Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Grad School Application ---> Complete! (Always better with JPEGs)

Grad School Application ---> Complete! (Always better with JPEGs)
AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 04:24 PM

Holy Crap I am nervous and excited at the same time. Anyone else gone through this? They said I'll know in 5-6 weeks. AHHHHH! Let's hope/pray for the best.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 04:27 PM

Congratulations, and good luck.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 04:29 PM

I was so nervous. It took so long to find out if I was accepted. Big relief when I got the news though.
Good luck!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 04:57 PM

Good for you! I'm stuck on trying to get my portfolio photographed. I may end up doing it myself.

Good luck- let us know!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 04:59 PM

Congrats and GOOD LUCK

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Good for you! I'm stuck on trying to get my portfolio photographed. I may end up doing it myself.

Good luck- let us know!
Thanks Keri also for helping me out with the structure of my personal statement. I didn't use the exact same one, but similar elements.

Getting another point of view is crucial to a good project.

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000, anthonyvthc, mitchell_pgh :
good luck.
Thanks for the support.

I guess while we're here, feel free to post scans/pics of your acceptance letters, diplomas, and certifications also.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 07:49 PM

Will do. And you too- cuz you WILL get what you want!!!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2005, 08:16 PM

I got my Associates of General Studies a few months ago. I graduated "with distinction" (over 3.5GPA). Now I'm going for 2 bachlors degrees, one in CS and one in Government & Politics (IR is my focus).
Good luck on your school. I might go to grad school afterwards, but not sure. Depends on what I want to do with my life.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 12:27 AM

Just went through the whole process and (thankfully) got in everywhere I applied. Now it's time to go deeper into debt.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 01:05 AM

Ew. Looks like a PeopleSoft interface.

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Ew. Looks like a PeopleSoft interface.
You mean the school's web interface?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by AppleOptionFour:
I'm planning to apply for an MFA in design at the School of Visual Arts next year. I'm a little worried that my stuff isn't up to par. I have a B.S. obviously not in design, but my focus has been visual, with art classes, and I've taken my design education seriously. Hopefully my portfolio reflects that.

Good luck.

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I'm planning to apply for an MFA in design at the School of Visual Arts next year. I'm a little worried that my stuff isn't up to par.
What about letters of recommendation. For me, I think those will be the kicker. I had two great ones. Of course I wasn't able to read them but I digress.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 12:11 PM

Yeah.. it gets a bit tense as the days go by, but everything is for the best. Take it easy as you wait for the answer. In my case, I ONLY applied to A&M ... so either they accepted me or I would do something else with my time. I got accepted and enjoyed being there 1.5 years.

The easy part is getting in.. the difficult part is finishing grad school

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 12:53 PM

You'll be nervous for quite a while (until you get the acceptance news), a bit later stressed (getting used to the new environment) and far later overwhelmed by work (pretty much from day two). Anyhow, you'll have lots of fun in the years ahead.

I plan to defend my Ph.D thesis on April 29.

Yeah, I know Apple releases Tiger and the University of Wisconsin gets rid of me....;-)
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 01:38 PM

What about letters of recommendation. For me, I think those will be the kicker. I had two great ones. Of course I wasn't able to read them but I digress.
I should be able to get some decent letters of recommendation. But being that I wasn't in an art program to begin with, they might not carry much weight. My courses were based in "Visual Technologies" but thats not really the same as design classes. More like exercises in Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

I'm thinking its going to have to be portfolio, and based on my letter of intent. From going to the open house, that seemed to be their main criteria.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 01:45 PM

Congrats, if that's your bag.

I'm one for getting into life ASAP (in other words, getting my B.A. in 3 hurried years including an 8-month internship w/ my future full-time employer). Screw this school thing, I want my paycheck and the ability to not have homework and to actually live.

Nonetheless, Godspeed
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AppleOptionFour  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Nonetheless, Godspeed
Thanks,

Is that a wolf knocking the [beep] out of a Tarheel? Sweet.

jersey
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I should be able to get some decent letters of recommendation. But being that I wasn't in an art program to begin with, they might not carry much weight. My courses were based in "Visual Technologies" but thats not really the same as design classes. More like exercises in Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.

I'm thinking its going to have to be portfolio, and based on my letter of intent. From going to the open house, that seemed to be their main criteria.
I just finished my MFA on the east coast, and honestly, it's tough. Really tough.

I dont mean to frighten you, but let me offer you a bit of advice.

The portfolio review is an ugly situation, I sat in on incoming applicants work both years I was there. Usually faculty only want to review applicants work for 1 day, many travel too far to make it a 2 or 3 day ordeal. So if 900 people apply (which is about average) your work is on the screen about 2 seconds per slide. And usually, if they dont like the first 2 they flip on through the rest. Do not under any circumstance send work on dvd or cd-rom if it can at all be avoided. If it wont load, or the equipment is malfunctioning, they just move along. I saw it happen to several people. So yeah your portfolio must be strong, but more importantly show diversity, and show your are taking risks. Thats the biggest thing about grad school, it's a place to take risks, and if they think you're going to play it safe they wont want you.

If you make it past portfolio review the letters weigh in heavily. So make sure they are as good as possible. Most people will offer you a copy of the letter, if it is positive, and some will even allow you to have specific things put in it.

Another thing I highly recommend doing is visiting before they begin to review applications. Make your interest very clear, and come armed will intelligent and tough questions. And be prepared to answer the same. They dont want someone who cant talk the talk and walk the walk. 3 of the 12 accepted both of my years visited before applications were reviewed.

Dont worry so much about not having an art background. Believe it or not, you may have the upper hand on a few people specifically because you aren't coming from an art background. It's sounds odd, but it's true. If I recall correctly, 7 or so came from non art backgrounds.

So..... there you have it.

Good luck.

-j

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 06:40 PM

Yah. Looks like the PeopleSoft one we have here at KU that drives me nuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules