Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Urgent: Tiger Mail.app makeover

Urgent: Tiger Mail.app makeover
ambush
Banned
Apr 27, 2005, 01:23 PM

OMFG my eyes are burning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about yours...

we need to replace those icons A.S.A.P.... I only see a problem with the bloody toolbar icons... the rest is very sharp.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 01:45 PM

when i get 10.4, i'm going to want to change those asap too. it looks horrible.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 27, 2005, 02:00 PM

Looks more horrible in "real life" if you want my opinion...

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 02:07 PM

maybe in you could make a theme for it in themepark. thats all i can think of, until someone else makes something to change it.

esXXI
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
maybe in you could make a theme for it in themepark. thats all i can think of, until someone else makes something to change it.
You can change them on your own.. Just open Mail (right-click, open package contents) and replace the toolbar-icon backgrounds (I think they're called "TB_segments") with transparent ones.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 27, 2005, 03:42 PM

I think it looks much better. The title bar esp.

The widgets I could care less about.

CJM
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 04:14 PM

mail doesn't really bother me, it's mostly the brushed-metal finder i can't wait to "fix"

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 06:41 PM

I love the new mail.
Looks much cooler.

ender2002
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 07:07 PM

its cool. i really like the layout and the icons.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 27, 2005, 07:13 PM

Yeah I wish they would take all the Brushed Metal apps and make them look like mail.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 07:45 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to return the mail toolbar to use 32x32pixel icons for the top layer (make it deeper). I have seen various depth of toolbars in several apps and I wonder if it can be changed easily.

(I really want to go back to the old icons on the new toolbar)
David.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2005, 10:46 PM

I have an idea... this is exactly what I'm gonna do when I get the new Mail.app.

I'm gonna turn my toolbar into "text only" (which is ironically how I have my current Mail.app). Can anyone confirm that this will work in Tiger?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 27, 2005, 11:32 PM

And yes, it looks awesome.

I would love for all my windows to look as slick and modern.

This is the way to go Apple.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 01:05 AM

Oh man! That's slick. Actually I do kind of like the new icons. Their function is a little clearer (reminds me of the buttons on an audio cassette player), might keep it in Icon Only mode (it occurred to me now that I never even bothered to change Mail's icons from their default�I usually like Icon Only, as long as they're not all so similar looking).

Now if only the Finder could take up a similar appearance...
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 06:26 AM

I hated the buttons until i started using them... now i really like them
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 28, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire

Please post again and tell us how you love it. Because 3 times really isn't enough.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2005, 12:33 PM

Does anyone know if you can make the toolbar completly blank? Can you go into Customize toolbar and remove all the icons?... would that be slick?

CJM
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire

this only works if you don't use the search button on the toolbar. if you click it while in text only mode, it switches everything back to "text and icon" and you have to manually change it back.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
this only works if you don't use the search button on the toolbar. if you click it while in text only mode, it switches everything back to "text and icon" and you have to manually change it back.
I don't see that happen in Panther, are you saying this is a Tiger behaviour ?
And what if you'd hit Cmd-F instead of clicking anything at all ?

CJM
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrit Vanoppen
I don't see that happen in Panther, are you saying this is a Tiger behaviour ?
And what if you'd hit Cmd-F instead of clicking anything at all ?

yes this is happening for me in tiger. cmd-f works fine, because it brings up a separate search dialog.

plamparello
Apr 28, 2005, 08:51 PM

Have you guys heard of this program yet:

Cage Fighter

Phil
plamparello

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 05:57 AM

Yes, cage fighter does some great stuff, however mouse-over effect is not there and even though it looks waaaaaaaay better there are few things I'd love to do.

I have installed it and it looked as promised on the website, then I have removed the ugly unified look and restored the Panther title bar. I just can't take my eyes of it !

But I'd love either mouse-over on these icons or the old set of icons from Panther, with mouse-over, of course. Any ideas ?

Oh, by the way, I have included the inbox icon from Thunderbird, just done it quickly and haven't set transparent shadow so there is a bit of a white pixelling (love the word) below icon in the above picture.

Adolf W. Bush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 09:40 AM

So, Shapeshifter is out in a couple of days, what about Themepark? Any news on it?

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 01:44 PM

Tiger has so many GUI inconsistencies. WTF are Mail.app's buttons from? Aqua? Let's see, we have Mail.app's mystery icons, then there's the different color blue and style in the "normal" aqua icons, and finally there's the plastic flat look. Some windows use the flat plastic along with the bulbous aqua and some dont. We have metal, a smooth grey, the dashboard window with metal with holes in it (like the G5 cases), and the pinstripes in inactive windows. WTF????

Shapeshifter...help us!!!

ambush  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2005, 03:55 PM

Also, note that the Mail Delete toolbar icon IS aqua but the rest ISN'T... it's some kind of bland design...

weird, coming from Apple.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 06:39 PM

Wow...CageFighter did the trick! Woohoohoo...

SwissXDesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 10:46 PM

Speaking of Mail, does anyone know if it's possible to have the Entourage style 3 side-by-side panes in Tiger? I don't remember where from, but was able to download it for Panther from somewhere by exchanging the .nib files.

With Apple displays all being widescreen you'd think they'd have that as standard view or at least as an option...

m a r k . h u s e r

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 11:54 PM

I don't like it all.

The lifeless little butt ugly icons look like they were stolen from some Redmond product. (Maybe apple is trying to make windoze switchers feel at home.)

I installed Cage Fighter, which helped do away with the obnoxious looking capsules, but the icons still suck.

So to solve this I've switched to toolbar text only, which cleans things up nicely.

My other gripe is with the Mailbox drawer. The pale baby blue background color is another annoying Redmond like touch. Whereas before I left it open for ready access to move and retrieve emails in and out of appropriate folders, as well as for the ability to quickly pick it out from behind other open applications due to its inherent different edge size, now I leave it hidden. Shift-cmd-m has become my new friend. And my mailbox drawer was on the left, which I can't change now.

I suppose I'll get used to it but I liked it the way it was before this queer make-over. Ugh!

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 09:23 AM

What I don't like is that my window title says "Inbox (6730 messages, 2 unread)" when in the good old days it just said "In (2 unread)." It's disconcerting and harder to notice change at-a-glance.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by mr. natural
I don't like it all.

My other gripe is with the Mailbox drawer. The pale baby blue background color is another annoying Redmond like touch. Whereas before I left it open for ready access to move and retrieve emails in and out of appropriate folders, as well as for the ability to quickly pick it out from behind other open applications due to its inherent different edge size, now I leave it hidden. Shift-cmd-m has become my new friend. And my mailbox drawer was on the left, which I can't change now.

I suppose I'll get used to it but I liked it the way it was before this queer make-over. Ugh!
It can't really bother you this much, can it? It's obvious that the it's more functional for you to have the mail drawer open, so why would you close it and re-open it as needed with a hotkey? in protest?

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Stelex
[...] , then I have removed the ugly unified look and restored the Panther title bar. I just can't take my eyes of it ! [...]
May I ask how you switched to the Panter-title-bar?

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by p.h..i...l....
You'll need to have Xcode Tools installed on your computer 9comes on your tiger DVD)

Rightclick your Mail Icon in Applications folder and select Show Package Contents.

Open Contents folder, then open Resources folder, find English.Iproj and open it too.

Doubleclick on MessageViewer.nib, then select Tools / Show inspector. In inspector untick Unified title/toolbar look. Save the file close everything and reopen mail. Enjoy !

by the way, for brushed metal fans, you can have mail 2 with brushed metal interface, just instead unticking unified look tick has texture instead.

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 05:03 AM

Great, thanks a lot!

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 03:46 PM

Posted by Stelex
by the way, for brushed metal fans, you can have mail 2 with brushed metal interface, just instead unticking unified look tick has texture instead.
The only problem I found with this is two fold:

1) The window resizing triangle doesn't stay fixed in the corner and falls partially into the message pane so that when you scroll the message a small section of the triangle scrolls too.

2) In order not to have this occur you need to adjust the message pane so that the brushed metal surrounds it like so:

If anyone knows how to make the BM change to the title/toolbar only while affixing the window resizing triangle into the corner so that it doesn't hang up in the message pane that would be nice.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Stelex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by p.h..i...l....

I have put a few tips together here I hope it helps

aaroncs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 07:52 PM

Looks like the Mail.app engineers wanted it to be easy to turn off the nasty toolbar button mode. If you go into the Mail.app package to /Contents/Resources/ and open all the .toolbar files, you'll see a bunch of lines that say "segmented = 1;". Just change them to "segmented = 0;" and you can get rid of all the segments. This is better than the Cage Fighter hack because that doesn't let you use icons taller than around 24 pixels, but this lets you use the old panther Mail.app icons. This approach breaks those weird multi button toolbar items like the multi button reply-replyall-forward thing, but you can just use the individual buttons that are available for reply replyall and forward. The result looks like this:

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 08:12 PM

arroncs: what you did looks great!

Could you please explain, step by step, how you managed to change the icons,etc.

I think I see the .toolbar files, listed as: "Contents/Resources/TB_AddressBook.tiff" etc., but did you use Interface Builder to change the segment as described?

And then how did you import the old Panther icons?

Much appreciated if you have the time to explain.

aaroncs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 08:35 PM

When I said toolbar files I meant four particular files in the Mail.app/Contents/Resources/. These are:

ComposeNewOrDraftTiger.toolbar
MessageViewerTiger.toolbar
ComposeReplyOrForwardTiger.toolbar
TornOffViewerTiger.toolbar

Edit those files to change the "segmented = 1;" lines to "segmented = 0;".

Swapping in the old panther icons was a manual process. I took all the old icons out of the panther Mail.app Resources folder and replaced all the Tiger Mail icons named TB_Something.tiff by finding the best match from the panther icons, renaming it to the right TB_Something.tiff name and replacing the Tiger icon.

If you want to hack Mail.app the way I did, you can just use the files at http://www.xtypa.com/ext/macnn/mymailicons.zip. Decompress the archive and drag all the files into Mail.app/Contents/Resources/. Of course you should make a backup copy of Mail.app first in case you want to go back to the original.

pxlshftr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 09:18 PM

THANKS. That is a sweet set up you hooked us up with!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 09:36 PM

ACE! Thanks.

Does anyone get a crash when selecting "Customise toolbar" in the new mail window. I went through and changed all the multiple buttons (the segmented ones) back to 1 and it is now fixed.
David.

aaroncs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 09:46 PM

Yeah, there are some buttons that break stuff if you set them to "segmented = 0;". The whole hack is pretty precarious but if you get it working (not crashing) with the setup you like, it looks nice and works nice. I find that once I set the toolbar the way I want it, I never change it.

The right solution to this whole mess is for Apple to admit that they screwed up and change the toolbar back to full sized icons, not because it looks better, but because different shaped buttons are faster to identify and click. Word is that the whole thing was hotly debated inside Apple, and given the universally negative reaction on the internets, there's some hope that it'll get fixed.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 09:54 PM

seems rock solid once you dont change the multi button buttons.... Words....

Its not the fact that they made them like they were (They were very hard to tell apart) but the fact that they bore no relation to the similar type buttons used in System Prefs, Dictionary and Help Viewer (which all look great). I wouldn't have minded if they had done the icons safari style although I wouldn't have liked to have been the person who had to come up with the black and white icons for all the options!
David.

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 3, 2005, 10:51 PM

WORD UP aaron!

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 11:03 PM

aaroncs:

Thanks so much!

I switched out the file/icons with your set and everything is a lot sweeter now.

The only glitch, for me, is that the TB_FontBigger.tiff (as well as the the 'smaller' one) doesn't show up in the customize pane. Any ideas?

Of course I can always just shift/command/+.

Also, Mail does crash while in the "new message" pane and I try to "customize" that set-up.

This is all while Cage Fighter is still installed, so maybe that's a part of it. I'll fiddle around some more and see what happens. BTW, i'm not using the Brushed Metal look, but the stock Tiger 'plastic' title/toolbar look.

But thanks again, and you're right, Apple messed this up and we can only hope they'll give us back what I consider the better/old icon set.

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 3, 2005, 11:21 PM

Yeah new message crashed...

here's what I did.
Open the new message .toolbar document
replace every segmented = 0 to segmented = 1
then I set the toolbar in mail.app to show only text.

it works...

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 03:40 AM

^^you only need to do that for the multi segment buttons. That fixes the crash
| |
David.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 08:22 AM

Cool! Now all I have to do is dig out the old icons from somewhere.
This is fairly complex though, perhaps whoever made the Cage Fighter app can make an 'improved' version?

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 4, 2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
Cool! Now all I have to do is dig out the old icons from somewhere.
This is fairly complex though, perhaps whoever made the Cage Fighter app can make an 'improved' version?
Someone provided a link in this thread....

Could someone give me (jolivierld AT gmail DOTTTTT com) their Message Composer Window .toolbar? I think I fubared mine very badly.

Thanks.

MacScott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 11:23 AM

Has anyone figured out how to move the mail boxes to the right side and also get rid of that ANNOYING blue fill colour?

thanks for the tips on fixing those annoying icons!

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 01:19 PM

I heard that Theme Park/Shapeshifter may be able to do it once Thempark 2.1 is out.

Maybe mistaken.

I am not sure what colour I would want the side panel-pale grey maybe

It might be possible to move the sidebar in the .nibs-I can't remember just now what there was but it would be tricky I think. Looks very custom. It is consistent with the Finder, iTunes, iPhoto etc just now. Maybe a little over designed for left to right languages.
David.

Forum Links
Forum Rules