Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help Requested: Writing a Professional Goals Statement

Help Requested: Writing a Professional Goals Statement
AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 05:27 PM

Hello All knowing MacNNers,

I am applying to a grad program and they want a statement of professional goals.

For one, I have only a vague notion as to what this means and secondly, everything I have written just doesnt sound right.

Anyone ever done this before or have any tips on what works?

Thanks in advance.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 06:05 PM

I just finished mine- though it took 3 completely different versions before I actually got it. Here's the approach I took:

My goal- what I want to do
My Means- The degree from the school
My History- what brought to this point and this decision
My dilemma- events that have led to this degree as the solution
My Choice- Why this school/program is the right fit
Our offerings- concludes everything with what the school and I bring to the table

It was 2 pages 10 pt. type. Maybe wordy, but I think I got my point across

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 07:24 PM

KeriVit: Great format.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
KeriVit: Great format.
Hopefully they think so too...

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 09:20 PM

Through my chosen graduate program, I would like to increase my knowledge in the field of advanced theoretical mathematics, this will allow us to develop powerful methods and technics to quickly identify environmental agents that cause reproductive defects in prehistoric theropods.
-\
-/

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:

It was 2 pages 10 pt. type. Maybe wordy, but I think I got my point across
Whoa. Of course I haven't read your document, but just from reading your post that strikes me as overkill. What I personally like to see:

1. A two second statement, giving a condensed idea of what you personally are all about. This also shows that you've actually thought about your goals, rather than trying to impress me by volume. We call this a 'revolving door pitch'. The idea is to imagine that you're going for a job interview at, say, Apple and you're in a revolving door with Steve Jobs. You've got two seconds to make a statement that ensures that he doesn't forget you.

2. A slightly longer 15 second 'elevator pitch'. Here you go into slightly more detail, giving me a more rounded picture of who you are and what you want to achieve.

3. A one page, maximum, pitch on why you deserve to be part of the course.

This is what I personally use:

1. Two seconds revolving door pitch

"What you say is more important than how you say it."

2. 30 seconds elevator pitch:

"I studied art because I tend to think in pictures. I went into advertising because I am fascinated by communication. I became a Creative Director because I enjoy giving shape to ideas, events and people.

I developed boardroom presence at Y&R and entrepreneurial spirit working with a start-up. I understand the intricacies of creating, maintaining and guarding a brand. I know that the only constant in communication is change. I don't just want to manage that change, I enjoy driving it."

Of course your mileage may vary. I am a Creative Director, so you will have to adapt the above to your own needs and industry. The other alternative is of course to disregard everything I've said as the ramblings of a madman.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Whoa. Of course I haven't read your document, but just from reading your post that strikes me as overkill.

This is what I personally use:

1. Two seconds revolving door pitch

"What you say is more important than how you say it."

2. 30 seconds elevator pitch:

"I studied art because I tend to think in pictures. I went into advertising because I am fascinated by communication. I became a Creative Director because I enjoy giving shape to ideas, events and people.

I developed boardroom presence at Y&R and entrepreneurial spirit working with a start-up. I understand the intricacies of creating, maintaining and guarding a brand. I know that the only constant in communication is change. I don't just want to manage that change, I enjoy driving it."

Of course your mileage may vary. I am a Creative Director, so you will have to adapt the above to your own needs and industry. The other alternative is of course to disregard everything I've said as the ramblings of a madman.
I agree mine is probably long (though they did ask for a two page essay). And I also agree with your approach, which is part of reason I broke mine up the way I did. If they skip any of it or browse- it still holds itself together. That way, it can satisfy both types of people on the commitee... those who want to know more about you and those those want you to get to the point.

So perhaps a combination of your approach and mine would work?

BTW- I'm an art director- wonder what AO4 does...?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 11:54 PM

sugar_coated: Yeah, like we would believe that.

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
I just finished mine- though it took 3 completely different versions before I actually got it. Here's the approach I took:
Thanks for the response KeriVit.

That looks to be the same format I have down. Unfortunately I have to put all that in 2 pages double spaced.

Its cold and wet out, so hopefully I can make some progress today.

Thanks again. It helps to have an outside point of view.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by AppleOptionFour:
Thanks for the response KeriVit.

That looks to be the same format I have down. Unfortunately I have to put all that in 2 pages double spaced.

Its cold and wet out, so hopefully I can make some progress today.

Thanks again. It helps to have an outside point of view.
Well, then- we can't both be wrong, can we? Good luck!

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by sugar_coated:
...advanced theoretical mathematics, ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules