Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > eBay Fraud on PowerBooks

eBay Fraud on PowerBooks
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 02:42 AM

Just for shiites & giggles, I typed "PowerBook G4" into the eBay search field, just to see what was out there. The first 11 items (all the Featured Items) were frauds. All had insane prices, like a brand-new 17" for $1,600. Upon click, all had the eBay message:

Invalid Item
The item you requested ( 2735402520 ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.

I know this is "Duh!?" material to many of you, but just thought I'd share.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 02:53 AM

This is really beginning to harm ebay and they have finally started to come down harder on these scam artists.

If people stop believing that the articles sold is genuine then ebay will lose business, and fast. Add to this the negative reactions about the recent price hike and you can see why they are getting jittery.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 07:14 AM

I won an auction for a 667MHz PowerBook for $1400 in December. The seller had 20+ feedback, all 100%. It turned out to be a fraud. I got my money back from my credit card company, and the FBI is currently investigating (took them about 5 months to start looking into it).

I'm not buying another PowerBook on eBay. Not going to do it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2003, 07:26 AM

In most cases the frauds are pretty easy to spot -- they use stock photos from Apple's website and have ridiculously low prices, etc. It's amazing that so many fall for hem. As a general rule, I wouldn't consider buy a new computer on eBay, especially a Powerbook.

As a market for used computers ebay can be good (of course you still need to be careful).

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 08:26 AM

I was stressing this week after pulling the trigger on a Pismo. I paid via PayPal on Sunday night. The guy e-mailed back the next morning, saying he'd send it UPS the next day.

Then I didn't hear from him for 48 hours.

Finally, I got e-mail from him Wednesday. He said he'd been busy, but it's now on the way to me. I even have a tracking number. This guy had plenty of good feedback, too, but I was worried after seeing so much about fraud here.

For the record, if you're jipped on eBay and used PayPal, do you have any recourse?

(Yes, I know this info is on PayPal's website. Just thought someone might know offhand).
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 08:40 AM

One thing I've noticed about the eBay fraud Powerbook sales is that they

a) Use a stock Apple HTML ad (lifted from Apple)
b) Use an auction template (usually the green one with the "motherboard background" look)
c) Keep bidder's identities "(private)"
d) Have the auction set up so that you have to be "pre-approved" to bid -- it will tell you to "email the seller first"
e) After the auction listing down below it will say, "To BUY NOW contact me at [email protected]" AND if you look at the supposed ISP it's some weird name -- always go to WHOIS at Register.com and check out the ISP and you'll see that it's in Romania or Indonesia.

It's fairly easy to spot a fraud if you do your homework. One thing to do is to bid and request the seller's contact information and CALL them. If you can reach them and they're forthcoming about private information then they're not committing fraud.

The thing to remember to avoid being taken is to request a copy of the serial number of the unit you're paying for (which you can call and verify with Apple if you'd like), pay with a U.S.P.S. money order (and write the serial number on the money order along with the auction number), and when it arrives open it in front of a witness (should be the delivery person, actually) to make sure that it's in there and the condition.

If you do all of those things you'll be okay.

I think eBay is okay if it's done the right way. I buy rare books on eBay and I can't imagine not having that venue to use for book buying. It's great.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:

a) Use a stock Apple HTML ad (lifted from Apple)
b) Use an auction template (usually the green one with the "motherboard background" look)
c) Keep bidder's identities "(private)"
d) Have the auction set up so that you have to be "pre-approved" to bid -- it will tell you to "email the seller first"
e) After the auction listing down below it will say, "To BUY NOW contact me at [email protected]" AND if you look at the supposed ISP it's some weird name -- always go to WHOIS at Register.com and check out the ISP and you'll see that it's in Romania or Indonesia.
The auction I bid on met none of those requirements, and was still a fraud.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 09:28 AM

I'm gambling on a new 15" soon and selling my Powerbook 12" (see the marketplace!)...

I was going to put it on ebay as I would have done in the past, but I really think no-one will bid because of all the fraud!

Glad something is being done about it...

Peace,

Marcc

dagonjames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2003, 09:54 AM

In response to your Paypal question I have this to offer. I sold an item through ebay for $800 few months ago and was paid via paypal. After I shipped it to the guy and he said he got it and everything was fine. Suddenly out of the blue paypal takes all the money back for no reason. It turns out the guy decided to lie to his credit card company so that he could keep my item AND his money. guess what paypal did about it, NOTHING! Guess what ebay did about it, NOTHING! Both companies siad that I should call the police in his state 3000 miles away because they aren't equipped to investigate and deal with fraud like this. Be warned.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 09:55 AM

The auction I bid on met none of those requirements, and was still a fraud.
O.K.

Guess I should have said "usually I've noticed."

I guess it's "let's not be concrete" morning.

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2003, 10:02 AM

I haven't yet tried it, but PayPal has a new option when you pay where you can pay a percentage of the auction price and supposedly you are totally covered against getting ripped off. I bought a Radeon 9700 pro card for $230 and it was an extra $11 so I got it, but I want to know if anyone has had to use it?

acadian
Senior User
Jun 12, 2003, 10:24 AM

It's bad for legit seller like myself. I've sold my last thre PB's on eBay and have noticed each time the deals becoming progressively more and more touchy. The last one I sold was shipped to the buyer (in vancouver) the day his payment arrived and he was sent the tracking # as soon as it was off. For the next three days I had endure countless emails and even phone calls (yes..I provide my home #) practically threatening me with legal action if the powerbook did not arrive "this minute". When it did arrive (again, after three days) I recieved a short "thank you" email....jeeez.....

mosch
Jun 12, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
In most cases the frauds are pretty easy to spot -- they use stock photos from Apple's website and have ridiculously low prices, etc. It's amazing that so many fall for hem. As a general rule, I wouldn't consider buy a new computer on eBay, especially a Powerbook.

As a market for used computers ebay can be good (of course you still need to be careful).
I don't know that the stock photos mean much. I've used stock photos when selling some very expensive equipment simply because the equipment was in close to new condition anyway. It's not like the photos prove anything anyway, seeing as it's pretty easy to get photos of a powerbook.

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 10:45 AM

All this not to mention the fact that if you don't have like 100+ seller feedback you aren't likely to get a fair price for your laptop on ebay. I sold an ibook about 2 years ago and was shocked how low it sold for (I had all seller feedback of about 18 at the time). I even sold it to a local bidder in my town, and took it to him (college kid).

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 11:35 AM

my account was hijacked last month; a seller offering an 17" imac...not me!

had to re-do my account, set things right with ebay.

i only found out because i recieved an email from someone asking for some info on the imac.

and last year, my roommate got ripped off for a sony vaio she purchased.

scary!
find i now only use ebay for small purchases...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 12:43 PM

These types going on ebay and posting fake Powerbooks have totally wrecked the auction market for people trying to sell Apple Computers. It especially seems to be hurting Powerbooks.

When I was thinking/trying of selling my 17 incher (I ended up keeping after trying to be scammed in to selling it), people were emailing and saying things like:

"I will give you $2650 to end the auction now."

or

"I will give you $2300 + shipping. Sorry, $2800 or less seems to be the going rate on eBay." (I was asking $3200 "Buy-It-Now" with Brenthaven Backpack and some other stuff, but was willing take $3000.)

My response to them was something like:

"How do you know the person received their Powerbook? There are alot of scams on eBay. In my auction those are original pictures taken the day the auction started in my own house. I have the original receipt, box, manuals, etc... and can prove it. I highly doubt you can get a brand new 17 inch Powerbook for $2000 or so."

There response was:

"That is true. If I use buy it now will you take payment through http://ripoff.com? They are super secure way to make such a large payment." (of course I said no! I had never heard of any of the escrow places people were trying to get me to use. I got quite a few emails about this.)

And most of them were from outside the country. One person said they wanted me to ship it to their brother or cousin in switzerland or some place for a graduation present and offered $2650. I laughed and told him to forget it. I told him I would ship to him and he could ship it where ever he wanted after that and that if he wanted it right now to use "Buy-It-Now".

Coincedently, I think this is the dork who used "Buy-It-Now" on my auction but never contacted me. I noticed my 17 Powerbook was not the only one he bid and won on. I got his contact info from eBay and called him. The number does not exist. So, now I have to wait for ebay to credit me $100, the cost of putting my 17 inch on eBay with a reserve price minus $10 listing fee.

Chris

zengravy
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 01:54 PM

Yes, it is becoming hard even for sellers on eBay. I have been trying to sell my 15" 1 GHz Ti for the past three weeks now.

My first "buyer" was actually the hapless victim of eBay User ID theft. So I'm left disputing the final value fee eBay charges.

Me second auction resulted in me cancelling the bid of a person whose account was two days old and happened to be bidding on 12 other laptops.

My third auction ended with someone using Buy It Now. Thereafter I received an email requesting that I ship it to him in the Phillipines because he was out of the country doing some work. As a result, he said, his PayPal shipping address would not be "Confirmed".

I don't know how much selling you guys do on eBay, but PayPal WILL NOT protect a seller from chargebacks if they ship to a non-US Verified, Confirmed address that matches the billing address of the credit card.

I have now relisted the PowerBook for the 4th time! I am already deluged with emails asking if I ship to Indonesia and if I will end the auction now and accept payment through wescrewyoulongtime.com.

It's becoming a very sick, twisted world on eBay for BOTH buyers and sellers!

zen

If anyone wants a good PowerBook G4 15", AND YOU'RE NOT IN INDONESIA, check out the 4th in a long series of relists:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=14909&rd=1

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 04:14 PM

So how about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2724315505 ? I waited and waited...29 days came and went. So I asked for a refund that supposedly has been sent to me this past Sunday. Said it was "submitted for directbill payment check" whatever that means. I got him to say he uses Bank of America for this purpose. I dunno...

At the time of my order, the guy had perfect feedback for over 200 transactions. Had been a member for awhile. I paid via US Postal Service money order...Does that give me any protection?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:21 PM

We bank with Bank of America.

Call 800-299-BANK and ask them about that.

Sounds fishy to me.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 04:37 PM

We bank with Bank of America.

Call 800-299-BANK and ask them about that.

Sounds fishy to me.
Thanks for the phone number. I called Bank of America and asked if this was possible (to "submit for directbill payment check." I was told yes. They couldn't see if the check was requested or its status because they use an outside company. The support person did say I should receive the check this Monday. So more waiting to see if I've been taken...

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:38 PM

BTSelectronics?

Sorry to break it to you but I believe that that particular seller is under investigation by the FBI and the state of Texas. We were discussing eBay sales, actually. You need to contact the State Attorney's office where they are. I was speaking to our legal department the other day about getting rid of excess corporate printers (4MPs, 6MPS, etc.) and the talk turned to eBay and then to scams. I was actually discussing some of the people here who have been scammed, like Transit. Then the convo turned to huge scams and then our IT director weighed in. I think we discussed it for about an hour.

Specifically, we were discussing presales and I said that I remember that he discussed one presales seller out of Texas and our IT director said that there is a huge investigation going on right now in Texas over a presales seller -- and it sounds like your seller. He just came back from spending a couple of weeks in Houston.

What I want to know is why is eBay letting people run "presale" auctions?

I hope like h*ll that eBay gets in big trouble with the U.S. Attorney's office over their presales.

Chris Chong Kim, aka "CalvinsAuctions" ran presales.

Teresa Smith, aka "ShadowsmithSB" ran presales.

And now there's BTSelectronics.

All of them are in big trouble.

See, these people set up buy orders for "lots" of 25 at a time through resellers like MacMall, MacZone, etc.

They get a deep discount.

People pay them and they pay the reseller and pocket the amount left over.

But, what they don't realize is that eBay has deep pockets -- along with Paypal. Those fees that they charge add up to a LOT.

Once they start to slip a little in orders is when their downfall begins. Someone calls Paypal and complains. Once a complaint is logged then Paypal freezes the person's account. Once the account is frozen (between 30 to 90 days) then the seller has no ability to purchase the Powerbooks to send to the seller complaining -- along with the other buyers.

So, other buyers complain. Now there's a snowball effect because EVERYONE is unhappy. Phone calls to the police are made, complaints are made to Paypal and eBay, and before you know it, the funds are locked up and seized and the seller has no ability to fix the problem.

Next thing you know, the seller is facing federal fraud charges.

Who's at fault? Yes, obviously, the seller. Who else? EBAY.

Presales should NOT be allowed.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:40 PM

O.K.

Guess I should have said "usually I've noticed."

I guess it's "let's not be concrete" morning.

It was more of a warning to others, not a condemnation of your statements.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:44 PM

Naw, I don't think it's BTSElectronics.

I see that they're still selling on Yahoo here, but make sure you keep on them to refund your money. Says they're in Rowlett, Texas.

I hope you get your money back.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:46 PM

If you have a problem I'll have our IT guy drive over there next time he's in Bushland -- er, Texas -- to see what he can find out. He loves cr*p like that.

I think you're going to be okay.

This is a perfect example of why not to buy presale auction items.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 04:48 PM

No prob, Wallinbl. I should have said, "usually" anyway; I have a problem with blanket statements as a general rule, anyway, so I shouldn't make blanket statements myself.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 05:07 PM

If you have a problem I'll have our IT guy drive over there next time he's in Bushland -- er, Texas -- to see what he can find out. He loves cr*p like that.

I think you're going to be okay.

This is a perfect example of why not to buy presale auction items.
YOU ROCK! Thank you. If I don't get my refund on Monday I will take you up on that offer. If I do get the check and it clears...I will let you know that too.

Do you really think BTSELECTRONICS is okay though?

thanks.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 05:20 PM

Yes, I do.

Make sure you keep track of ALL of your paperwork, emails, etc.

The thing is, he's selling on Yahoo (his name is Jason, apparently). He must still be *somewhere* and I just did a Lexis Nexis legal search and there is nothing that I can find that is filed against him. I think he ran into some problems with eBay, that's all.

He has not even one negative feedback.

Make sure you keep ALL copies of information on this person and keep it friendly in discussions with him. Too many people run their mouths when they get anxious and it causes problems.

I think you'll be fine with him.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 05:32 PM

Hey, WilsonX

You have NO WORRIES, guy: You paid via USPS money order -- SMART!

I've been telling everyone and their mother for the longest time to ONLY pay via USPS money orders: You have 100% fraud protection through the federal government.

If he doesn't pay you, say, within the next 10 days, then you take your information and you submit copies of everything you have to the United States Postal Service and you WILL get your money back. It may take a few weeks, but you'll get it back.

And, if he's smart, he'll give you back your money or else he'll be charged with wire fraud -- and by the federal government. He must know this.

You don't have anything to worry about.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 05:39 PM

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 07:51 PM

Yo, thanks iwrite! I have saved everything, including the registered mail card he signed, and all my email exchanges with him. I have kept it pretty civil. Although, I have become more assertive lately. I will be careful, thanks for the caution. I love this mac forum. Has to be one of the best parts of switching from the peecee world!

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 08:04 PM

Then you'll be fine. No worries.

You have Uncle Sam on your side.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by wilsonX:
So how about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2724315505 ? I waited and waited...29 days came and went. So I asked for a refund that supposedly has been sent to me this past Sunday. Said it was "submitted for directbill payment check" whatever that means. I got him to say he uses Bank of America for this purpose. I dunno...

At the time of my order, the guy had perfect feedback for over 200 transactions. Had been a member for awhile. I paid via US Postal Service money order...Does that give me any protection?
Dude - how could you think this was legit with these terms?

Don't mess with the
rest when you can buy from the BEST! This
is a PRESALE auction - These systems are
ordered direct from a factory distributor.
Do not waste time with other pre-sales that
have you wait 30 days or more---order from
here and you will have shipment of your
item within 29 days of cleared payment
confirmation. We are so confident of our
shipping terms that we offer a 103% money-
back guarantee. This item will ship within
29 days of cleared payment confirmation OR
you can request to receive a 103% (One-
Hundred Three Percent) refund. This pre-
sale auction is in accordance with auction
rules and regulations. Be flexible with
your delivery and realize a nice discount
off full retail price.

Please bid on this item ONLY
if you intend to honor your bid. It is
shameful to prevent a legitimate buyer from
purchase with a bid that is not honored.

Personal, Business, and
Cashiers checks are accepted. There is a 7
business day hold on ALL checks.

Orders paid by US postal money
order will not have a clearance delay
before being placed with my supplier.

PayPal is NOT accepted. c2it
IS accepted.

NO COD or ESCROW.

Payment on all auctions must
be received within 10 days and contact with
seller must be established within 3 days.
Please confirm all your auction winnings
with an Email.

ALL non paying bidders will
have negative feedback left and a non-
paying bidder report filed against them.</

By placing a bid on this
auction you agree to SquareTrade mediation
of any dispute BEFORE leaving any neutral
or negative feedback.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Dude - how could you think this was legit with these terms?

B
\
dude
200+ positive feedback, member for long time, history of selling-not buying then a few sales. Emailed a buyer on the list. I did research the guy. I think the lesson is, even if all this looks good...you never really know...
( Last edited by wilsonX; Jun 12, 2003 at 10:22 PM. )

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2003, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by wilsonX:
\
dude
200+ positive feedback, member for long time, history of selling-not buying then a few sales. Emailed a buyer on the list. I did research the guy. I think the lesson is, even if all this looks good...you never really know...
Ok, I'll make 'ya a deal. When you get your check, I'll send you one for the same amount.

PeterKG
Senior User
Jun 13, 2003, 12:01 AM

Hey iwrite,

How ya been man? I think you need to become the resident lawyer/investigator. You're too damn good at it. I wish I had Lexis-Nexis

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 02:55 AM

I'll be the attorney if you be my P.I.

Been out hunting down fraudulent sellers and their supposed locations lately?

We need to start an Apple-specific fraud warning site for all Mac enthusiasts.

You can be the head honcho. I'm too busy to do it -- I'm what Leona Helmsly and Martha Stewart would refer to as "one of the little people."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2003, 03:20 AM

I sold a ton of old-ish Mac stuff recently. Snow iMac, scanners, printers etc.
I was so hacked off about bogus bidders that in the end I specified that everything had to be paid for in cash and picked up in person.

All of a sudden I had a ton of genuine bidders. I appeciate that this is probably not a solution in the US

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Ok, I'll make 'ya a deal. When you get your check, I'll send you one for the same amount.
It's a deal.

chinese_fashion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 05:16 PM

So now I don't know WHAT to do...I want to sell my g4 tower and Lacie Monitor. And I've posted on here, but with no takers. I've never used ebay before, and this thread is making me think it's not such a good idea. To a guy that is TOTALLY new to eBay, is it safe to try and sell this thing?

I just want to turn it into a 12" PowerBook as effectively as possible.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by chinese_fashion:
So now I don't know WHAT to do...I want to sell my g4 tower and Lacie Monitor. And I've posted on here, but with no takers. I've never used ebay before, and this thread is making me think it's not such a good idea. To a guy that is TOTALLY new to eBay, is it safe to try and sell this thing?

The towers don't get as much unwanted attention as the new PBs. You should be fine.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by chinese_fashion:

The challenge you'll have is that you are a "NEW" ebayer and don't have any feedback. You're probably going to get some crap for that.

I've been a member of eBay since 1998 - but never really used it until recently. I joined way back when and got verified and all that - but just looked every now and again over the years. Didn't buy, didn't sell.

Then I decided to sell a motorcycle and went up to eBay - I received a dozen "i'll box it now for x if you terminate your bid" as well as "what's your reserve" vs. a ton of what I considered unreasonable requests from people to prove I wasn't a scam artist. I had people from all over the US bidding and even a few international bids - despite the fact that I said you had to pick it up in Chicago and I wasn't shipping.

Bottom line - eBay is just another marketing vehcile for whatever you want to sell. You still need to exercise common sense and verify funds, etc. before you ship. Just like I wouldn't sell a car or a motorcycle to some local guy who wanted to write me a check, I wouldn't do such on eBay.

:->

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 10:36 PM

So, I got an email from him stating I have a check coming from "Qchex". should be here soon. Here's hoping I receive it and that its actually worth the amount I'm due.

Thanks to those who have been helpful.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 10:45 PM

First it's Bank of America. Now it's "QChex."

You need to tell him this:

"Jason, you have 7 days to get my refund to me. If it is not here I am filing a federal complaint against you using my United States Postal Service money order."

You need to send the same notification in an overnight letter to him. (Don't send Certified mail because he can refuse it and he won't suspect overnight express mail -- plus it's legally admissable in a court of law.)

I wouldn't trust this "QChex" business. Tell him you want your refund in the same way it arrived at his location: United States Postal Service money order.

Don't BS around with him anymore. You have the federal government on your side and you'll get your money back. Be nice but be firm.

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 11:01 PM

Crap. I thought I was going to be okay. After reading your post, I called Bank of America to see if Qchex is their "outside company" for this purpose. It's not. I went to the Qchex website, they seem "gulp" legit. I have asked Jason for the money back in the form of a US Postal service money order. But he ignored the request. I'm thinking maybe I wait to see if this Qchex thing is for real. I'm not sure if I need to tell him I'm going to file a complaint...iWrite, whaddya think?

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2003, 11:16 PM

iWrite, okay, so my wife agrees with you. I sent him an email pretty close to what you said. PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy of it if you're interested. Thanks for the advice.

DimeTech
Jun 14, 2003, 01:23 AM

Let me just start off saying that I went through with a BTS Electronics deal for a powermac. He stated that it would be shipped within 29 days. Well, it wasn't. So I emailed and told him I wanted the 103% refund. The check came from Qchex about a week later. I deposited it and everything was fine. At first, I almost cr***** my pants because I thought I got duped. Especially when it didn't ship on time. But from my experience, this Jason is a good guy. I got more than what I sent to him, on by like 50 bucks though.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2003, 01:43 AM

Originally posted by dagonjames:
In response to your Paypal question I have this to offer. I sold an item through ebay for $800 few months ago and was paid via paypal. After I shipped it to the guy and he said he got it and everything was fine. Suddenly out of the blue paypal takes all the money back for no reason. It turns out the guy decided to lie to his credit card company so that he could keep my item AND his money. guess what paypal did about it, NOTHING! Guess what ebay did about it, NOTHING! Both companies siad that I should call the police in his state 3000 miles away because they aren't equipped to investigate and deal with fraud like this. Be warned.

Hello James. I'm assuming that you're a brilliant individual who would never do something like what I'm about to describe.

Anyone who would send a computer without having the carrier get a signature and proof of delivery is a complete and total idiot. Since you are obviously not that type of person, all you need to do is fax Paypal that information you certainly still have and they should take care of this problem.

PeteWK

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 02:07 AM

But they don't. If this guy lied to his credit card company and told them reason he is withholding payment is because the item was defective then there is nothing paypal will do.

Sadly.

dettociao
Senior User
Jun 15, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
But they don't. If this guy lied to his credit card company and told them reason he is withholding payment is because the item was defective then there is nothing paypal will do.

Sadly.
Happened to me, but I contacted the other guy's Credit Card company and got it resolved.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2003, 11:13 PM

this fraud crap is unbelievable. for buyers, i have always simply followed the "if its too good to be true" rule. firthurmore, i will only buy expensive expensive items in person.

for sellers...which i now find myself one for a PB...here is the latest language from Paypal:

=========================
Seller Protection Policy

This Policy was last modified on April 24, 2003.

General. PayPal's Seller Protection Policy is designed to try to help buyers recover funds from sellers who do not ship the promised goods, and to reduce the risk of reversals (a reversal, or chargeback, occurs when a buyer rejects or reverses a charge on his or her credit card) for sellers who follow specified risk-reduction procedures.

PayPal's Seller Protection Policy only applies to tangible, physical goods which can be shipped, and excludes everything else, including but not limited to: intangibles, services, quasi-cash and all non-tangible, non-physical goods.

Policy Conditions. PayPal agrees to indemnify sellers of physical goods from reversal liability resulting from a buyer's unauthorized use of a credit card and/or false claims of non-shipment of goods. This protection applies only to the sale of physical goods, and not to any non-tangible, non-physical goods or services pursuant to section 1 above. It applies to up to $5,000 per year of payments received by the seller through PayPal if the following conditions are met:

The seller has a U.S. Verified Business or a U.S. Verified Premier Account or a Canadian Verified Business or Canadian Verified Premier Account. Note: While Non-U.S. sellers outside of Canada may have a status of Verified, they do not qualify for and are not protected by the Seller Protection Policy and therefore may be responsible for any reversals made due to fraudulent funds

The seller ships to the buyer's Confirmed Address.

The seller can provide reasonable proof-of-shipment which can be tracked online. This documentation must show that you shipped to the Confirmed Address. (Most U.S. carrier companies offer this service, including the U.S. Postal Service.) For transactions $500 or more in value that are initiated between November 15, 2001 and April 19, 2002, and for transactions $250 or more in value that are initiated on or after April 19, 2002, the seller also needs to provide an online proof-of-receipt in the form of a signature from the recipient. Because comparable proof-of-shipment is not currently available for electronically-delivered items, we are currently unable to offer Seller Protection for digital goods and other electronically-delivered items.

The seller accepted a single payment from only one PayPal account for the purchase. (Multiple payments from different accounts for a single item are a fraud indicator. Sellers should not accept such payments.)

The seller ships to a U.S. buyer at a U.S. address.

The seller cooperates in resolving disputes by responding in the following time periods: When a complaint occurs, the seller must provide complete information within 7 days of a request from PayPal. However, if PayPal is required by the credit card association to respond immediately to resolve a reversal, sellers must provide the information within 3 days. PayPal will indicate the response time required in the e-mail message sent to the seller.

The seller ships within 7 days of receiving payment.

If you do not qualify for the Seller Protection Policy. When you receive funds through PayPal, if the sender's transaction is reversed for any reason and you do not qualify for the Seller Protection Policy for that transaction, you will owe PayPal for the amount of the reversed transaction plus any fees imposed on PayPal as a result of the reversal. You agree to reimburse PayPal from either your PayPal account or by other means as described in the Payments (Sending, Receiving, and Withdrawing) Policy.

Paypal link
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

Forum Links
Forum Rules