Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Apple display has arrived!

New Apple display has arrived!
Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 01:41 PM

It's here. The new Apple 24" LED Cinema Display.

Will go on sale in November for $899.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 01:50 PM

Ugh. Glass. Looks like I'll be buying an old ACD sooner than I expected.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

cms
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 02:46 PM

Can someone tell me if I can use this new display with anything other than one of the new Apple laptops released today? Apple hasn't refreshed it's displays for more than 4 years and I'd very much like to have one of these on my desktop. Perhaps I'm missing something but I can't (quite) see how this is possible. Did I miss a cable option or something?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 02:58 PM

Not sure, maybe with a displayport adapter to DVI or VGA? The apple pages do say its only compatible with the new displayport laptops though.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

cms
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Not sure, maybe with a displayport adapter to DVI or VGA? The apple pages do say its only compatible with the new displayport laptops though.
If this is indeed the case, then I am really disappointed. What about the tower users? Do we not also want newly designed displays with built-in iSight, etc.? Rather short-sighted of Apple, I'd say.....

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 03:04 PM

Website clearly states: "The new LED Cinema Display will require a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the new Mini DisplayPort."

So this display isn't meant for my MacPro. That sux.
Why would they create a display just for the portables?
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

cms
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Website clearly states: "The new LED Cinema Display will require a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the new Mini DisplayPort."

Yes, I saw that. But found it hard to accept that Apple would effectively limit sales of its new display to people buying the new laptops. Seems daft to me. There must be HUGE pent-up demand for new displays from existing Apple users. It is surely very stupid indeed to lock these people out, and make them stick with a design that's looking distinctly tired and desperately in need of a refresh.

stwf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 03:14 PM

Maybe the answer is in my question... Where is a new 30"???
There must be one coming as the new port and styling as well as the new LCD backlight make the 30" currently well outdated.
So I'm guessing/hoping that the new 30" Cinema Display will come out alongside the new Mac Towers / minitowers. I'd also bet at that time an adaptor will come out for older gen machines to use the new monitors.

moosedesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 04:08 PM

I am in the same boat and hoping for a never-before-seen mini displayport to DVI adapter. Fingers crossed, otherwise this is a massive massive disappointment.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 04:22 PM

That's why they're keeping the old 23" around. Eventually the iMac and MP will also get Display Port.

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 06:31 PM

I hope that these will come out as a 20" also. I would love to combine it with a new Macbook.
I never liked how I had to get my Power Adaptor when I left with my Macbook. With these you can just leave the power adaptor in the bag, and plug the Macbook in the display when you're at home. I think its a great combination.

plamparello
Oct 14, 2008, 06:34 PM

The new displays have a speakers in them now. Could these be used to supplement the poor macbook audio?

Basically, I see the mag safe, USB and display cord, will the USB carry sound so the display speakers can be used instead of the notebook speakers?
plamparello

AppleGirl1990
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 08:01 PM

I agree with the an earlier post. It is my belief the the following will occur:
Apple will not come out with new monitors for current MacPro users. This is the only monitor we will see. Instead, new MacPro's and iMacs will have the min-display port for video built in.

So everyone who purchased a computer before today got screwed. Eventually, I'm sure someone will release an adapter, but i personally hate adapters.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Darkfire26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 09:31 PM

Apple has an adaptor.
MDP-DVI, MDP-Dual-Link DVI, and MDP-VGA.
At least apple is making things a bit more consistant.
I do like the speaker option, the MB sound is sad sometimes.
Will they be the sae speakers as in the iMac?

sibellc
Oct 14, 2008, 10:40 PM

Let's just count our blessings that they didn't decide to do some sort of ADC redux by incorporating the power/usb/video in one cable. Actually, that might be kind of cool... power the display from a MacPro/Mini/iMac or power a Macbook/Pro/Air from the display.

I sure hope the Magsafe on this thing is a far sight better than the bricks for the laptops. I'd hate to be buying a new display every 6 months when the cable frays at the connector...

nikstar101
Oct 15, 2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Darkfire26 View Post
Apple has an adaptor.
MDP-DVI, MDP-Dual-Link DVI, and MDP-VGA.
At least apple is making things a bit more consistant.
I do like the speaker option, the MB sound is sad sometimes.
Will they be the sae speakers as in the iMac?
Yeah but if you want to use the display with a Mac Pro you will need a DVI to MDP not MDP to DVI.

cms
Senior User
Oct 15, 2008, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Yeah but if you want to use the display with a Mac Pro you will need a DVI to MDP not MDP to DVI.
Indeed.

What was Apple thinking? Really disappointing that I can't use this new display with my MacPro, bought less than 9 months ago...

ampm99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 12:56 PM

I wonder if the real issue is greed in a shrinking market? A 17 inch Macbook would not be as much revenue as a 15 inch new Macbook pro plus the 24 inch display. They delayed the 17 inch laptop for "technical" issues. What BS! - Product marketing idiots are just trying to micro manage demand in a huge economic down turn. They would have been much better off with Apple's old philosophy - Put out the very best technology ahead of the competition. When was the last time Apple did that?
( Last edited by ampm99; Oct 15, 2008 at 04:45 PM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
Assuming that such a thing is even possible. The Wikipedia page for DisplayPort says that the interfaces aren't signal-compatible, but that the DisplayPort can pass through DVI signals. So a likely scenario is that a) the new display won't accept DVI signal and b) no existing Mac Pro video card outputs DisplayPort signal through a DVI port, so an adapter would either not work, or be damned expensive.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 02:17 AM

Are the marketing idiots taking over?

Hopefully not, and Apple will come out with a new pro line.

Let the 24" be an external for laptops to watch movies, play games, etc.

But for serious screen work we need serious displays.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by plamparello View Post
Basically, I see the mag safe, USB and display cord, will the USB carry sound so the display speakers can be used instead of the notebook speakers?
No. It's the MDP that carries the sound. That's the beauty of it. This small port carries digital video and audio.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by sibellc View Post
I sure hope the Magsafe on this thing is a far sight better than the bricks for the laptops. I'd hate to be buying a new display every 6 months when the cable frays at the connector...
It's the L-shaped MagSafe plug we've already seen on the MBA. That should remove a fair amount of stress on the MagSafe plug.

ampm99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post

Amen to that. My 30inch is still working well from my macpro but I can't drive it from my 17 inch laptop. I was excited about the new Nvidia chip until they delayed the 17 inch and messed with the adapter.

I'm a professional photographer . Today , my work flow is to use Lightroom/PS3 on my laptop in the field and then export/import the project to my macpro to finish processing and see the image on my 30 inch. Good for backup but slow when I am on deadline and I really need to see full-size quality images on my monitor.

That's why it was a disappointing laptop/display announcement for me.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ampm99 View Post
Amen to that. My 30inch is still working well from my macpro but I can't drive it from my 17 inch laptop. I was excited about the new Nvidia chip until they delayed the 17 inch and messed with the adapter.

I'm a professional photographer . Today , my work flow is to use Lightroom/PS3 on my laptop in the field and then export/import the project to my macpro to finish processing and see the image on my 30 inch. Good for backup but slow when I am on deadline and I really need to see full-size quality images on my monitor.

That's why it was a disappointing laptop/display announcement for me.
As the "old" cinema displays are still available there is hope that the new display is not a replacement, but an addition.

Just loved the design of the older displays better, too. But I can see that a silver frame can possibly be distracting the eye from accurate color and contrast judgement in low key images.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
No. It's the MDP that carries the sound. That's the beauty of it. This small port carries digital video and audio.
Looks like a new version of the abandoned all-in-one connector, which reduces cables. Very good for laptops.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 03:04 AM

As the "old" cinema displays are still available there is hope that the new display is not a replacement, but an addition.
I'm expecting Apple to drop the 20" and release a new 30" with DisplayPort.

I wonder what will happen with the 24" though. The new MPs and most DP PCs will have regular DP, not MDP. Will Apple offer a DP->MDP adapter for the new 24" or will they actually have two versions of the 24"? The required change is small since it's just the cable and plug that need to be adapted, but still that must be more expensive than selling just one 24" screen.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 08:41 AM

I wonder how long until this display becomes advertised as an iPod peripheral. It got speakers, a built-in iSight and mic… one can guess it would also make a good iPhone companion… put your iPhone over the desk, just talk and watch to the display to whom you are talking to, makes sense, huh??. Given that DisplayPort is coming to all the Apple range, it has some great potential way beyond… iChat; no way Apple is delivering all that stuff just for a chat app, they want you to buy one to attach to the AppleTV, the iPod and even the iPhone… cause once you have the DisplayPort 'linked' to the iPod&iPhone ecosystem, you have that 'industry standard' dubbed by Apple… time will tell.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2008, 01:46 AM

I'm expecting Apple to drop the 20" and release a new 30" with DisplayPort.

I wonder what will happen with the 24" though. The new MPs and most DP PCs will have regular DP, not MDP. Will Apple offer a DP->MDP adapter for the new 24" or will they actually have two versions of the 24"? The required change is small since it's just the cable and plug that need to be adapted, but still that must be more expensive than selling just one 24" screen.
The silver cinema displays have been taken off the Apple Store page.

(wasn't the silver cinema display a 23"?)

So that's it for the moment: a mass market 24". Maybe the 30" will be the pro model. Otherwise, it'll be Eizo nor NEC, bye bye cinema displays (many said they were overpriced anyway. But, still, I'd have at least considered them).

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 02:52 AM

The silver cinema displays have been taken off the Apple Store page.
Nope. They're still all available here. And on every other international store I checked.
Mac Peripherals > Displays

(wasn't the silver cinema display a 23"?)
Yes. The resolution is the same: 1920x1200. For some reason most other vendors chose 24" panels with that resolution. No idea why. Anyway, I guess there are more 24" panels now and they're probably cheaper too.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 10:47 AM

Eventually, I'm sure someone will release an adapter, but i personally hate adapters.
Why would an adapter make any difference when your computer is completely stationary?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 08:50 PM

There will never be a DVI to MDP adapter. There will be MDP to DVI/HDMI so that you can use older displays with your MB, MBP, and MBA. However you will never be able to drive a new Apple display with and older DVI or HDMI port.

Give Apple some time and a new video card with MDPs on it will be sold (probably in updated Mac Pros) so one can use the new displays.

I dislike that Apple does keep changing the video ports, but that it what happens when you try to be on the cutting edge of technology. Ever since the beginning late 90s, Apple seems to change its video ports like underwear. For a long time it was 15-pin sub-Ds (that the PC industry never used), then finally the industry standard VGA port (known as an HD-15 officially), then the ACD (Apple Cinema Display) Port with integrated power, then DVI (which I thought was here to stay) and now the Mini-Display Port.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

marclapierre13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2008, 12:03 AM

They look great. Price is still a little high, but its a gorgeous display for sure

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
There will never be a DVI to MDP adapter. There will be MDP to DVI/HDMI so that you can use older displays with your MB, MBP, and MBA. However you will never be able to drive a new Apple display with and older DVI or HDMI port.
So are you saying you have confirmation that the new display will not be able to run off the pass-though DVI signal that is part of the DP specs?

If that's indeed the case it means no previous Mac will be able to use the new displays. An exception might be if new MP graphics cards (with MDP/DP) run in older MPs.
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 19, 2008 at 03:23 AM. )

ballison
Oct 19, 2008, 07:24 AM

That's why they're keeping the old 23" around. Eventually the iMac and MP will also get Display Port.
unless you have a source to back that up, dont make things up please

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ballison View Post
unless you have a source to back that up, dont make things up please
The source is Apple itself.

The 23" is still in sale at every Apple store I checked including the US store. And Steve clearly said at the Ot 14 that they are moving everything over to DP. There is no room left for interpretation here. The only remaining unknown is when.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2008, 08:02 PM

Nope. They're still all available here. And on every other international store I checked.
Mac Peripherals > Displays

Yes. The resolution is the same: 1920x1200. For some reason most other vendors chose 24" panels with that resolution. No idea why. Anyway, I guess there are more 24" panels now and they're probably cheaper too.
They are still there, but no longer on the front page, with pictures to click on that would connect you to the cinema display page.

Now you have to click displays, and then they show up, together with cables and accessories, and then you can click on their image.

Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2008, 08:35 PM

I was told both by an Apple rep and by a reponse from [email protected] that there WOULD be DVI > MDP adapters available. And the current Cinema Displays will stick around, at least until DVI-port-only Macs are a couple generations old.

Forum Links
Forum Rules