Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook keyboard problem

Macbook keyboard problem
rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 09:12 PM

So I got a new Macbook today (white 2.0 GHz), and the keyboard goes blinky 5 minutes out of the box. Whenever the machine has been on for a few minutes, the machine starts acting as if the CTRL key is being held down. The CTRL key on the keyboard is not stuck, and I considered maybe there was some dust stuck under the key, on the sensor, but no amount of blowing will fix it.

In any case, I don't have the patience to mess with the thing. I'll take the Macbook to the Apple Store tomorrow and have them replace it. It's sad, though. The specimen I got was otherwise perfect. It idled at 47 degrees C, didn't have any whine, and didn't have a single dead pixel. It's a beautiful machine, too, IMHO the most beautiful one Apple makes.

Ironically enough, I'm 0 for 2 with Apple keyboards. First my PowerMac G5 comes with a spanish language keyboard, and now this. Apple should start paying their designers a bit less, and their QA people a bit more...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2006, 09:15 PM

Look at the upside, since you're not using the keyboard, your palmrests won't turn a nasty shade of yellow.

Aykew
Jun 13, 2006, 10:58 AM

If you can stand the wait, I'm sure you could insist of Apple fixing yours instead of replacing it. Sounds like a real keeper!

rhashem  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2006, 01:47 PM

Well, it's a devious little SOB.

I went to the Apple store today, after checking before I left the house that the keyboard was indeed still wonky. When I get there, the people in the store can't reproduce the problem. I noticed it was absolutely freezing in the store, so my Macbook hardly got warm, so I decided to try and heat it up. With one of the Apple store employees looking over my shoulder, I tried running XBench and playing an HD video. After awhile, I got a couple of instances of weird behavior, with a left-click turned into a CTRL-click, but so sporadic that I couldn't show them anything concrete.

Well, as soon as I get home, boom, the keyboard wonks out within minutes. I'm tempted to chalk this up as another heat related issue, since keeping the thing cold seems to prevent the problem.

Of course, now that I've got it acting wonky, I've got to figure out how to get it to the Apple store without turning it off or closing it during transportation. I suppose I'll look a bit weird walking t hrough the mall with an open macbook in one hand and its box in the other, but alas...

TacoBallZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2006, 06:12 PM

I had an issue with the keyboard arrow keys. It wasn't heat related, just a bad click response, maybe the key contact pad was misaligned. Anyways, Applestore took mine in and swapped it out with a new one. They also transferred my HDD over to the new one so I wouldn't have to install bootcamp and my other mac apps all over again.
Just keep persisting. I'm sure you'll have a new MB in no time.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2006, 06:26 PM

Maybe you can make a video of the problem, and then show the guys at the Apple Store that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules