Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Windows NT 4 PowerPC Edition

Windows NT 4 PowerPC Edition
nickday
May 18, 2003, 09:06 AM

Hi,

Hope this forum is OK, couldn't decide where to post this.

I have a copy of Windows NT 4 Workstation, which I was just about to install on Virtual PC. When inserting the CD, I noticed it said the following on the label:

"Disc contains code to run on Windows NT-compatible 486, Pentium, MIPS R4x00, Alpha, PowerPC and Pentium PRO systems."

So, it is possible to install this version alongside Mac OS X, as it should run much faster than in VPC.

Cheers,
Nick

Coxy
Forum Regular
May 18, 2003, 09:25 AM

No.
And even if it was, you still wouldn't be able to run Windows x86 binaries.
Commander ~Coxy of the 68kMLA

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2003, 09:34 AM

Windows NT PowerPC edition ran on IBM PowerPCs, not Macs. Some IBM RS/6000s could run it but not much else. Here is a page about the PowerPCs supported:
http://home1.gte.net/res008nh/nt/ppc/default.htm
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 12:05 AM

For example, the RS/6000 43P I have lying around could run it, but since no PowerMac has ever been a CHRP (Common Hardware Reference Platform) or PReP (PowerPC Reference Platform) box (though some came damn close), you won't be able to boot the CD. Plus there's no support for the chipsets of a Mac in NT4.

Support:
IBM CHRP/PReP
Firepower PRep
Motorola PRep

Dan

jasong
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 07:50 AM

What would be even cooler is if someone found the version of System 7 that ran on PReP (not made by Apple).

I don't know why that would be cooler though . . .

-- Jason

OpenStep
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 10:37 AM

How about using Mac on Linux to create a virtual PowerPC machine? Probably not possible but I wonder if it could be something done in the future.

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by jasong:
What would be even cooler is if someone found the version of System 7 that ran on PReP (not made by Apple).

I don't know why that would be cooler though . . .

-- Jason
There was a Macworld article a while ago about the company that did that port, a Swiss company called Quix Computerware, AG. They had the thing working on Firepower boxes, minus Sound Manager and some timing issues. That _would_ be cool to dig up

http://penguinppc.org/~hollis/linux/PReP.html

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Dan

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by OpenStep:
How about using Mac on Linux to create a virtual PowerPC machine? Probably not possible but I wonder if it could be something done in the future.
Check out this article at Macslash.org:

http://www.macslash.org/article.pl?s...d&threshold=-1

This new powerpc machine can run linux that hosts a mac-on-linux without needing mac firmware...

Stratus Fear
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
Check out this article at Macslash.org:

http://www.macslash.org/article.pl?s...d&threshold=-1

This new powerpc machine can run linux that hosts a mac-on-linux without needing mac firmware...
Yes, MOL is a very cool program. I use it on my iBook running MDK. It's handy to be able to quick load up X to do/download/test something on there that I can't do on Linux, and then pop back to my Linux desktop just as easily as I loaded OS X over it.

I think it would be pretty interesting to tinker with if MOL could run NT4PPC...

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Stratus Fear:
Yes, MOL is a very cool program. I use it on my iBook running MDK. It's handy to be able to quick load up X to do/download/test something on there that I can't do on Linux, and then pop back to my Linux desktop just as easily as I loaded OS X over it.

I think it would be pretty interesting to tinker with if MOL could run NT4PPC...
Man.. That would be cool! It probably would not be too hard to do either...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 10:22 AM

I'd rather have MOL on Mac OS X. Why? You can run OS 9 in a nice window, ala virtual pc.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Sarah31
Forum Regular
May 21, 2003, 07:52 PM

i don't know why anyone would want linux or Windows on a mac that has OS X capabilities.

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Sarah31:
i don't know why anyone would want linux or Windows on a mac that has OS X capabilities.
Novelty.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Stratus Fear
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Metzen:
Novelty.
Not necessarily. I've personally found that Linux is a lot more flexible than OS X in the standard Unix style apps (console and X-windows). This is one of the reasons I use it. Even though Fink exists, it still doesn't compare to an actual Linux install.

As far as running NT4 on a Mac, now that WOULD be novelty. I'll run an actual x86 version of Windows in VPC over running NT4 PPC though, that way I can actually use programs that you can't get on PPC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules