Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5?

IE 5?
HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2000, 11:08 PM

Am I the only one who is sick of hearing how great IE 5 is? Where is it? I keep reading all the reviews and awards but when will it become available? Anyone know when we will get IE 5?

Alex Rodriguer

bluefire 529
Feb 13, 2000, 12:43 AM

IE 5 should be available later this month or early next, if memory serves.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2000, 01:54 PM

C'mon, there are beta versions all over the web. Check out the aiboards iDisk. That's where I got my copy.

Oh yea, you might wanna keep 4.5 handy. Some features are not available in the beta, but it is a significant improvment nonetheless.

[This message has been edited by GORDYmac (edited 02-14-2000).]

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2000, 03:20 PM

While it does have some great new features, and it IS faster (than IE 4.5) it's not ready for primetime! I'd rather wait until it's finished (properly) than get it early and be buggy. MS has stated that March is the release month. I am using iCab 97% of the time now, but IE 5 (beta) is coming along nicely, for bloatware! :d

Scott

geodon005
Feb 15, 2000, 02:03 PM

GORDYmac:

Just where is the "aiboards iDisk"? I have been using the first IE 5 beta (and like it a lot, but the site I got it from is gone. I just found out that the second beta release is out, and would love to get my hands on it.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Pierre
Feb 15, 2000, 02:44 PM

I second that. I would like to try out the IE5PR2 on a preview basis. Anyone got it on iDisk

For the post on its limited release, see:
http://www.maccentral.com/news/0002/15.ie5.shtml

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2000, 03:23 PM

In all honesty, I've had it work flawlessly (except known issues) on some Macs and completely kill other systems. I'd wait for the release, but that's MHO.

Scott

iwantie5
Feb 15, 2000, 04:21 PM

So where can I d/l it?

IEGod

HotDog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2000, 04:31 PM

This is on Macnn.com:

"Microsoft will introduce Internet Explorer 5 at Macworld Tokyo tomorrow, according to a Microsoft spokesperson. IE 5 will be available mid-March, according to the company. Microsoft demonstrated the OS X native version, which is being developed simultaneously with the Mac OS 8 and 9 versions, at Macworld San Francisco last month."

Alex

MusicMan
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2000, 03:13 PM

Where can I d/l IE 5 beta 2? Anybody know?
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2000, 10:11 PM

I don't know what kind of betas MS is releasing to those "selected" PR users, but b31 is the latest private beta and it's coming along nicely, although after reading MacCentral's PR2 report all I can say is that the "new" PR2 features that they reported on have been in the private betas for quite some time.

Btw, mid-March it is, according to Microsoft.

penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2000, 04:20 PM

I just posted something about this in another thread, but it bears repeating:

IE5b30 is the most recent version I've seen (at work, so screw the guy who claimed he was coming after me with the police for *gasp* using a prerelease version at home) and it's improved greatly. Nearly stable.

It crashed repeatedly until I deleted the Microsoft Internet Library (which forces the First Run app to launch and install the correct software) and then it worked just fine.

For bloated code, it's not bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules