Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4 won't burn purchased music

iTunes 4 won't burn purchased music
Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 10:38 PM

iMac Rev B (233) with 384 mb RAM and MCE internal ATAPI CDRW (TEAC CD-W216E). OS X 10.2.5 and current in all other ways in Software Update. iTunes 4 and Quicktime 6.2

System Profiler says drive is fully supported. Drive works fine when burning within Toast Lite 5.2, burns fine in Finder. Burns fine when burning music CD made up of mp3's I have ripped myself. But when I try to burn a disc with songs I have purchased from the Apple Music Store, I get the following message from iTunes:

Disc burning failed because of a disc error.

Strange thing is, it does nothing to the disc. If I use the same disc to burn something in iTunes but without the purchased music, the disk burns fine, even though iTunes rejected the very same disc just seconds earlier.

iTunes and Music Store work like a charm in all other ways.

Have repaired privileges and restarted machine. Still no joy. Anyone else?

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 01:27 AM

Try this (I'm doing this from memory since I'm stuck on a PC right now):

Open iTunes
Go to the iTunes Menu
Select Preferences
Click on the Import Tab
Make sure to select Audio CD instead of MP3 as your cd burning choice.

If you've done all of that, make sure to put the songs into their own playlist--don't try to burn them from the main library.

Hopefully those suggestions will help.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

losgatos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2003, 06:32 PM

I get the same error with every disc I put in iTunes 4. Not even trying to burn purchased music!
::: losgatos :::
12" PB 1.33GHz

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 08:02 PM

Yeah, this is a major problem. I go to burn a CD-RW disc which is from a smart playlist, which includes songs that i have purchased for the iTunes music store, and it burns and plays fine. The problem is that when it's burning it shades out and deslects all the tracks that i bought from apple, and when you play it back you find out they didn't burn at all. I bought this music because i could put them on my playlists. WTF apple?! W...T...F?
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

cpac
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 09:37 PM

one thought:

are you trying to burn a mixture of mp3s and AACs onto a single disk?

Apple *should* make that sort of thing work, but it's a potential reason that it's not working...
cpac

Don Foy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 09:44 PM

I actually got it to work once by putting a non-purchased song in front of all the purchased songs. But then I made a blank file to put in front of them and it wouldn't work. Oh well, we'll try some more.

Don

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 09:44 PM

Yeah, but what are you trying to tell me? That i either have to burn just a cd of apple purchased AAC files, or that i have to change ALL my MP3's to AAC? Not good. Not good at all. There has to be some other way. There's no way i'm converting my 4700+ MP3's to AAC. Not to mention that my cd player in my car plays MP3's. That means that i'm screwed?! COME ON.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

kman42
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 10:42 PM

Burning a mixed CD with MP3s and purchased AAC files worked fine for me. All the songs play after burning. G4/867

kman

Truepop
Mac Elite
May 4, 2003, 09:50 AM

Works for me too when I burn Coverted AAC and Imported AAC and MP3 and Bought AAC.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2003, 01:29 PM

Listen people... are you people trying to burn MP3 cds or are you trying to burn regular audio CDs?

Regular audio CDs should have absolutely no issue... MP3 cds will NOT work for the simple reason that those AAC files (protected or not) simply ARE NOT MP3s... even if you could burn them to an mp3 cd, they would not play in your car audio player or your portable mp3 cd player because those devices cannot decode aac.

So don't bother trying if you're making mp3 cds for your car or something... you can make good audio cds though...

If you're having issues with that, then complain, otherwise follow the advice given on this forum and switch to Audio CD.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2003, 01:39 PM

Alright, so the lesson is iTunes 4 is a great product, and the iTunes music store has been one of the greatest announcements that Apple has ever made (in my long time with Apple). But this really does suck, and i hope they start making car decks that can play AAC in the future.

macrophyllum
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2003, 04:15 PM

Can't one convert AAC to MP3?

milhouse
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 01:45 AM

Apple has noted that AAC's converted to MP3 will product TERRIBLE quality files. This was done to dissuade piracy.

However we should be able to use a "play through capture" app like Audio Hijack to capture and create a recording of an AAC in real time. You could save it as an MP3, AIFF WAV etc. (IOW, play the AAC file you want in MP3 format and record it with AudioHijack et al. Save it in the desired format and add it back to iTunes in another playlist for burning.)

I haven't tried this but I don't see a reason it should not work. It's time consuming but it's a (temporary) solution for the present.

YMMV
"-Dodge This"

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 03:00 AM

i had the same problem when i tried to burn a audio-cd from mp3-files. try to burn at lower speed...! that worked for me...

Don Foy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 11:24 PM

It appears that the problem may lie with third-party burners. It appears the some Yamaha burners are coming up with the same problems. Macintouch iTunes Special report says Apple is working on a fix. Hope that applies to TEAC mechs as well.

OnDaBeach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2003, 12:41 PM

I just tried burning an audio CD from itunes 4 with 2 songs purchased through itunes, and the rest of the songs were mp3 files. The results when played back: The 2 songs I purchased played fine, but the remaining songs all had a high pitched loud screeching noise. I then tried burning another audio CD, this time with only mp3 files that I had, and all of the songs had the same high pitch noise, making the CD unusable. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a powerbook G4 400 w/external CD burner and never had this happen before. If Itunes only lets me burn purchased music from Apple, I wont buy any more songs, and will go back to Itunes 3!!!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
Listen people... are you people trying to burn MP3 cds or are you trying to burn regular audio CDs?

Regular audio CDs should have absolutely no issue... MP3 cds will NOT work for the simple reason that those AAC files (protected or not) simply ARE NOT MP3s... even if you could burn them to an mp3 cd, they would not play in your car audio player or your portable mp3 cd player because those devices cannot decode aac.

So don't bother trying if you're making mp3 cds for your car or something... you can make good audio cds though...

If you're having issues with that, then complain, otherwise follow the advice given on this forum and switch to Audio CD.
Well... mp3s aren't redbook audio either and they must be converted prior to burning to an audio CD. Just as audio CDs can be made from mp3 files, mp3 CDs can be made from AAC files. It is apparent that this functionality of iTunes is buggy. However, there isn't anything fundamentally different about the process of burning audio to an mp3 CD. Why such hostility toward users asking about how to work around a bug?

Another user report:
I've experienced no problems in buring aac and encrypted-aac to CD. I'll try burning them to an mp3 CD after work today...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 9, 2003, 01:39 PM

My old CD burner was SCSI, and iTunes wouldn't use it. I would drag the AAC files out of iTunes and into Toast, and it would burn them just fine.

My new burner cost me $52 with shipping. It's a 52x burner and burns a CD full of AAC and mp3 files within iTunes with no problems in about 1m30s.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules