Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Corrupted invisible disk images taking up HD space

Corrupted invisible disk images taking up HD space
macdummy
Jun 1, 2006, 02:58 AM

Ok i've got a weird issue here. My buddy made a disk image and copied it onto my ipod. I went home and attempted to copy the disk image onto my desktop. I knew something was off because after i released my mouse button to complete the file copy, I received a message saying that "the item 'blahblah.dmg' contains one or more busy items that cannot be changed. i clicked 'continute' and waited until the file transfer was complete. the progress bar definitely filled to the end and i even heard the task complete sound. the problem is there is no disk image.

i knew something was up so i recopied it again onto my desktop. same thing, end result was no disk image. the problem is i am now missing 6 gigs of storage because the files apparently copied over but i can't locate the files. i have spotlighted the file name and restarted the computer with no luck.
any ideas as to how i can get rid of the two files that are obviously taking up HD space but are invisible to the system?

macdummy  (op)
Jun 1, 2006, 01:32 PM

another weird thing that i forgot to mention was that when i deleted the disc image off of my ipod, it just vanished and freed up space immediately on my ipod. i didn't even have to empty the trash.

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2006, 08:07 AM

open the terminal and type: sudo find / -name '*your_disk_image_name*'
you must then enter your user password. replace your_disk_image_name with your disk image name ;-)! note, that the entered name is case sensitive.
if you'll find something, you can type "cd folder_name" to change to the folder which contains your image and type "ls -lah" to list all files. if you'll see your disk image type "open ." to open the folder containing the image in the finder or "open image_name" to open the image directly.

cheers ecyras

macdummy  (op)
Jun 4, 2006, 03:31 PM

hey thanks for that! unfortunately i have since deleted the disk image from my ipod and i don't know what the original name is at the moment. i'll have to ask my friend when i go back to work. i really appreciate your help, hopefully i'll follow up with a success message!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 07:08 PM

If the disk image was a .dmg, you could actually use sudo find / -name *.dmg

This command will find every .dmg file on your hard drive. If it was an ISO, replace *.dmg with *.iso

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules