.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2022, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Apply to the divider edge(s) before sliding it into the box. That's the only way you'll get a neat result.
Oh… I think I get what you’re saying now!

The problem here is they’re cross dividers, so getting those in without smearing everything on the already in-place dividers seems impractical.

I was imagining putting all the dividers in place and then caulking them all on both sides where they meet the base, if that makes sense. Another way to put it is not get the caulk under the dividers, but make a caulk wall on both sides of the space under the dividers

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2022, 08:51 PM

It doesn’t take a lot. Not much at all. Don’t think you can apply it with just the tip that comes with the tube! It takes a lot more finesse. But that also means a LOT less mess than you’re picturing.

I’d suggest squeezing a small blob on a piece of wax paper, then using a flat toothpick to apply a tiny amount (like “I can see that there’s something there” tiny), primarily at the bottom of the edges that go into the slots. Then slide the dividers in smoothly and leave each one alone for several hours.

You may need to use several small blobs, as the stuff tends to cure pretty quickly, but this should get the job done.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2022, 12:33 AM

E6000.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2022, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It doesn’t take a lot. Not much at all. Don’t think you can apply it with just the tip that comes with the tube! It takes a lot more finesse. But that also means a LOT less mess than you’re picturing.

I’d suggest squeezing a small blob on a piece of wax paper, then using a flat toothpick to apply a tiny amount (like “I can see that there’s something there” tiny), primarily at the bottom of the edges that go into the slots. Then slide the dividers in smoothly and leave each one alone for several hours.

You may need to use several small blobs, as the stuff tends to cure pretty quickly, but this should get the job done.
I’m worried I’m not explaining this properly (though I may just be misunderstanding). The issue isn’t the dividers staying in place. They do that fine. Here…

The problem is the gap between the divider walls and the tray floor. Bobby pins slip under that.

What I was imaging was a full caulk seal along the bottom of each divided section.

andi*pandi
Dec 31, 2022, 10:32 AM

if you don't want it permanent (for future rearranging) clear packing tape will do it for a section or two.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2022, 11:24 AM

Frigging brilliant!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2023, 10:01 PM

Your picture is quite enlightening. Yeah, I had the wrong idea. Andi's right. Good old transparent tape will do the trick easy, cheap, and only semi-permanently so you can change as needed in the future.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2023, 09:18 PM

On the subject of makeup for video/photography, did your production go for any “professional” stuff, or did you just use consumer makeup?

I’m looking into doing some portrait photography, and while I can find plenty of guidance for how, where, how much, etc., most web sites either ignore or omit brand names, or gush fangirlishly about specific products.

The latter ALWAYS comes off as a combination of chakra-enhancement, skin detoxification, granola and “save the planet” dreck.

So did any specific make up turn out to be great, horrible, OK but pricey, etc.?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2023, 09:09 PM

I unfortunately have almost zero experience with “naturalistic” looking makeup. What we do is deep into mime territory.

We mostly use Mehron and Ben Nye. They’re both “good enough” and haven’t given one of the actors a rash yet.

Mehron gets the edge from me for utilitarian reasons, like I can get it reliably on Amazon. Ben Nye has a retail only policy.

Unscented baby wipes are decent makeup removers. Pouring a bit of Skin So Soft on them ups the ease of removal. If you want the makeup not to come off, use acrylic paint instead of makeup and mix it with Krazy Glue.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 5, 2023, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If you want the makeup not to come off, use acrylic paint instead of makeup and mix it with Krazy Glue.
Do I detect an on-set prank that happened in the recent past?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2023, 12:57 PM

Luckily, not working with anyone that diabolical.

I’ve never tried, but am told this is more or less how the pros do it when they need “action grade” makeup that won’t rub or sweat off. It needs to be powdered when done or you’ll glue yourself to things. For example, if it’s applied to your eyelids and you open your eyes before it’s powdered, it will glue them open.

Alcohol acts as a remover.

Edit: I should add the official recipe calls for prosthetic adhesive, which isn’t exactly Krazy Glue, but close. Altogether it’s known as “PAX paint”, for “prosthetic adhesive X (times) paint”.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 6, 2023 at 02:21 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2023, 08:32 PM

Since I haven’t seen all of your episodes, I hadn’t picked up on the “everyone’s makeup is done mime style.”

PAX seems to be quite the thing, but mostly in the effects end of makeup.

The last time I was into effects makeup, it was damnably hard to get anything to stick to mortician’s wax. We wound up using liquid latex as a base layer (still a challenge), then put makeup on that. Try applying liquid latex around a fishing line that’s stuck through a clump of wax that “hides” a non-pyro bullet hit. Then try putting makeup over that to blend it. Good luck! Also good luck with keeping the clump of wax ON the performer when you yank on the fishing line. Pre-scoring the wax does not always work for this sort of thing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2023, 11:09 PM

This was my one foray into effects makeup. Only ended up getting used once.

Was the non-pyro bullet perchance inspired by this?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2023, 03:18 PM

I like the “Steam-Borg” appliance. Nice.

The non-pyro effect was not directly influenced by how they did those effects in The Godfather. But it may as well have been.

Working on a student film can get you some interesting experiences, and it often means channeling that old ‘30s trope “We can build a stage in the barn, Jane can make the costumes, and my mom knows music!” In our case, we were about two contacts away from talking to anyone with a pyro license, but time was running out for the project, so we had to get creative.

We hit the library and did tons of “physical book” research. The “button pulled through makeup” trick was in some fairly new (then) book, and we latched onto it.

Someday I’ll regale everyone about how I got shot on set. Lots of lessons learned, not much blood lost, and most importantly, we got the shot!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2023, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I like the “Steam-Borg” appliance. Nice.
Thank you!

I’d definitely like to hear the getting shot story.

The biggest student film folly I can recall is our teacher told us lots of depth of field was important, so we shot everything at f/8.

On 200 speed film.

Indoors, to get a proper exposure, the lights needed to be so close to the actors’ faces by the end of the project they had gotten what amounted to a sunburn.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 8, 2023, 06:59 PM

SAFETY FIRST!!!!! Whenever using a REAL FIREARM in a theatrical production, do EXTENSIVE tests of all parts of the effect. ALL PARTS. And rehearse, rehearse, rehearse! Rehearsal could have shown us the flaw in our plans, and we could have corrected things.

We were working on this in the early 1980s, and the film is about a “post apocalypse/nightmare” scenario. We were shooting out in the sticks on property we had permission to use. Our heroine totes a LARGE revolver - in this case a 6” barreled S&W in .45 Auto. Yes, .45 Auto, using moon clips and everything, because the guy who let us use it also had a 1911, and he liked “common ammo.” The big honking revolver in the hands of the petite heroine was actually a story point.

Commercial blanks for .45 Auto were nonexistent then and there, so we made our own. AND TESTED THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. At 2 feet from the muzzle, the blanks did not damage a thin plastic bag, and at 3 feet it did not even damage the cheap-@$$ TP the University provided. The blanks “fluttered” the TP pretty vigorously, but nothing solid came out of the barrel to damage the TP. They made enough of a “bang” to use in post for where to add the sound effect, which is all we needed.

The shot has yours truly as a bad guy who tackles the heroine. She shakes off the tackle, spins around and shoots said bad guy with above mentioned revolver. Here’s the problem: the “tackle” was on a large pile of pea gravel for some reason. But nobody thought about what would happen when the heroine rolled on top of the revolver in that pea gravel.

What happened was that at least one piece of pea gravel wound up either in the loaded chamber or the barrel or both.

“Action!” I tackle, I’m shaken off, and we both stand, heroine aims and fires, and I react and fall on my back “dead.” When the director cut the scene, I spoke up: “Did we get the shot?” Yes we did. “Good, because I’ve been shot.” EVERYBODY was mortified - the actress with the gun, the director, everybody.

The pea gravel took a small bite out of the upper surface of my left shoulder, which bled a bit, and stung quite a lot. I still have the scar, but it sure doesn’t look at all like a gunshot wound.

No, I wasn’t the “armorer” on this project. That was the director, who took full responsibility for my owie. He (and several others with first aid experience) immediately took care of my tiny wound, and he also treated me to dinner and some really good beer.

We learned a LOT from that, fortunately almost benign, incident. A revolver WILL scoop up anything it can when rolled around in pea gravel/styrofoam/legos/etc., so the smart thing to do is to block the muzzle and all the cylinders with transparent tape. EVEN IF THE GUN IS, AND WILL REMAIN EMPTY.

It was also suddenly clear that the shot could have been set up differently, maybe broken into several shots - allowing an opportunity to do everything except the actual “bang” part with an unloaded weapon. And the “bang” part could have been staged to allow the heroine to not actually point the gun at yours truly.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2023, 03:58 PM

Excellent story and cautionary tale in one!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2023, 03:21 PM

Set decoration from eBay arrived broken. Sorry for the grody table.

There’s barely an 1/8” of the stick left on the log stand.

Any ideas? I don’t see glue working unless it was pinned, and drilling a hole inside the stick sounds like a recipe for failure. The only other option I can think of is drilling out the stick entirely and replacing it.
( Last edited by subego; May 19, 2023 at 03:57 PM. )

Thorzdad
May 19, 2023, 04:11 PM

Glue it back on, then build-up modeling clay/plasticine around the join, working out to blend with the bark? Paint the clay to match.

Will it be subject to a lot of manipulation?

andi*pandi
May 19, 2023, 05:43 PM

a new stick seems easier than hiding the break. You could even use metal if you don't want to worry about matching stain color etc.

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2023, 06:05 PM

Stick appears to be a dowel rod. You can buy those in 3ft (1m) lengths, with most any desired thickness. Cut as needed.

I'd drill it out and replace. Then try to match the stain color. Next time, order the version that's assembly-required.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2023, 11:54 PM

Thanks all for the replies! I think I’ll drill it out.

We also may simply get another bird.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 22, 2023, 04:26 PM

Does it have to be exactly that tall? Drill out what's left inside the base and shove the bird down in there. Now it's 1/2" shorter but still works?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2023, 07:09 PM

Excellent idea!

For the moment, we’ve settled on acquiring another bird. I’ll only go into the repair if the new bird doesn’t suffice, or we decide we want two.

andi*pandi
May 22, 2023, 09:30 PM

Two birds is better than one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2023, 10:49 PM

This is true, and I discovered I don’t have to drill out the bird. That’s a friction join.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2023, 10:01 PM

Managed to resurrect an early ‘80s Honey Maid box from a scan on the Internet. Giant box of Cheerios for scale.

andi*pandi
Jun 10, 2023, 06:38 PM

That looks legit. Then they haven't rebranded too much, have they?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2023, 09:30 PM

Thank you!

It’s had a makeover…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2023, 11:20 PM

Another lifted off the Internet. Way cleaner than the posters of this from 40-some years ago, which looked like photocopies. I added the red.

Why I added the red. The distortion in the face is because this print is resting on a curved surface.

This turned out so well we could sell it.

Thorzdad
Jun 11, 2023, 07:07 AM

I love it! Adding the red was exactly what it need d.

andi*pandi
Jun 11, 2023, 03:56 PM

I know a facebook group where that would go over well. We have a member we call Red Scare Carl because anyone he doesn't like he calls a communist.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2023, 05:49 PM

Thank you both!

Ironically, all the people I knew who had them in the ‘80s were total pinkos.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 11, 2023, 08:03 PM

I don't remember the Bolsheviks poster. Though I wasn't buying Scottowels.

On the Honey Maids, the art isn't the only thing that changed. Note the amazing weight decrease.

Thorzdad
Jun 11, 2023, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Managed to resurrect an early ‘80s Honey Maid box from a scan on the Internet. Giant box of Cheerios for scale.

Can you even get sugar Honey Maid graham crackers anymore? I only ever see plain, non-sugared grahams these days. When I was a kid, sugared grahams were the norm.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2023, 11:46 AM

I’m not sure if I even remember sugar fortified grahams, not counting Golden Grahams cereal.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2023, 01:00 PM

Another resurrection. Local, but mildly interesting.

A revival house responsible for me having a halfway decent film education as a kid. Pretty amazing to imagine a place screening a different double feature every night. This particular one is from ‘82 I think.

Closed in the early ‘90s. It’s a Lens Crafters now. One of my unfulfilled dreams was to be wildly successful to the extent I could reopen it and eat the colossal losses that would be involved.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2023, 02:52 PM

Slightly more readable, however the (apparently only existing) source image is pretty low res. The above photo has some camera shake fuzzing it up, but as can be seen below, the print itself comes out fuzzy no matter what.

We’re assuming the camera won’t notice.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 13, 2023, 09:08 PM

Slightly off track, but I got my movie fixes as a kid at this little gem.

Tiny, but (though I didn't have a clue abut the word) intimate. Walking distance from home, too.

Here's another site about the theater, with better photos.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2023, 06:02 AM

Not off-track at all! I was hoping for stories of other revival houses!

Awesome gold leaf glitch I don’t know if I can replicate. I’m making labels for label-less apothecary jars.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2023, 05:27 PM

Got better adhesion this time.

I’ve been using corrugated cardboard to protect my kitchen counter when I iron the leaf on. Unsurprisingly, the cardboard warps between the corrugations. So, next step is getting something actually flat as an ironing surface. As luck would have it, I procured some chipboard for the Honey Maid box, which I never ended up using.

Oh… I’ve either got to rotate the swooshes or make the angle of the text steeper. There’s definitely something “off”.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 14, 2023, 05:59 PM

Perhaps try an actual ironing board? If it's a problem with glue leaking onto the surface, try a junk wooden table top. Something you can sand periodically to remove spillage. Even a wood plank (say, a 1x10 or 1x12) could do. Sitting on saw horses.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2023, 06:20 PM

Two issues with using an actual ironing board.

1) They still have a little flex to them. I think the ideal backing will be something rigid.

2) I don’t have one.

I only bought the iron a few days ago.

No glue issues per se. The gold leaf sticks to toner when it gets heated. It’s purely a question of protecting the surface from heat damage.

My third attempt with the chipboard backing actually turned out worse than the first one, but I think I was too impatient. About to do number 4.

I think part of the problem is I’m doing it like I’m ironing a shirt, when I have to think more like a laminator.

Forum Links
Forum Rules