Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who wants airport now then...?

Who wants airport now then...?
quomp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 09:03 PM

With the nice people at apple throwing in a airport card with my new baby I can't help but wonder if I should get a base station and go wireless.

Does anyone know if a cable modem or ADSL broadband connection suffers through airport - basically - can it handle the bandwidth or is the bottleneck the price you pay for the ease and portability?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2001, 09:05 PM

No. I get a full 4 megabits per second over AirPort with my @Home cable service. It's great.

quomp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 09:10 PM

Thankyoiu very much - now - does anyone know if an ENGLISH airport base and card will work using a USA roadrunner cable connection?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2001, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by quomp:
<STRONG>Thankyoiu very much - now - does anyone know if an ENGLISH airport base and card will work using a USA roadrunner cable connection?</STRONG>
Interesting question- who does the airwave frequency regulation for the UK?

Is it ETSI, like some other parts of Europe, or do you have your own regulatory body for frequencies? If I know which body handles the regulations, I can look up the specs and tell you.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

<no matter>
Oct 18, 2001, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by quomp:
<STRONG>Thankyoiu very much - now - does anyone know if an ENGLISH airport base and card will work using a USA roadrunner cable connection?</STRONG>
By English, you mean you guys on the wrong side of the ocean? Well, I can't imagine you'd have any problems with your English airport card or base station. Now, if it were French, then I'm sure you'd have all kinds of problems...

Hardware is hardware, and the wireless stuff uses standards to communicate. I wouldn't sweat it.

bugs
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 12:26 AM

Sounds great. Does anyone offer a compatible base station -- perhaps with more power, less cost, prettier or whatever? How about a base station/cable modem combo? (it's time I stopped renting this modem) How about a base station / modem combo that includes a year of @home and a free pizza? Sorry, I'm tired.
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

quomp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 12:30 AM

That's great.

Wirless for everyone!

Has anyone got a powerbook!?
I can't wait.

Forum Links
Forum Rules