Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best speakers for Titanium

Best speakers for Titanium
satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2001, 05:05 PM

Has anyone tried the iSub with Soundsticks with their Titanium?

Any suggestions on the best audio setup for the Ti?

Are the Apple Pro speakers okay for general playback? And what sub could you combine those with?

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2001, 05:43 PM

well, i'm a pismo user but I swear by those Soundsticks. The quality is so good that some of my pc friends have bought soundsticks for their wintel machines. One even converted his machine to Linux because it had better support for the soundsticks than Windows. Not exactly a mac convert but I'm working on it ... he does drool over the pictures of the Ti.

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 11:06 PM

The Soundsticks are sweet. It was the first peripheral I bought when I got my Ti in Feb.

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 11:43 PM

I'll have to add my vote for the soundsticks as well. I've got a set hooked up to my G4 tower and they sound great.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by doctre:
<STRONG>I'll have to add my vote for the soundsticks as well. I've got a set hooked up to my G4 tower and they sound great.</STRONG>
Soundsticks ! Look awesome next to the apple pro keyboard and mouse, sound even better than they look.

Ben.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2001, 04:26 AM

Another vote for the Soundsticks. It's the one thing I've kept while switching Macs all year.

They won't shake the pictures off your wall, but they do sound (and look) incredible.

I love mine.

satchmo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by doctre:
<STRONG>I'll have to add my vote for the soundsticks as well. I've got a set hooked up to my G4 tower and they sound great.</STRONG>

While I recognize your endorsement of the Soundsticks, I was specifically interested for use with the Ti Powerbook.

Perhaps there is no difference but is there anyone who actually has it in use with their Ti?

Jayzlie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 10:56 AM

Personlly, I swear by the Klipsch ProMedi series. I've got the 2.1 setup hooked to my Ti and my G4 867, nd they couldn't sound better, they really couldn't. IMHO, they sound much better than the soundsticks, they're THX certified, and they're $20 cheaper Hope this helps.
Jay

satchmo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Jayzlie:
<STRONG>Personlly, I swear by the Klipsch ProMedi series. I've got the 2.1 setup hooked to my Ti and my G4 867, nd they couldn't sound better, they really couldn't. IMHO, they sound much better than the soundsticks, they're THX certified, and they're $20 cheaper Hope this helps.</STRONG>
I have no doubt that they sound great. Probably better than the Soundsticks/iSub combo or Apple's Pro Speakers.

That said, I'm not sold on the design of them especially if they're going to be next to my Ti. They seem a bit on the heavy side in comparison to the previously mentioned speakers.
Yeah I know, am I going to be listening to them or looking at them?
But it's just a personal thing that they should compliment the look of the Powerbook.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 03:02 PM

go for the soundsticks if you want looks... but the klipsch promedia's 2.1s will kill the soundsticks in sound quality... ive had both and i will never again buy anything but klipsch...
Phang

olli_g
Nov 1, 2001, 04:17 PM

AND another vote for the SoundSticks. But I have to clear some things up:

SoundSticks/iSub Combo ist NOT possible. When you buy the SoundSticks, you'll get 2 Sticks for your desk and a subwoofer for under your desk.
This subwoofer does LOOK like the iSub, but it's NOT. It's technically different. You will only be able to use the iSub with the iMac or with PowerMacs (and with PowerMacs only in conjunction with the Pro Speakers) that come with an integrated amplifier (instead of the audio in port). These PowerMacs are also the only computers that you can use the Pro Speakers with (because of this amplifier).

Sounds complicated, I know, but I can make things simple: just buy the SoundSticks, and you won't want anything else

Greets

olli_g

Cobra Commander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2001, 10:21 PM

Here's another vote for the Klipsch Promedias, they kick Soundstick @$$! As for their design, they look better than most computer speakers but you won't care cause they SOUND that good!

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2001, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
<STRONG>

While I recognize your endorsement of the Soundsticks, I was specifically interested for use with the Ti Powerbook.

Perhaps there is no difference but is there anyone who actually has it in use with their Ti?</STRONG>
Yerrrrrss !!!! Dammit. I use them with a TiPB. The sound is so damned good, I just wish they were portable...

Ben.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2001, 12:32 AM

I have to cast my vote for the Klipsch speakers. Mine sound fabulous, and furthermore look quite sharp alongside my Lombard. You vain Ti-owners might need to look elsewhere (and sacrifice fidelity) if you want matching colors.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2001, 02:33 AM

I think that the SoundSticks would probably be the better choice for pure "wow" factor if people visit your place a lot, but then again, if you're talking quality, I would definitely go for the Klipsch ProMedia series, as they sound exponentially better. They look like regular computer speakers, and really don't go well with the Ti's aesthetics, but they sound great.

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 03:40 AM

Buy a Yamaha Cavit RP-U200 external USB soundboard. Hook up two pairs of Klipsch SB-1 Bookshelf speakers and a KSW-10 subwoofer. Watch in amazement as your ears are blown off from your Titanium Powerbook.

Forget that you just spent $1350.

-- dio / out

satchmo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2001, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by olli_g:
<STRONG>AND another vote for the SoundSticks. But I have to clear some things up:

SoundSticks/iSub Combo ist NOT possible. When you buy the SoundSticks, you'll get 2 Sticks for your desk and a subwoofer for under your desk.
This subwoofer does LOOK like the iSub, but it's NOT. It's technically different. You will only be able to use the iSub with the iMac or with PowerMacs (and with PowerMacs only in conjunction with the Pro Speakers) that come with an integrated amplifier (instead of the audio in port). These PowerMacs are also the only computers that you can use the Pro Speakers with (because of this amplifier).

Sounds complicated, I know, but I can make things simple: just buy the SoundSticks, and you won't want anything else

Greets

olli_g</STRONG>
Sorry it does sound confusing. Would I be able to use the Soundsticks/subwoofer with the new Quicksilver towers?
It would be nice to be able to use them for something other than just my Ti.

<strategem9>
Nov 2, 2001, 01:37 PM

Well I just ordered a new Ti Book from maczone.com and it came with free speakers, I was expecting some cheap plastic ones, but they speakers they are giving away free with it are Benwin EX-4 3 peice flat pannel speakers, not to bad if you check out benwin.com, anyway as soon as I get everything set up I will let you know how they sound, now I just have to get a desk to put all of it on :-)

<olli_g>
Nov 3, 2001, 12:07 PM

Okay, here we go:

- Pro Speaker (two tiny speakers, look like to oranges ): Only to be used with PowerMacs, that came out in January 2001 or later, so to use them with the Quicksilver is possible.

- iSub (a subwoofer): Only to be used with iMacs Rev. D or later (the ones that have a slightly changed design than the original iMac) OR with PowerMacs that you can use the Pro Speakers with (if you buy the Pro Speakers I STRONGLY recommend you to buy the iSub)

- SoundSticks (two longish speakers and a subwoofer that looks like the iSub but is different): Can be used with EVERY Mac that has USB-Ports and Mac OS 9.0.4 or later. I used them on my PowerMac, and on my iBook and now on my new Titanium 667. Work with OS X 10.1 too.

Hope that helps.

Greets
olli_g

iGeoff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2001, 03:54 PM

here's a vote for the HK sound sticks. just got them at outpost.com for $160, and I'm very happy with them. They sound great, and they look unbelievable.
Ti-book 667
512MB RAM
30GB HD
Airport

<Strategem9>
Nov 3, 2001, 11:13 PM

Well the Benwin speakers came before my powerbook did and I am pretty impressed the sound is clean and the sub seems to work well, plus they will be a nice addition since they are titanium colored... anyway thought you may all want to check them out at benwin.com they are the EX-4

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2001, 01:08 AM

Uh oh, no votes yet for Boston Acoustics?

With the SoundSticks, you're paying for form. That's a lotta money to pay for good looks... but then again, we buy a lot of things based on design. We're mac users.

I bought Boston Acoustics BA635s upon recommendation from our own Cipher... ask him, for another glowing recommendation (and argument against USB speakers). These things rock. Small size, but they put out great sound. I bought them for $59.95US on Amazon (retails at $69 on the BA site). Talk about bang for your buck!

<rickey939>
Nov 5, 2001, 01:22 AM

I have the iSub/Sticks with my Titanium and they are wonderful. I might also mention that I indeed have the iSub and it does work with the Titanium PB G4 afterall...Apple said they wouldn't but after I plugged them in first time they work flawlessly. This was mentioned before in thie post and somebody said the iSub wouldn't work...not true at all.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2001, 02:57 AM

[edit - brain cramp...]

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2001, 05:59 AM

Two thumbs up for Soundsticks and the iSub variant. For use with a Ti, its a great looking combo. I've got a Soundsticks set hooked up to my iMac, and they look and sound great. (Actually, I dropped the iSub variant on the floor last week, and both the sub-woofer's and one of the Soundstick's cases cracked/shattered. )

As nice as the Soundsticks are though...forthe best sound, go for wooden cased speakers. I know its impractible... but the resonance of the wood gives (in a professional sense) the best acheivable 'artificial sound'.

...still though...Soundsticks are still pretty cool...and hooked up to a new 66 Ti... *sigh*

Play it cool

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: georgius ]
widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

agibbs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 02:49 PM

I'm currently using Monsoon 700s with my Ti and love them. It has a nice 9" cubic sub and two flat 4x7 satelites. Wonderful sound.
Ti 500/512/20

bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2001, 10:14 PM

Some of you may recall the analog age. I still have a component stereo system (complete with turntable for mechanical sound reproduction). Aanyway, It pumps out a few hunnerd watts of envigorating sound from any computer in the house. I'm not sure why the Ti would be different.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

ender2002
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 10:26 PM

I see what everyone else is talking about. The SoundSticks are good in quality and look fantastic, but I would check out monsoonpower.com. The 702 is great for 'book users because it won't occupy a USB port. It uses the headphone jack instead. But, they have a USB version (700) for people who want USB anyway. They are all flat panel with a volume remote and great subwoofer. They don't take up a lot of space and you get a lot more bang for your buck.

<webvandals>
Nov 5, 2001, 10:55 PM

As an audio engineer, I frankly think the SoundSticks look a whole bunch better than they sound. To me they sound quite unnatural and "plasticky". If you're really married to the idea of multimedia speakers instead of the old "plug into the stereo for superior results" method, then I'd say the Monsoons are among the best I've heard. But even they sound like really good mutimedia speakers as opposed to really good speakers. So my recommendation if you're using it to listen to music, is to go to Radio Shack, get a 1/8th inch stereo male to L and R RCA male phono plugs adapter (just minijack to stereo jacks), and plug the audio out of your Book into any line level inputs of your stereo (TAPE, CD, MD, VIDEO, anything but PHONO). Rock and Roll...

Forum Links
Forum Rules