Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! I dropped my 17" Powerbook!

Help! I dropped my 17" Powerbook!
swimfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 07:34 PM

Here's the situation: I had my 17" Powerbook (only 3 months old) in a laptop bag. I was carrying the bag briefcase style about 11 inches off the ground. It slipped out of my hands in a parking lot and the bag dropped on the corner left back edge of the laptop bag. It wasn't even a foot off the ground when I dropped it, so I said a brief obscenity in a, "whew, that was a close one," tone. It wasn't until i brought the laptop out of the bag a day later that I saw in complete shock a huge dent on the corner of the laptop. The rounded edge was completely flattened and the aluminum around the power connector, modem connector and USB connector was crumpled up. This is nothing more than a bad cosmetic issue, but I purchased two extra years of Apple Care and I need to know if I have any problems with the laptop over the next 2 and a half years if Apple is gonna reject repairs due to this damage. I've heard a lot of problems with customers trying to get their Powerbooks fixed and being rejected due to what appears to be cosmetic abuse.

The big question for me is: Does anyone know of a way to fix the dents in their Aluminum Powerbooks? I could take the Powerbook apart and pound out the dent from the inside, but I'm sure that would void my warrenty. I love this notebook, and I just want it to look pretty again.

As a side note, I can't believe how easily this $3000 dollar laptop got damaged. There was all this talk about how sturdy the aluminum was supposed to be. My old Ti took much, much worse spills than this Powerbook and never got anything more than a small scratch. I would go so far to say that these Aluminum Powerbooks are probably some of the most fragile laptops ever created. I can't stress enough that it didn't even cross my mind that the Powerbook was damaged when I dropped it. It was inside a protective bag and dropped from such a small distance.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2004, 07:42 PM

well.. if it was plastic and had shattered would you have felt better?
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

swimfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2004, 07:45 PM

I can with 100% confidence tell you that it could have been a two year old 15 pound Toshiba Satellite and it would not have been damaged. The fall was so minor I still can't believe the damage that occured to the Powerbook.

iMan
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2004, 07:46 PM

Just call Apple and tell them there is a "regular" problem with, like the CD drive doesn't workt, and don't mention the dent & dropping it part. I did this with My TiBook when my brother dropped when he tripped on the stairs. And they fixed it no questions asked. I guess they thoguht maybe it happened in transit. I dunno, but it worked.
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by swimfan:

As a side note, I can't believe how easily this $3000 dollar laptop got damaged. There was all this talk about how sturdy the aluminum was supposed to be.
Bummer man, perhaps the ease of damage is due in part to the 17" mass. Its a lot heavier and it fell just right. As a comparison, I thought Titanium was a stronger alloy, if that's the case you have a weaker case and a heavier computer that has to factor into the equation also.

No matter it still bites.

Good Luck
Mike

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 12, 2004, 01:03 AM

Here's the situation: I had my 17" Powerbook (only 3 months old) in a laptop bag.
What kind of crappy laptop bag did you buy? Sounds like it had zero protection for your $3000. laptop.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 12, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by PeterKG:
What kind of crappy laptop bag did you buy? Sounds like it had zero protection for your $3000. laptop.
Good observation. A decent bag/sleeve should be able to take a fall of less than a foot. A few days ago, a trio of programmers saw me and my 17" Powerbook at Starbucks. They had all recently got 17" Powerbooks and wondered how my bag, a Timbuk2 XL Commute (the original one) with a Timbuk2 sleeve insert, held up. I put my Powerbook in the case, closed it, and dropped it twice from a foot off the ground. Everyone cringed except for me. Nothing protects like a half inch of dense foam. Were I using my other bag, a SpireUSA VoltXL, there would be no freaking way I would do that demo - suspension systems don't seem to protect as well.

We all spent some serious bucks on our rigs. A few more on a decent bag to protect our investment is a great idea.

swimfan, do you have any insurance, like Safeguard, renter's, or home owner's?
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 04:05 AM

you can replace the case parts that are damaged...
i know cause apple is getting me a nu lid after scraching mine while been serviced!!!

sk

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 05:06 AM

a cosmestic repair will run you around $600 and is not covered. and yes, you most likely will be turned away in the future for problems due to your "cosmetic" issues...

about complaining how easy it is to damage your computer.. well... YEA... just like how easy it is to scratch a car... pay attention.

what should you do? Call AppleCare, ask for a refund (most protection plans offer prorated refunds)... then, go to SafeWare or another insurance provider and insure your powerbook there.

BTW, how tall are you? you dropped in in a parking lot and it only fell 11 inches?

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2004, 06:26 AM

BTW, how tall are you? you dropped in in a parking lot and it only fell 11 inches? [/B]
He must be Minime from the commercial.

I'd fine out how much the entire bottom would cost OR take it to a certified tech and get some advice. Perhaps he can remove the bottom shell and let you take it to a metal shop. Do it right as to restore it's beauty and not void the warranty.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

stevec999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 11:08 AM

Well a few days ago I droped my wife's 12" PB and it fell about 4 inches. I didn't think much about it but when i pulled it out to use it the damage was amazing. It was in a paded bag and hit on the end wher the cd slot is. The case was bulged out near the latch (bottom case) and over the drive slot.

These things do seem to be really fragile. I know I have droped other laptops (IBM&Toshiba) much harder than this and had no damage.

THe good news is everything still works and I have bent things back as well as I can. We will just use it until it dies then figure out what to do than.

Is_907
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 11:15 AM

ouch man... that's painful =(

i have dropped my 12" PBook several times on the hardwood floors in my house and it's fine; however, i'm sure concrete is much harder.

i'd look into a new bag, if i were you.
(i have a simple laptop bag from the GAP... it was $2 on sale a couple years back )

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 11:56 AM

I use Tom Bihn's Monolith hardshell bag and I put it in my backpack. Used it for years and banged my bag around a lot without any problem. You need a hard case to protect the laptop - I never really understood the point of all these soft cases that can't handle impact. Traeger also makes an excellent hard case but it's slightly small for the new powerbooks. It's of better quality than the Tom Bihn one though...

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 12, 2004, 12:18 PM

As a side note, I can't believe how easily this $3000 dollar laptop got damaged. There was all this talk about how sturdy the aluminum was supposed to be. My old Ti took much, much worse spills than this Powerbook and never got anything more than a small scratch. I would go so far to say that these Aluminum Powerbooks are probably some of the most fragile laptops ever created. I can't stress enough that it didn't even cross my mind that the Powerbook was damaged when I dropped it. It was inside a protective bag and dropped from such a small distance.
Aluminum is better than plastic. Those would have dented and/or cracked, too. Titanium was great but it didn't take to paint well and caused wireless reception problems.

Sounds like your bag wasn't very protective if it was a short drop.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 12:49 PM

If I were a superhero my name would be "Overprotective Man". My 12" is in a sportfolio II sleeve, then I put it in my downloader backpack I got from ebags. The beauty of this combo is not only twice the thickness, but the backpack also cradles the laptop about an inch or two from the bottom of the backpack, I could drop this thing off a building and not worry about it .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2004, 12:59 PM

What's the name of that insurance company that insures computers again damage and theft?
I thik I'm gonna get it to cover my Powerbook.

I found it, Safeware.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2004, 09:22 PM

hmm, i did about the same thing to my 15 a few days ago and yes they seem to dent fairly easily and then buldge out from the corner. mine was a refurb so I am not as concerned.

Buran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 09:56 PM

... a huge dent on the corner of the laptop. The rounded edge was completely flattened and the aluminum around the power connector, modem connector and USB connector was crumpled up.
Why don't you go to this page and purchase a replacement part if you would rather not send it back to Apple?

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al+_cs

I've purchased various items through them before and they do come through very quickly.
If you go to Za'ha'dum, you will die...

RobertHammen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 10:31 PM

Had my 17" in my WWDC 2003 bag (the one Apple gave us at the show). As I was leaning forward to put my 17 in the back seat of my car (I always put it behind the driver's seat - black car, black leather interior, black bag = not too visible to potential thieves), my bag slid off my shoulder and fell a little more than a foot to the blacktop.

The corner just to the right of the SuperDrive (form the perspective of sitting in front of the screen) was dinked pretty good and bowed out. The top case had actually pushed into the plastic surround. I was able to gently massage that back. Everything has and continues to work fine.

I eventually (after a couple of months) took the machine apart (it's not too difficult as long as you have the right jeweler's screwdriver) and pushed the metal out. It's not perfect, but it barely bulges out from the side at all (hairline). The corner's not 100% but it looks pretty decent. I doubt Apple would reject any claim based upon the small visible damage.

If you're really concerned about it, as someone posted earlier, PBParts.com has the bottom case for $300...

--Robert

mangacool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 10:39 PM

Apple does have a flat-rate repair service for, I think, $329. It may include repairs like cosmetic damage. Call and ask.

tisoncam
Mar 12, 2004, 11:19 PM

I did the same thing with my 12" PB. If you want to be absolutely sure that you can still get AppleCare take the laptop to an Apple Service Provider and have them check to make sure everything works inside. This is what I did and I have been assured that my AppleCare is still good because all my internal components still work.

zEnderz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 11:20 PM

Let me speak for a moment about Apples warranty coverage. Since it seems that so many people with bad experiences often post, I thought that I would share a positive one.

I have a 12" G4 powerbook. Im lucky enough to have an Apple store in my area (Cleveland OH). and I have had 3 issues with this Powerbook (10 months old this month).

#1 The rubber feet fell off. I took this to the Apple store and, with no questions asked, they put new feet on in about 10 minutes. The new feet seem to be attached much better, they are still here 6 months later.

#2. The power supply died. I brought this to the Apple store as well (this was last weekend). They looked up my serial number in the database, and could not find it. They tried this a couple of times, and truthfully it took longer than I would have liked to wait, but in the end they said "we cant find your powerbook in our system, the serial number doesnt match anything we have on file"... Ok so now what. Well, without knowing when it was made, or when I bought it, they asked me if it was still under warranty - I said yes. They gave me a new powersupply, no further questions asked.

#3. The replacement powersupply did not have a grounded cable, the new power supply caused my speakers to 'hum" when connected. Again I went to the Apple store, and they gave me a grounded cable - no questions asked. No more speaker hum.

I have been nothing but pleased with my experience with the Apple store. When they couldnt find me in the system THEY TRUSTED ME. I cant tell you how much that means. Im sure some people might betray that trust, and lie about a powerbook being under warranty - but Apple admited their fault (my SN not being on file and their faulty power supply) and trusted my answer. Alot of companies would not do this period. KUDOS to Apple, this is how customer service should be.

I pay more for product like Apples, I expect superior service. I was not dissapointed. When it is time for a desktop to replace my current one (a Compaq) I will not hesitate for a minute to consider an Apple model.

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 12:12 AM

Somehow I dented the corner of my AL 15" PBG4. I don't know how, probably due to a less than stellar bag. Well, my clumsy self smashed my PB into a table and then dropped it 18" onto the carpet. This was enough to cause the Airport card to become dislodged and killing the computer. Apple repaired it free of charge.

Lesson 1: Apple has great customer service.
Lesson 2: Don't let me handle fine China or babies

bugs
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 12:56 AM

I have an Airstream trailer with a lovely aluminum skin. After buying it, I discovered from other owners that the skin is precious. Any dings and it is ruined. The only acceptable fix is to remove hundreds of rivets and replace the entire damaged panel.

My next RV will be a more durable, but less attractive plastic. I hope Apple will consider a nice plastic too- maybe carbon-fiber for future laptops.

My TiBook is very attractive, but like my Airstream it is subject to ugly and expensive dings.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2004, 04:11 AM

I know from experience how fragile the aluminum is. A couple months ago, I was visiting home from university so I had my 12 inch powerbook on the couch with me while watching TV. I set the notebook on the floor and proceeded to go to the kitchen for some food. One of my cats jumped up on the coffee table knocking a pair of child's scissors off the coffee table and onto my pbook. These are safety scissors with no sharp edges. I thought absolutely nothing of it, I mean the fall was about a foot and the scissors probably don't weigh more than the average plastic writing bic pen. Sure enough though, when I picked it up off the floor to use it again, a nice new dent about the size of a dime on the right wrist pad. I am not upset about it, but it was quite unbelievable to me that a piece of light plastic could cause that much damage.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 04:14 AM

NO BAG is able to handle impact from any height. You need a fully-cushioned CASE such as the ZERO Halliburton or Pelican.

Plastic does not shatter under the same stress, because it is more resilient.

Rigidity + impact = permanent deformation.
Flexibility + impact = temporary deformation and instant restoration in original shape.

The new aluminum units are the WEAKEST (or the most easily bent out of shape) PowerBooks ever made. If you don't use a Pelican or ZERO Halliburton case, you will find out very soon.

No one can beat or alter the physics or nature of materials.

Just remember that stronger material does not mean it's less likely to become damaged.
( Last edited by Paul Huang; Mar 13, 2004 at 04:47 AM. )

pelorus
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by Paul Huang:
The new aluminum units are the WEAKEST PowerBooks ever made.
Uh-huh, right.

I see damaged powerbooks every week in work. The Mac user comes in, puts the powerbook case and moans about a dent or whatever. We take it, we fix it and they go away happy. Mac users are the fussiest about the appearance of their computers

Compare this to the PC laptops we get in. They seldom arrive in a bag. They usually arrive in a tray. Because their construction is plastics around a metal frame (like the old Powerbooks). When the metal frame doesn't flex like it should, the plastics get completely out of whack.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 04:57 AM

Perhaps the NHTSA or Consumer Reports should consider doing a crash test for all portables. I am sure the aluminum PowerBooks would rank the very bottom.

At least the titanium has carbon-fiber around the base to fortify the flimsy base. There is absolutely no "unitized" welding between the top cap and the bottom "bathtub" construction. The only things holding them together are a few screws and plastic clips. The plastic clips don't contribute to strength at all--they merely hold the top in place.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 05:59 AM

I'm amazed there hasn't been more mention of Insurance

There are large companies, you can find them in the Yellow Pages under 'Insurance', who offer something called an 'insurance policy'

The 'insurance policy' will pay any expenses you might have for lost or damaged items. in return you have to pay a 'premium' for this insurance.
To prevent people claiming for things like broken pencils the policy includes an 'excess'.
This means you pay a nominal part of the reair or replacement costs......

Joking aside, an accidental damage policy as part of your home cover is essential if you own anything of value that is easily damaged. mine covers me for $1200AU$ an item.
I don't need more as my ibook is not worth much over that, however if I owned a top of the line laptop or anything else I could itemise it for about $100AU$ a year and even if I do something stupid like diving in a river, fogetting that I am carrying a 17" G4 in my backpack I would be out of pocket by no more than my excess of $100 per incident.

My policy also covers my home contents against fire and theft and costs me about $50AU$ a month

I'm sure you have similar home policies wherever you are too

ejdejong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 06:37 AM

i love my 12"powerbook and when i got it
i knew i had to be careful ,the first sign was the
anodized surface this type can only be op-taint
by using a softer aluminum kind
i know this because as an engineer i make a lot of
aluminum parts witch are then anodized
and in this case the aluminum body of my powerbook shows no direction of the direction
the plate was made (rolling) and i concluded that
a softer kind was used
also the corners of the powerbook are nice and round it would take me some work to make something like this
to get the dent out of the body first you need a big
hart -then u have to strip the powerbook until u can reach the insite of the corner
place the corner of the powerbook on a soft wood
(pine) surface witch can be chapped in the form of a corner if needed then press on the in site whit a
pice of wood and use a hammer if needed .
but if the dent is cosmetic i can not recommend it
you have to disced if it worth the risk
my 12" is warped and shell has a gap above the
usb port and in the front above the battery
but it does not affect the working of the powerbook
(yet) so i live whit it but don't like it
"apple has to test there products ikea stile "
until then buy a good though bag like a
crumpler base toucher which lets u hang you laptop in site the back pack and uses neoprene for
chock absorbing and is weasel proof

Xapplimatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 06:47 AM

My 12" Aluminum Rev.A Powerbook took an 18 inch dive naked (and open!) off my bed, hitting on the edge, doing a tumble. I thought for sure the screen would be broken or the case dented.. Neither happened.. It's in one piece, and all I had to due was fix the mangled power cord plug that was knocked out when it fell.. Pretty tough in my book.
{=-Xapplimatic-=}

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 07:37 AM

Please replace the word "tough" with "lucky".

It's not structual integrity. It's just luck.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2004, 08:19 AM

I carry my AL 15" in my brenthaven bag always, recently I took it out and found that the AL was bulging just above the release latch for the lid. I remember it falling over one time but never hitting hard the are no other marks on it what so everit was in the bag at the time, I can only think that when holding it one time the chassis twisted and that was the result ?????? - I'm waiting for an answer from apple if they'll repair it under warranty??
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2004, 09:33 AM

Aluminum is soft. Look it up. If the powerbook was some other harder metal, oh, say... titanium. It would fare batter.

Plastic breaks, metal dents. It's the law.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

meem
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 11:22 AM

Just curious, if the machine is working fine with the dent, can he go to the Apple store and ask them to do the apple hardware test on it right then and there. Have it documented in his apple care acount notes. And be satisfied that if something else happens it would be unrelated to the fall?

JBracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 11:29 AM

Well, I've had both a 15" Ti and a 17" Al, and the case on the Al is much better.

I've dropped both of them and the titanium actually tore instead of bending. The Aluminum just has a small dent. Even though Titanium is a harder metal this doesn't make it better. You have to consider the stress level each metal can stand before tearing - aluminum is much more flexible than titanium. I'd rather have a dent than a tear any day.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2004, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Aluminum is soft. Look it up. If the powerbook was some other harder metal, oh, say... titanium. It would fare batter.

Plastic breaks, metal dents. It's the law.
Yeah, right. But plastic doesn't break from a 11 inch drop.
Otherwise, my iBook would be dead by now.

After reading all this, I'm reconsidering my next purchase.
So far, I favored the 15" PB, but maybe, I should stick to iBooks, especially if they really come out with the new 14" screen with higher resolution...

-t

GeneShifter
Mar 13, 2004, 11:39 AM

All this is why I thought, initially, that using aluminum was a big mistake. I'm like others on these boards in that I prefer my laptop to not pop and make noise when I pick it up by a corner like my old Dell did. So, it is a trade-off for having a stylish laptop over the durability of plastic-case laptops like my old Dell. I dropped that thing many times, no problems. My 12"Al PB, though, would have died already.
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 03:32 PM

> aluminum is much more flexible than titanium.

The gauge of aluminum used in the PowerBooks is easily 6 times thicker than the titanium _foil_. Foil of any kind is more flexible than the same material in a heavier gauge.

Plastic can withstand more abuse before finally breaking.

The aluminum RIM is unsupported (where it joins the top lid), so that is the weakest part. The Ti foil is surounded by the ring of carbon-fiber frame, so it takes bumps a bit better, but not much.

raejae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 03:40 PM

Wow... I'm reading this entire thread in disbelief. Either this is just a VERY vocal minority or I'm just really lucky.

I have a 1st-gen 12" Powerbook. I will be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a klutz, but what happens when I'm around my Powerbook just stymies me. The thing has taken so many drops, spills, and falls that I am amazed that it even works anymore... sometimes it's in my little 12" Brenthaven bag (that I got for my old iBook before that), and sometimes it's just out in the open. It's fallen off of chairs, my bed, and even a desk (twice!). Aside from a couple of scratches in the brushed metal finish, THERE IS NO NOTICEABLE DAMAGE. No dents, no bends, nothing.

Just thought I'd report on the other end of the spectrum.

And yes, i do have the thing insured.

//edit: Also, the floor of my dorm room is plain old concrete.

swimfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 03:49 PM

i started this post yesterday to find out if i'm in the same boat as other powerbook users and after a few replies basically saying that i am stupid for not having a better laptop bag, i get some posts from other users having found themselves in similar situations. these ARE the coolest looking laptops ever made, but i will never buy another laptop from Apple that is made of this material or something similar. there is the scissor story and the guy that dropped his laptop in it's bag from his car and both were, like me, in shock to the amount of damage incurred. i've said it before, but i cannot stress how minor this drop was. i have since measured the distance from the bottom of my latop bag to the ground when i am holding it briefcase style and it is actually 10 inches. (and no, i'm not a midget. think about the posts before you decide to make fun of someone. i'm 6' tall.) 10 inches!! i'm saying all this for the people reading these posts wondering how "sturdy" these laptops really are. THEY ARE NOT STURDY. they look amazing, they are super fast and have a lot more options than the iBooks, but if you are at all worried about your clumsy-ness, do not buy an AL Powerbook.

Doesn't it seem like Apple Care would cover accidental damage considering the price you pay for it. It's like an extended warranty at Circuit City. Circuit City will replace anything if it is under an extended warranty.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2004, 04:06 PM

I'm sorry man, but anyone that drops (no pun intended) 2-3k for a laptop, and buys some freakin' kid's bag/backpack, etc. to carry it in better be damn careful with it.
I bought a hard case (Zero-Halliburton) for ~$250 and wouldn't carry it in anything else.
It also sounds as if you had other incidents with your TiBook - you think ya woulda learned from that?
Anyway, sorry you fugged-up your 'Book, but to blame Apple is INSANE. Take responsibility and learn something - BUY A GOOD CASE FOR YOUR LAPTOP!
http://www.zerohalliburton.com/ZH/Si...t.aspx?pgid=77
BTW, this case fits the 15" nicely, but the 17" fits like it was made for it!

SB
( Last edited by slboett; Mar 13, 2004 at 04:12 PM. )

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 06:24 PM

Here are the facts:

The weakest linear area is the sliver of aluminum just above the DVD slot. The lateral supporting points/areas are just less than 1/4" on both ends of the slot. There is no verticalsupport whatsoever. Where the top merges with the plastic edge is nothing more than plastic clips which flimsily hold the unit together.

The lid is stronger in the 12.1" than the 15.2" or 17", just because it is small and has more torsional strength. Even then, it is still weak.

The corners (where X, Y, and Z axes joing) are the strongest points, because anay impact is being supported by X, Y, and Z axes. As a result, the impact is likely to be absorbed.

We will see more of the DVD slot damage over time. even 5 oz of pressure is enough to deform the slot. So, keep all objects away from the sides of the PowerBook. We are not talking about cosmetic damages; we are dealing with potential disabling deformities. I have worked on two cases this week. There will be more.

Stop defending a poorly-designed product and insure it if you can. Reality is reality.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
I'm sorry man, but anyone that drops (no pun intended) 2-3k for a laptop, and buys some freakin' kid's bag/backpack, etc. to carry it in better be damn careful with it.
I bought a hard case (Zero-Halliburton) for ~$250 and wouldn't carry it in anything else.
It also sounds as if you had other incidents with your TiBook - you think ya woulda learned from that?
Anyway, sorry you fugged-up your 'Book, but to blame Apple is INSANE. Take responsibility and learn something - BUY A GOOD CASE FOR YOUR LAPTOP!
http://www.zerohalliburton.com/ZH/Si...t.aspx?pgid=77
BTW, this case fits the 15" nicely, but the 17" fits like it was made for it!

SB

I store mine in a Brenthaven Backpack (w/ sleeve). I got price shock when I was shopping for a bag but then thought: Wait a sec....I just spent over 2500 on a laptop. 59.00 is not going to cut it.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

timchiu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 09:13 PM

you can go to here and buy the part
http://www.dttservice.com/applepowerbook/pbg4.shtml

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2004, 10:33 PM

I dropped my original Powerbook, a G3 Wallstreet. It landed on the rear corner on a carpeted floor from two feet and this damaged the power jack. So much for the older plastic Powerbook being more robust than the Aluminum design. Apple took care of it within a week. Spilled water on the keyboard and got a replacement keyboard installed for less than $100.

My second Powerbook, a G4 Titanium, was thrown off a shelf (little kid) with the display open. It was not damaged. That machine only suffered minor paint blemishes. It seemed to feel like the strongest laptop I have ever handled.

Had an iBook for a little while, and somehow I did not drop it. They seemed quite sturdy.

My third Powerbook, my current 17", was dropped once while it my last sleeve case, onto the pavement from about one foot. It landed on the optical drive corner. A little dent, no more. It has also been banged around quite a bit. It still works like it did when it was new. The only problem I have had with it is it won't eject certain disks without tilting the machine. To me, this minor issue is not worth sending in to Apple.

Overall, I would say Powerbooks are very sturdy machines. There will always be engineering sacrifices to manufacture a 1 inch thin Powerbook that can do all the things a Powerbook 17" can do! I am more amazed at this product every day.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mrgaskell
Senior User
Mar 13, 2004, 11:31 PM

"At least the titanium has carbon-fiber around the base to fortify the flimsy base."

Whatever! I pulled my old TiBook out of case i had it in (the $150 one at the Apple Store). It slipped out of my hand, dropped MAYBE a foot on its back corner by the power cable. Slight dent on the case, SHATTERED the carbon bezel 3cm up from the power cable and around the corner. The bezel also cracked all along the backside of the TiBook. Needless to say I was heartbroken, mad at myself, and curious why the carbon shattered so easily.

"Yeah, right. But plastic doesn't break from a 11 inch drop. Otherwise, my iBook would be dead by now."

The iBooks have a polycarbonate shell (used in bulletproof vests) and a magnesium frame. They are made for 8th graders! Very sturdy machines.

jg
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

vixenmcshit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 12:10 AM

someone mentioned home insurance? A year or so ago someone (niceperson) dropped my 15' TiBook at a gig a good 3 feet onto a v hard floor (no case!) and the robust shell cracked all around the bottom and on the edge, I think "non titanium", corners. The dvd drive was stuffed but the rest of the damage was cosmetic but alarming...
Anyway I was naughty and claimed that I did it at home and my insurance forked out for a new bottom and DVD drive, all up about a grand's worth ie damn expensive and a 3rd the cost of the machine. Alls well since then.
If you have good home insurance maybe try them? They'll have to have verification from an Apple repairer on cost etc.
Hope this helps

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 08:37 AM

or you guys could just stop dropping your ****...

i bet you wouldn't let your girl hit the deck from 2 feet head first....

but then how many of you BOYS have girls or have seen 'em up close in real life like......

sk

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 08:56 AM

That's uncalled for. your comment has nothing to do with the discussion and no redeeming value. Accident's happen.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules