Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Troubleshooting Help with New 'Book?

Troubleshooting Help with New 'Book?
immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2003, 11:45 PM

Hi,

I got my iBook--my first Apple--and so far it's been great.

A couple of issues have come up, though, and I thought I might ask you guys before I call Apple for help:

-My CD burner's slow, I think. Is the best way to test just to burn a disc in iTunes and divide the times? I don't have Toast....

-When I let the iBook go to sleep for a while, it will either not wake up, or it will wake-up with the multi-lingual "Must restart" alert. When I log in with a "clean" account, however, I don't have the problem. How can I fix my normal account so my computer can sleep in peace?

Thanks for the help, as always!

--Jacob Patton

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by immsav:
Hi,

I got my iBook--my first Apple--and so far it's been great.

A couple of issues have come up, though, and I thought I might ask you guys before I call Apple for help:

-My CD burner's slow, I think. Is the best way to test just to burn a disc in iTunes and divide the times? I don't have Toast....

-When I let the iBook go to sleep for a while, it will either not wake up, or it will wake-up with the multi-lingual "Must restart" alert. When I log in with a "clean" account, however, I don't have the problem. How can I fix my normal account so my computer can sleep in peace?

Thanks for the help, as always!

--Jacob Patton
With regards to your burner being slow if you mean 4X slow or it takes 15-20mins to burn a full cd than it's probably that bug thats people are talking about the iBook is susposed to burn at 16x depending on what model you have. If you do a search on the forums you will find a thread about your problem. If you go into the iTunes preferences "Apple+Y" and click the burn options you can adjust the burner speed.

The error you are seeing is a kernel panic. That�s pretty bad, it can be caused by hardware or software, I had that problem in earlier versions of OS X. It�s not something you can diagnose over the forum.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by immsav:
Hmm... are you sure it doesn't happen with a clean account? If it really doesn't, then try going into ~/Library/Preferences and deleting stuff you don't need. I'd hit the "com.apple.*" stuff first.

("~" means your home directory; "*" means basically "anything"; UNIX: learn it, live it, love it)

Forum Links
Forum Rules