Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Previous gen MB vs new one?

Previous gen MB vs new one?
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2008, 06:37 AM

(Note this question a just about the MBs non-pro)
I love the new aluminium case but I need firewire, so my question is, how much better is the new MB performance wise versus the previous model?

I'm not a gamer but I like doing video and photo editing (just iMovie and iPhoto)

My local Apple store has the previous models in stock for one day and then they get sent back so I have to decided today.

Any opinions? Is the previous model too 'old tech' now - bear in mind I am using a 1.25GHz eMac....

TIA

OreoCookie
Oct 15, 2008, 06:52 AM

No, not at all, the previous-gen MacBook is still plenty fast and a huge upgrade to your eMac. Have a look at refurb machines, too, especially the higher-end models with faster cpus. Hope that helps.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 07:03 AM

the new $999 macbook white still has firewire so you may not have to decide today.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
the new $999 macbook white still has firewire so you may not have to decide today.
Are you sure?...I asked the store online chat and they said no - I was quite specific about it being the white model. I could not find that info on the Apple site hence that is why I asked.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2008, 07:11 AM

Gooser might be assuming because its the older form factor that it must have the FW port. I'm not sure one way or the other but you could pop over to local apple store if one is local and find out first hand.
~Mike

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 07:14 AM

http://www.apple.com/macbook/white/

look at the picture and click on tech specs.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 07:15 AM

It's the exact same one as the old one. They didn't update it. ie. It IS the old one, just at a lower price.

Anyways, for CPU-dependent work, the white is actually faster than the new aluminum MacBook.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2008, 07:29 AM

Oh good, the UK site does not make it as easy it find that page (for me at least) - so thanks for the heads up everyone.

Will

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 07:31 AM

i had trouble finding that page also.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2008, 07:41 AM

By the way it's vice-versa not wise versus.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by applesbiggestfan View Post
By the way it's vice-versa not wise versus.
ho ho!

(unless you mean it, in which case maybe I need a comma and/or dash, '...performance-wise, versus.....')

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2008, 12:08 PM

Just saw the white Macbook, it does have firewire.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I finally ordered a 2.4GHz refurb from Apple after trying to get one from the Kingston Store. The staff said they would sell me one on the phone in the morning and when I went in later said it was too late in the day and all their 'old' stock was ready to 'go back'?.....
John Lewis had them and suggested I reserve one and wait for a price drop. JL were chargin £30 less you get a 2 year warranty but I wanted a deal.
The next day Apple had refurbs for £659 online so I jumped. I am now looking forwards to an up to date-ish machine.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2008, 11:50 AM

Let me know how your Macbook is. I saw the refurb too (really good price), but hesitated too long and now it's all gone.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by molala View Post
Let me know how your Macbook is. I saw the refurb too (really good price), but hesitated too long and now it's all gone.
Will do - I reckon there will be more refurbs in time as a few people who have bought them just before the update return them to get the latest model - there was someone in the store doing that with a macbook pro he had bought less than 2 weeks ago.
Also keep an eye on John Lewis - if they bring them down to say £700 - I would suggest the extra £40 is worth it for the 2 year warranty.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2008, 05:02 PM

Well, it arrived today and I'm getting used to it, even though I used to have an iBook.
Nice to have something more up to date, faster and Leopard.

Generally happy with it - the full stop key seems a bit intermittent - a bit of a pain when typing in urls and email addresses. The mouse button needs to be pressed in the centre - a friend of mine says his machine is like this as well.

I have ordered 4GB RAM from crucial as it is so cheap compared to what I last paid for memory. Just downloading all the apps I like to have.

I would recommend it if you can get a good deal.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2008, 05:14 PM

Actually only for integer operations the white is slightly faster than the Al MB (<0.5%). For everything else the Al is faster. For anything concerning graphics by a huge margin I might add.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/...-october-2008/
http://www.macworld.com/article/1362...tml?lsrc=top_1

You get the white MB if you need FW or if you want cheap. If you are interested in performance and/or longevity you should definitely get an Al MB.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Will C View Post
Well, it arrived today and I'm getting used to it, even though I used to have an iBook.
Nice to have something more up to date, faster and Leopard.

Generally happy with it - the full stop key seems a bit intermittent - a bit of a pain when typing in urls and email addresses. The mouse button needs to be pressed in the centre - a friend of mine says his machine is like this as well.

I have ordered 4GB RAM from crucial as it is so cheap compared to what I last paid for memory. Just downloading all the apps I like to have.

I would recommend it if you can get a good deal.
Thanks for the update! I'll certainly get a refurb now if Apple gets stock again. I went to John Lewis yesterday but they had not dropped their prices yet. Amazon UK also has not dropped their price, but I don't think they will before they get stock of the Alu books on 29 Oct.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2008, 12:47 PM

My refurb 2.4 white Macbook just arrived, everything works ok. But the case is not perfect, it's slightly raised on the left side above the ports, it's not too bad but two other white Macbooks at work do not have this problem. I'll observe it for a few more days, it's a tiny gap - if it doesn't get worse I'm ok with it.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 04:01 AM

Great! - having used mine for a week or so now, I am happy with it. My top panel - the pale grey one - is slightly raised on the front left but it is only slight - maybe this is why it was a refurb?
My RAM arrived a couple of days ago but I have not had a chance to fit it yet - looking forwards to doing that today.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2008, 07:08 PM

I returned mine after ordering another refurb - black Macbook which is £699, much happier with this and it's worth the extra £40 for the extra HD space (I really couldn't decide between black or white otherwise). The top panel is perfect (so far) on this one. I have a squishy trackpad button but I use a Wacom tablet anyway instead of it. Really good service from Apple UK. After calling them to set up the return, they had TNT phone me and pick up the Macbook the next day. I expect to get a full refund.

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2008, 11:35 PM

Sounds good - I think I would go for that if it comes up when I see it, but then I will probably get a new HD for a FW case I have so capacity is not too much of an issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules