Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Accessories for PowerBooks

Accessories for PowerBooks
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 12:29 PM

I need some new accessories. I need a mouse that has a retractable cord so it doesnt annoy me, and I need a worthy ethernet hub so I can use my iMac as a print server, and to backup work too it when i connect my 12 to the hub. You all know my needs so all suggestions are appreciated.

Then maybe everyone can go off on a tangent and talk about great accesssories for the laptops. I think it would interest everyone. Their are many cool gizmos out their I and others dont know about. Most of you people who have had powerbooks for years know about this stuff. I am on my first laptop and powerbook ever but not my first mac.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 12:31 PM

LOL, great post, I have the same needs. Lets hear it everyone.
( Last edited by Cincojoe; Sep 20, 2003 at 12:45 PM. )

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 12:34 PM

I should note i need a 2 button mouse with scroll wheel. Maybe bluetooth or USB doesnt really matter.

I dont know much about ethernet hubs so just enlighten me. Or would a roughter be better. And whats a switcher. Not the apple switcher hahah the network swich box thing a ma jig
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 12:45 PM

In layman's terms a switch is basically a much more optimized hub. It directs traffic to the specific systems that need it resulting in better throughput. If you have a PC that will handle DHCP functions (assingning IPs) then you don't need a router. In your case since you will be backing stuff up over the network, a switch is better. And if you don't want to mess around with assigning IPs for the networked PCs, you can get a router (wired routers are cheap anyways).

On the topic of accessories, it's what I hate the most about getting a laptop. You set aside a bunch of money for the laptop itself, but then there's tons of tempting accessories you wanna buy. And since I'm getting an iPod also, now I gotta get accessories for that also, heh.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 12:50 PM

I did it again. Forgot to add the details which could change your opinion on what i might need. I need to share my DSL connection too. The DSL hub is up here right next to my iMac. Plus I could hook my friends laptop up to it and we could play JKII locally. Im hoping it works like a crossover cable for that. So i want to do a lot with it i guess. My bad for not expressing ALL my needs

Its just a little home network. So i dont have to plug the stupid USB cord from my crappy epson 740 printer into my laptop. Its easier to just hook up to ethernet and be able to do everyhting. I hooked up directly to my iMac and was in my glory but thats a hasstle which is why i need what I said. Do you think a switch will still be ok then.

Tell me abotu it my iPod specs are below and i want an FM modulator for my car

Its like god nothing is free in america. The tax on my powerbook was ridiculious.

Shipping and handling my +++ those people just move it.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 01:05 PM

Ok, if you are sharing broadband you need a router. You just have to decide whether you want a wireless one or wired (wireless ones come w/ 4 ethernet ports btw). Since you have a PB, I'd think you should get a wireless router. So basically you share your printer that is hooked up to your iMac and that will connect to one ethernet port on the router. The only downside to this is that you need to have your iMac on whenever you want to print to it from another device on the network. Otherwise you can get a USB->ethernet print server which would hook up to another ethernet port on the router. And there will be 2 or 3 wired ports free for hooking up any other PCs depending on your setup.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 09:29 PM

So if i go buy an airport extreme card, it will work with the wireless roughter, or I could just use my existing ethernet cable to hook up to it. Could be a dumb question but I think I am starting to understand. BTW my imac is always in sleep mode. Also wouldnt I need a wireless hub to do that.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2003, 09:54 PM

For the mouse, try one of these. It has a little retractable cord that stows inside the mouse itself. I haven't used one so I can't comment on quality. There's also a wireless version, with a little wireless receiver that stows inside the mouse, but MacAddict gave it a "Lousy" rating so I'd say try it out before you buy.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 10:06 PM

One little note, wireless routers with 4-port switch built in are fairly common and cheap so that woould be your best choice.

I use and older (black) pro mouse with my PB but I think I may switch over to a bluetooth mouth in the near future to save having to deal with the cord.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 10:10 PM

As for other accessories, there are numerous notebook bags threads on this forum.

I'd say a Kensington notebook lock is a must have (for me anyway).

Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
I need some new accessories. I need a mouse that has a retractable cord so it doesnt annoy me, and I need a worthy ethernet hub so I can use my iMac as a print server, and to backup work too it when i connect my 12 to the hub. You all know my needs so all suggestions are appreciated.

Then maybe everyone can go off on a tangent and talk about great accesssories for the laptops. I think it would interest everyone. Their are many cool gizmos out their I and others dont know about. Most of you people who have had powerbooks for years know about this stuff. I am on my first laptop and powerbook ever but not my first mac.
For my PB to be ordered next week, I plan to use cordless mouse and keyboard...have used the cordless mouse with iMac and love it...no more cords! My model is Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2003, 07:59 PM

So far I got a Brenthaven Shoulder bag, and a Kensington Security Lock Combo not key.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 11:10 PM

Most 3rd party wireless routers have 4 ethernet ports, and you can find 802.11b WAPs (wireless access points) for as low as $20 on sale. The iMac has to be awake for the printer to be shared. Of course, you could get the AEBS with usb printer connection, but budget-wise, the old sneaker-net (walk over to the iMac to wake it up) works find.

If your friend hooks up to play games, and if he does ethernet then you'll probably want to also connect via ethernet because the speed may be faster. You'll have to experiment and see.

Cool accessory suggestion: How about something that really personalizes it? I like the macskinz where you can put your own images under the cover, your own photography or a collage. And then you can periodically change it out.

http://www.macskinz.com/cgi-bin/desi...all.cgi?page=P

i don't know anyone who has one, but it's a neat idea.

Forum Links
Forum Rules