Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5

IE 5
EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2000, 09:52 PM

I was just wondering when IE 5 is coming out. Is there any release date? Thanks for any info.

------------------

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2000, 02:35 AM

It should be out in about a week or two.

I would like to know when Netscape Communicator 5.0 will be out. Oops! I mean 6.0.

Barney
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2000, 02:52 AM

Don't be in such a rush for 5.0. I was at a Mac Users group tonight and talked to a very knowledgeable person who has the beta version.and she says it is still quite buggy. She suggested waiting until more bugs were worked out.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2000, 09:31 AM

netscape is like a dead animal in the woods... you can SMELL it, but you are not sure where it is!

and man, WHAT an ODOR!!

gene
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2000, 11:15 AM

Here are my thoughts. I have been playing with a late beta of IE 5.0. It is nice but it chokes on about 75% of frames. MS has been teling everybody how wonderful IE is going to be because they are going back to "the standard". Well, frames got lost somewhere.

NS 5.0 is a piece of junk. I have installed it many computers and had to delete it because it would't start (unless 20 minutes is not enough to start a Java app).

I will probably go to IE 5 if they fix all the bugs for the release. I am looking forward to the ability to track auctions and have proper display of encoding - things that I am interested in. I guess we'll have to see...

Macanoid
Mar 3, 2000, 01:27 PM

I always surprised at how few people have heard of OmniWeb. Just look here: http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniweb/. It's the best browser available for Max OS X (Server)!!
It's where Apple got the idea for Sherlock from

peep
Mar 3, 2000, 02:03 PM

I have used a number of IE 5 betas. It IS indeed buggy. Often it will not display images correctly. Image placement within a page is often wrong.
It DOES have great features.
Internet Scrapbook, GUI is nice,
you can change the control buttons to iMac Colors ! Blueberry, Tangerine, et.al.
Until it is cleaned up, I will continue to use my Navigator 4.08. Also folks, watch out with Outlook Express 5. I love it but it gets some funky errors.

Carlos
Mar 3, 2000, 02:09 PM

This url is for an article that looks at IE 5 vs Mozilla 5 in depth. It includes screenshots:
www.teamdraw.com/raul/rant/suggest/newkids.html

godale
Mar 3, 2000, 03:53 PM

I've been using a late beta of IE 5 (one shown at macworld) and i've barely used netscape since then.
it launches 3 times faster than netscape and renders pages much much more quickly. Cache works well, when you hit the back button, it does'nt take 2 minutes to go back, and it quits very fast also.

unlike netscape that takes very long to boot, draws pages slowly and takes too long to quit.

IE has crashed a couple of times on me, but not nearly as often as an IE 4 version, which was the worst browser out there, ever, but hey, it's still beta.

I'm looking forward to the final version, with bug fixes (some pages just don't render at all aka hotbot.com) but all in all, if netscape does'nt come with something good soon, it'll lose what's left of marketshare to IE, iCab and Opera.

gluboski
Mar 3, 2000, 05:33 PM

I've been using IE5 for a few weeks now, and the beta has been performing beautifully. It hasn't been buggy, it loads fast, frames and tables seem to look right nearly all of the time. This is with 5.0b1 (1731) on a beige g3 running OS 9.

The only problem I have had is that on three pages out of the past 300 or so, IE has displayed a frame improperly. In all of these problem, the information in the offending frame was displaced far off to the right and the window wouldn't scroll horizontally.

Just my 2 cents.

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2000, 07:47 PM

Is there a beta readily available somewhere? I'd like to give it a spin!

SilverHawk
Mar 3, 2000, 08:23 PM

I have been using IE5 beta 30 for about two weeks now and it has crashed about 30 times at least requiring a restart before i can use it again... If this is what you call stable you might want to think again

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2000, 11:08 PM

IE 5 does have some screwy problems with rendering HTML sometimes (the frames issue seems to have been cleared up for the most part with b32).

I wish iCab would get a move on... incorporate a few features from IE 5, add JavaScript, and it'll easily be the best browser for the Mac.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2000, 01:58 AM

I have pretty much abandoned Navigator for my beta (24?) of IE...kinda sad to admit it, but well there you go.

One ironic twist, though -- my copy crashes EVERY time I try to load the MSN home page.

AAPl Shareholder
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2000, 07:22 AM

I too have been using beta "1" of IE 5. And you know what... it works quite well after you trash all of your old MS gunk. It doesn't seem to support cascading style sheets in this older beta, however... that is minor, and I am sure it works now.

And as for Netscape. You kids should stop dogging its development and help out! Mozilla M14 just hit he streets a few days ago, and M15 nightly builds are ready to be downloaded.

M14 runs quite nicely, and M15 looks like it will be a winner too. Like many others, I use mozilla for my main browser now. All builds are pre-compiled.. so any idiot can run them, and send back bug reports.

Mozilla's final release is about 6months behind IE, however it is a much more revolutionary browser. Much of mozilla is highly customizable as well as platform independent. So that means cool skins, and easy frequent updates.

Download the alpha builds... it works great, and you'll be helping out al lot even if you just send in bug reports!
"Wait, these aren't my lamps. These lamps have feet. This must not be my apartment. I'd better get a new apartment."
-SpaceGhost

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2000, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by EmAn:
I was just wondering when IE 5 is coming out. Is there any release date? Thanks for any info.

Check out http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum2/HTML/000524.html

Alex

EmAn  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2000, 07:39 PM

Does anyone have the link to a page where I'd be able to download the beta version? Thanks.

-Eric
[email protected]

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2000, 11:50 PM

IE 5 betas aren't freely available for download, and I'd like to thank those of you who have a beta (whether legit or not) for not uploading it to some server and advertising the download link here...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2000, 07:14 AM

I have always found Netscape to be fine.... I use 4.7 without any problems (apart from java, which sux - turn it off!).

Forum Links
Forum Rules