Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev b 17" Powerbook and ICE CREAM! oh the horror

Rev b 17" Powerbook and ICE CREAM! oh the horror
yinchiang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 12:52 AM

Check this out. I get off my last class, drive home, park the car, and walk into my room. There I see my little sister sitting at my desk playing with my rev b 17" powerbook, with a cup of ice cream in her hand. (keep in mind I don't even let her in my room when I'm not at home let alone TOUCH my powerbook EVER)

Knowing that she damn well is not allowed to go near the computer, my sudden entrance naturally shocks her. For a split second it causes her clumsyass to drop the bowl of icecream on top of my desk to the immediate left of the computer, barely missing a possible dent.

So the bowl misses, but the ice cream inside of the bowl is another story. A big glob of strawberry flavored crap smears near the upper left portion of my powerbook right on top of speaker! What's worse? Some of it smears inside the power adapter port!!

At this point I am absolutely horrified. I quickly grab the nearest rag that I see and wipe off as much strawberry glop as possible. Following that, I suck through the speaker grill holes as well as the power adapter port like a psychotic child inhaling a helium balloon.

So I kick the little brat out of my room, and she runs out the front door and drives off crying to her boyfriends house for comfort. Boo hoo. Cry me a river.

Ok, So I am using the computer and it seems to be running ok, but here's the concerning part. Whenever I plug in the power adapter, I immediately hear a nasty hissing noise. I am assuming the heat being generated via the ac adapter is 'melting' some of the leftover ice cream that leaked through. This is my simple minded theory, so if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

I really have no clue what to except, but I am expecting the worst because in situations like these I'm a huge pessimist. So now I have a lot of work to do. As I am typing I am backing up my itunes library (10gigs) as well as my final cut projects for school and other important files onto the 4 remaining apple dvd r discs that I fortunately have.

Of course I don't want to have to plug in my power adapter, but as the battery drains down, Im going to have to in order to backup the rest of my essential files. There's no applestore in my area, and of course applecare is not open right now, so I basically need some advice from anyone that can help.

The hissing noise is alarming.

Moral(s) of the story: 1. Backup data! I'm a dumbass for holding back so long (I wish I had an ipod right now...)

2. Activate startup login if you have someone living at home that likes to snoop and play behind your back when they know theyre not supposed to!

Thanks for hearing me out!

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 01:37 AM

Holy... You have incredible patience, if my sister did that she'd have some serious bruises and welts. Some random stranger spilt a bit of soda on my trackpad and it took every bit of strength I had not to lay her out.

My advice though is to power down. When the soda hit my touchpad, I shut down and went to my schools computer store. But they wouldn't do anything because the keyboard isn't removable like previous models. Ice cream, I think, will pose a much more serious threat than ginger ale. It's gonna coat everything it touched and it won't go away. Even though it's going to cost you, get your PB checked out as soon as possible. Last thing you want is for the thing to short.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 01:39 AM

yinchiang: Oh my GOD. I would have FLIPPED! Sorry to hear what happened.

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 02:07 AM

Yikes! Sounds horrible. The hard drive should be alright - it's not too close to the power adapter and unless the ice cream really shorted things out, which doesn't seem too likely as you are currently backing up, your info should be fine.

Now to address this rather sticky situation. Go here and download the manual for your computer. Read the directions a couple of times, and when you are comfortable, remove the top case and carefully clean things. Hope everything turns out well.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

yinchiang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 02:16 AM

Thanks!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 02:17 AM

I'm terribly sorry to hear about that, and hope it works out for you without too much cost involved. My own PB 17" suffered a near-death experience last month - and so did my colleague - when he spilled his coffee just inches away from my PB. Luckily most of it went on me, which, although unpleasant, was better than having it spill all over my vulnerable laptop. It was an accident and I know he felt bad, but man was I pissed.

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 14, 2003, 02:36 AM

You have much more restraint than I, I swear when my clumsy friend is over, my heart rate raises higher than at any other point in my daily goings on.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 02:42 AM

Forgot to suggest something. After downloading the manual, either print out the relevant pages or copy the file onto another machine. Nothing more irritating than to get stuck, then realize the file is on your computer which is currently in pieces,
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 02:45 AM

the joys of being a mac user, you don't get stressed by the computer anymore...but by your 'friends' and 'families'.

very sorry to hear that. i would have done...i dunno what i would've done if my brother did that. well, since it's still running, i suggest power down asap and clean the insides with some pure water (if you can get any) - wipe down the insides with a slightly wetted cloth, they're non-conducting and shouldn't short anything, after that, try consulting a service center. good luck.
Ryan

macplus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 03:52 AM

Yinchiang, I recommend cleaning the connector and plug as best you can. I doubt you have 'contact cleaner' around so the next best thing are q-tips and rubbing alcohol. The hissing sound is actually electrical arcing to oxidized parts of the plug from the ice cream melting on it. I had a similar experience with my power cord being dropped in a fish bowl overnight!

Now about the speaker, I just pulled apart my 17" last night after finding this site: http://61.194.6.236/pbg417h1.html It's actually quite easy to disassemble if you have a good screwdriver. Most of the grille is solid, except for the opening at the bottom for the speaker, and a circle at the top for the ambient light sensor. The best thing to do is pull the top cover (keyboard, trackpad, grilles, etc are all part of it) and clean out the ice cream. If you want I can email you a pic of the backside of the cover, just let me know-

Could have been worse....could have been lemonade

Cory
"It's been fun, but I really have to
scream now!"

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 07:18 AM

Wow! I'm trying top picture you sucking on the PowerBook speaker. OK, now I'm not anymore...

Maybe let it dry, so the ice cream becomes powder, and just let it fall away on its own? Maybe with the help of a vacuum?

(Your sister is old enough to drive but can't handle staying away from your PB with her ice cream?)
nagromme

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 08:35 AM

Let this be a wake up call to all Powerbook users. I myself have begun to get careless, drinking and leaving the bottle close to my PB while using it. Not any more. When I leave my room is always locked. You just can't trust any other human being or other creature. Sometimes not even ourselves. ...GOT IT????

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 08:35 AM

It's so nice to live alone . And if I was telling that story, your sister would be driving off the wig shop to buy a temporary piece after I snatched her bald for spilling ice cream on my laptop.

She would be paying to have your powerbook looked at since she caused the problem in the first place; otherwise one of her favorite items would "mysteriously" disappear or be broken...

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

yinchiang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I truly appreciate it.

Here's an update:

After backing up all my data (I was up until 3am) I shut down the computer and went to sleep.

This morning I plugged in the pb, fired it up, and the hissing noise is gone! Maybe the ice cream is all dried up or melted but everything seems ok for now.

I do plan on buying a compatible screwdriver and taking apart the case so i can have a further look into the area. (thanks for the user-manual link)

As for my sister (who is 19), believe me, she felt my wrath and did not get off easy. I'm generally a really nice easygoing person and I don't get angry too often, so last nite I pretty much scared her sh*tless by revealing the insane side of my personality going ballistic on her. She's one of those types that has booksmarts intellegence but zero common sense. (who the hell uses a powerbook while they eat icecream AND watch mtv at the same time?!). She kept pleading 'it was just an accident, sorry!"

Hey dumbas* you weren't supposed to be using the computer in the first place so you can shut the hell up! (*Ahem, sorry about that...still gets me pissed thinking about it)

Ok I'm done, thanks for hearing me out and I appreciate the help!

yinchiang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 03:36 PM

crap the noise came back. i think i'm going to call in sick for work and make a trek to the nearest apple store.

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 05:34 PM

Repair will cost something--but your sister can pay in installments
nagromme

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 06:17 PM

Hopefully it is a short in the speaker itself, not the the ac. Let us know how things are going.
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 06:51 PM

remember the old saying: "if money can fix something, it isn't broken."

the point is
we are ALL sorry about the indicent
i have a 9 year old daughter at home.... so i know of the worries you have

nonetheless.... i surely hope that you will settle things with your sister again and soon

she is your flesh and blood and the computer is just a computer

really now

i love mine more than a lot
but not more than my daughter
and i know you don't love your's more than your sister

make up

get back to like
and get some perspective, my friend

no offense intended

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 07:33 PM

Imediately go to safeware.com and buy insurance!

It covers accidents as well as mysterious actions ...." it's a mystery why your sister is so stupid!"

My wife dropped one of my Ibooks in the whirlpool! Thank goodness she was not using her TiPB! Safeware paid the entire tab!

Kermy
Nov 14, 2003, 07:44 PM

Wow some of you guys are screwed up. Willing to risk a life time of resentment by a member of your own family over a laptop. Sheesh...

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Kermy:
Wow some of you guys are screwed up. Willing to risk a life time of resentment by a member of your own family over a laptop. Sheesh...
Hey, we resent that!
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

yinchiang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 07:53 PM

Yeah I know she's flesh and blood and of course I still love the little brat. Eventually I will get over this, but the fact remains that she is an adult who should have known better. That's a huge difference from an innocent 9 year old.

As for the computer. I took a long drive to the nearest apple store only to have the genius refuse to open up my machine because he said they wouldn't even be able to test affected components in question (the ac port). I informed him that I spoke with an applecare phone rep earlier in the morning who told me that taking the computer to the store to have it checked on would be no problem. The genius responded by saying the phonerep was incorrect and told me that I could only have it sent out to applecare. Of course I protested and he got backup from a fellow co-genius who just said the same thing. After further protest they triple teamed me with one of the assistant managers.

I thought it was pretty ridiculous. Personally I don't know what to believe, but all I can say is the store was extremely busy and it was obvious that they didn't want to take my computer given the hectic situation at the store along with my peculiar circumstance. There was about half a dozen people waiting with their computers to be serviced on, as well as another small group of people waiting to pick up their computers.

So instead of dealing with that circus I decided to go back home and now I'll have to send it in myself.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by spalding12:
remember the old saying: "if money can fix something, it isn't broken."

the point is
we are ALL sorry about the indicent
i have a 9 year old daughter at home.... so i know of the worries you have

nonetheless.... i surely hope that you will settle things with your sister again and soon

she is your flesh and blood and the computer is just a computer

really now

i love mine more than a lot
but not more than my daughter
and i know you don't love your's more than your sister

make up

get back to like
and get some perspective, my friend

no offense intended

greg
That's nice and all, but stuff like this happens just two words come to mind when you have someone that doesn't understand the meaning of stay out of my room... Pavlov's Dog...

And when you get that understanding together, people get a long a lot better... and your blood pressure's a lot more manageable. Then everyone can sing that chorus of Kumbaya, because everyone knows the boundaries instead of constantly trying to test them.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

yinchiang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 08:06 PM

Kermy who said anything about lifetime resentment? I'm just PISSED and I have every right to be. Read my entire post again. My sis is an adult and knows she is not supposed to use my computer. Thats what bothers me.

Do you want to know what's worse? Her own computer was running perfectly FINE so she didn't even have to use my computer.

She could have checked her email and chatted with her friends on her own computer (toshiba laptop-BIG surprise why she was using mine...) but she chose to use my mac...while eating a bowl of strawberry icecream and watching some overplayed reality show on mtv!!

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 08:19 PM

Well I hope you make her pay for the repairs if you take it in. And she should give up use of her laptop until you get yours back. It's only fair; she should know better, she would have freaked if you were in her room and spilled something on her laptop.

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

MacsGalor
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Imediately go to safeware.com and buy insurance!

It covers accidents as well as mysterious actions ...." it's a mystery why your sister is so stupid!"

My wife dropped one of my Ibooks in the whirlpool! Thank goodness she was not using her TiPB! Safeware paid the entire tab!
Holy Mother of #@$ an iBook in a whirlpool. All I can say is damn, yet now the evil side in me rears up and makes me think....
They paid to repair the whole thing or gave you money to replace it. If they did what was the amount they gave you, was it equal to what you paid? I think you see what I am getting at. Granted it could be looked at as insurance fraud but what says that when your Powerbook gets outdated you don't just have a "mysterious action" and drop your pbook in the toilet, then you get a brand spanking new one!!!! of course I would never do this though hehe

sghms
Nov 14, 2003, 08:49 PM

I agree that powerbooks are expensive and we would like everyone to take care when either using or being near them.

But forgive and forget, accidents do happen, yinchiang i hope your computer is fixed quickly if there is any problem.

For those people who are saying that his sister should compensate him in some fashion are being a bit harsh. She made a mistake for which she is sorry. She has learnt her lesson I'm sure and no need to beat her over the head about it. As someone wrote, no piece of equipment is worth fighting with the family over

Regards
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 08:57 PM

the funny thing is that as i type this reply i am at a starbucks in tampa, florida/t-mobile hotspot and that same 9 year old daughter is drinking some chocolate/ice cream drink 10" from my 17" powerbook and i can't help but think that God may be thinking of trying to teach me a lesson about my comments above.

have a nice night
i think i'll send her outside!

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 10:43 PM

I would never open my PowerBook because it voids the warranty. I hate it when people give that advice but don�t point that out. If you say that to someone then you should warn them about that.

Anyway you ended up luck. Slap that sister of yours she deserves it.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 10:45 PM

Regardless if you have safeware or not you could still lose your work. People this is a big reminder for all of us that we should backup more often. It certainly woke me up I have been careless lately.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 11:49 PM

Yes they replaced the Ibook and I was able to retrieve everything off hard drive! My wife was upset because she lost out on the item she was bidding on on Ebay before she could get out of tub & logon on her PB. I guess it saved me some money because she didn't buy whatever she was bidding on!

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by sghms:
For those people who are saying that his sister should compensate him in some fashion are being a bit harsh.
How is it harsh? She caused the problem and so she is responsible for its resolution. Not a difficult concept.

sghms
Nov 17, 2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
How is it harsh? She caused the problem and so she is responsible for its resolution. Not a difficult concept.
Because it was an accident, I'm sure she is sorry and won't do it again. Why punish her on top by making her pay for the damage as well. The lesson has been learnt and no point in driving it home with a sledgehammer.

My thoughts anyway

2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2003, 06:35 AM

Because it was an accident, I'm sure she is sorry and won't do it again. Why punish her on top by making her pay for the damage as well. The lesson has been learnt and no point in driving it home with a sledgehammer.

My thoughts anyway

So, following this logic, when I get in my car drunk, and hit and kill someone, why punish me further and have me pay damages or be charged by law? It was just an accident. Granted I made the choice to get in the car drunk, but she also made the choice to sit and use a computer she was not supposed to be using and eat ice cream at the same time.

Or how about this one. I'm playing with gasoline and matches outside your house for whatever reason, when accidentally I spill some on your house. It then ignites the whole place burning the house to the ground. You are without insurance and you lost everything you have. But why punish me further and make me responsible for it? I mean I learnt my lesson right? I surely won't play with gas and fire outside a house anymore. It may have been stupid, but just about as stupid as eating ice cream over a 2000 dollar computer.

Family member or not, people should be held responsible for their actions. If there is repairs that need to be done, what would be your suggestion? Have the guy pay for it all?

Personally I would hold her responsible for the cost but meet her half way on it just because she if family. But otherwise, she screwed up doing something she was not even supposed to be doing in the first place.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 09:16 AM

I might be willing to pay for your laptop if you'd trade me your sister for the weekend. Send pictures of the laptop and the sister.

In my other online role, I'm a 63-year old man pretending to be a 14-year old girl. snicker snicker snicker.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
I might be willing to pay for your laptop if you'd trade me your sister for the weekend. Send pictures of the laptop and the sister.

In my other online role, I'm a 63-year old man pretending to be a 14-year old girl. snicker snicker snicker.
This is wrong on so many levels...

Terrance
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

djjava
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 01:35 PM

My thoughts anyway

That is pretty dumb logic.

Making her pay out of her pocket further enhances the lesson learned.

Accident or not, the party @ fault pays the price.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Forum Links
Forum Rules