Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quicktime: I need to know how to revert back to 6.0.

Quicktime: I need to know how to revert back to 6.0.
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2003, 08:38 AM

Hey guys,

It seems Quicktime 6.1 broke my SOF 2 game. Everythings blue, so im wondering if theres any way to revert back to 6.0 where it worked.

Any help is appreciated.

Oliver

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 16, 2003, 12:31 PM

(Information in original post was incorrect, sorry!)
( Last edited by engaged; Feb 16, 2003 at 12:56 PM. )

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2003, 07:47 PM

Did a search and found this thread. I'm currently trying to find out how to downgrade from QuickTime 6.2 back to QuickTime 6.1 and it's far more difficult than it should be.

Why I want to downgrade:
I'm pretty sure QuickTime 6.2 is the reason Media 100 won't import any QuickTime files we've created in the past week.

What I've Tried:
1. I called Apple and they suggested doing an Archive install of OS X from the Restore Disk. This sounds absurd, and I find it hard to believe there isn't a way of just downgraded QuickTime instead of the whole freakin' operating system.

2. Apple also told me that the QuickTime 6.1 installer is no longer available online as of the release of QuickTime 6.2 last Monday. That's perfect, considering Media 100 gave it's users the Ok to go ahead and download QuickTime 6.1.1. just today.

3. I ended up finding a QuickTime 6.1 installer on my home computer, but upon trying to run the installer I'm informed that it can't run because a newer version of QuickTime 6 is already installed on this computer.

4. I downloaded the "revert to QuickTime 5 from 6" installer online, thinking that I could run this and then run the QuickTime 6.1 installer on top of it. However, the Revert to QuickTime 5 installer tells me I can't revert because I've got OS X 10.2 installed.

5. I downloaded Pacifist to try running a standalone QuickTime installer off the OS X restore disk, but I can't find one on the restore disk.

So yeah, unless someone has another idea, or an idea of how to manually pull out and replace the QuickTime files on one's system, it must be damn near impossible to downgrade or uninstall QuickTime on Mac OS X Jaguar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 05:14 AM

isn't an update available for sof2 and media100? contact this companys; they are responsible for the compatibility of their own products on osx...!

greets

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by e-cyras:
isn't an update available for sof2 and media100? contact this companys; they are responsible for the compatibility of their own products on osx...!

greets
Thanks for your reply, but that doesn't really help me out. What I'm looking for right now is a means to purge QuickTime 6.2 of my system. I've found myself a previous QuickTime 6.1.1 installer, I just can't use it until 6.2 is removed.

Yes, I was the damn fool that installed it before Media 100 gave it the ok, but considering they just approved the use of QuickTime 6.1.1 yesterday, and that Apple's description of QuickTime 6.2 made it sound like it basically just added AAC support, I didn't think it'd be such a drastic change. Who woulda thought that it'd make QuickTime files created after version 6,2 unreadable by media 100
( Last edited by Cory Bauer; May 6, 2003 at 10:16 AM. )
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Cory Bauer:
5. I downloaded Pacifist to try running a standalone QuickTime installer off the OS X restore disk, but I can't find one on the restore disk.
You need to open the packages on the OS X install disk, not the restore disk, with Pacifist. The packages are located in this location on the CD:

System/Installation/Packages/

I believe the package you want for QuickTime is Essentials.pkg.

On some of the newer install DVD's, Apple has annoyingly decided to hide the System directory. If you've got one of these, simply double-click the DVD's desktop icon, then type Command-Shift-G, type "System" without the quotes, and navigate to Installation/Packages (Yes, I realize this is not intuitive. For this reason, the next version of Pacifist, which should hopefully be available soon, will address this issue).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 04:27 PM

Although I often understand Apple's choice not to let people downgrade their software, since downgrading is usually a kludgy, risky way of solving a problem, I also am upset that the "Revert to 5.0" installer doesn't work under Jaguar, because this forces users to buy a new Pro key.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 05:03 PM

Can you delete your QT player, and the QT receipts in /Library/Receipts and try to install the 6.1.1?

See if deleting those will let you install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules