Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which LCD to buy?

Which LCD to buy?
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2002, 02:05 PM

I'm getting a new Powermac in the next week and I was wondering what LCD I should get? I'm looking in the 17"-19" range most likely. Are the Apple Displays the best available? Is Apple going to release new displays soon after the promotion expires?

Thanks

KBerg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2002, 02:39 PM

http://www.epinions.com/Viewsonic_VX...nitors_VX900_1

We have one of these where I work, and it's really nice. Very bright with great contrast and is fairly cheap for its size; has DVI so it's still a digital interface.

I dislike the menu system on it, and it is SLOW to change resolutions, but aside from that I would buy one of these without hesitation had I the money

saltines17
Senior User
Sep 28, 2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by KBerg:
http://www.epinions.com/Viewsonic_VX...nitors_VX900_1

We have one of these where I work, and it's really nice. Very bright with great contrast and is fairly cheap for its size; has DVI so it's still a digital interface.

I dislike the menu system on it, and it is SLOW to change resolutions, but aside from that I would buy one of these without hesitation had I the money
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I don't know if it's just my specific model, but my VX900 ghosts SOOOOO much that I'm going to return it...

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2002, 05:19 PM

I've heard really good things about the Formac Studio displays, though I've never seen them in person.

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2002, 01:22 PM

Every Formac product I have purchased has broken within a year (not to mention a few DOA's). This includes their monitors.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Avon
Senior User
Oct 1, 2002, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
[B]I'm getting a new Powermac in the next week and I was wondering what LCD I should get?

If you are getting a new mac you will have an ADC and should simply get the apple 17". Its quite expensive, considering you can get a 17" LCD with a DVI input from tigerdirect or similar places for 500 bucks. Use pricewatch and find one there, I have seen them go for $700.00

You will be paying a $200.00 premium for the monitor but you will have an ADC monitor and it is quite slick. All other products are nasty compared to apple monitors.

I have an Sawtooth g4 with video card that has an DVI output. I purchased a dell 17" monitor with a DVI input and a VGA input. It was 550 bucks and I, wouldnt hesitate to buy it again if I needed another.

Make sure you get the resolution you want.
Expect 1028X768 from a 15"
Expect 1280X1024 from a 17"
Expect 1600X1200 from a 20"

In my opionion an 18" or a 19" that only does 1280X1024 is a waste of money.

Hope this helps, in short Id go for the Apple display.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2002, 04:56 PM

I have the Formac Gallery 1740 for some time now and got it $200 cheaper then Apples display (brand new of course). It's awesome - and so much better then Apple's... much more bang for the buck. Wider viewing area, faster pixel response rate, brighter nit rating, higher contrast, and of course it has the 2 USB ports and has the ADC connector.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2002, 02:09 AM

The Apple 17 inch finished in a far ahead first place two months ago in Consumer Reports magazine.

PeteWK

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 2, 2002, 03:17 AM

Formac cut corners and make cheap stuff that seems appealing because of the low price tag. Don't count on it lasting anywhere near as long as an Apple product.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

saltines17
Senior User
Oct 2, 2002, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
Formac cut corners and make cheap stuff that seems appealing because of the low price tag. Don't count on it lasting anywhere near as long as an Apple product.
How's their new 20.1" LCD? Has anyone heard anything positive/negative?

KeilwerthSX90R  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2002, 12:33 AM

It would be weird sitting next to my powermac, but what about a sony or Dell LCD? The reason I ask is that for a litte more than the price of a single Apple 17" I could get two Dells.

Also, my LCD knowledge is not on par with other aspects of computers, what should I look for in my decision, what are the important LCD specs? What should I be looking for in terms of brightness, contrast, etc.?

Thanks

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2002, 12:55 AM

minor variances aside, you get what you pay for. i figure that if i spend a lot of time looking at the damn thing, i want a good one...don't skimp on the monitor you buy.

..and personally, there is no way i would give one lousy penny to michael dell. i could not look at that logo next to my powermac.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

coolmac
Oct 7, 2002, 08:19 AM

I just got a beautiful 17" LCD display, it's called the Mermaid Ventura (mermaidtechnology.com).

Its made in Denmark and is just beautiful, both in asthetics and the display itself, its very "European" looking.

It has an antiglare glass panel which protects the LCD display.

They can be found at Bang & Olufson stores (as they look like B&O products), and the Dell Peripheral Store:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...0&refurbished=

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
I just got a beautiful 17" LCD display, it's called the Mermaid Ventura (mermaidtechnology.com).

Its made in Denmark and is just beautiful, both in asthetics and the display itself, its very "European" looking.

It has an antiglare glass panel which protects the LCD display.

They can be found at Bang & Olufson stores (as they look like B&O products), and the Dell Peripheral Store:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...0&refurbished=
So, that's more expensive than a 17" Apple display. WTF?

jay999
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2002, 12:08 PM

You should go out and look at the monitors before any purchase. Viewing angle is very important because you will not always be looking perfectly in line with the sweet spot of the monitor. The iMacs and now discontinued 15" apple lcd's have really bad viewing angles and are a piece of junk. The 17" apple lcd is OK but is too expensive. I would go for the formac because it is much cheaper , has a slighlty larger screen, and is more color accurate. Or if you can spend the money go and get the 22" cinema display... I look at one everyday and it is well worth the price.

j

Rhino99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 01:50 PM

I have one of these on order from Seybold. I am a little wary, I see zOne81 hates their stuff, and I have heard they are always late shipping new products. So, I will try to remember to post impressions jere when I get it. S/B soon...
"A little older, a little more confused."
-Dennis Hopper in The American Friend

slider
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:

..and personally, there is no way i would give one lousy penny to michael dell. i could not look at that logo next to my powermac.
I hear ya

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 08:23 PM

I searched far and wide for an LCD monitor that was cheaper than the Apple 17" model but of comparable quality. I didn't find anything that was as pleasing to my eye. I just picked up the Apple monitor yesterday. It's fantastic. My only concern had been how well it would work in high-frame-rate games. I need not have worried. It looks just great.

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
I'm getting a new Powermac in the next week and I was wondering what LCD I should get? I'm looking in the 17"-19" range most likely. Are the Apple Displays the best available? Is Apple going to release new displays soon after the promotion expires?

Thanks

schalliol
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 12:02 AM

Expensive, but try Formac (http://www.formac.com/), should be better at high frame rate.

Welnic
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
It would be weird sitting next to my powermac, but what about a sony or Dell LCD? The reason I ask is that for a litte more than the price of a single Apple 17" I could get two Dells.

Also, my LCD knowledge is not on par with other aspects of computers, what should I look for in my decision, what are the important LCD specs? What should I be looking for in terms of brightness, contrast, etc.?

Thanks
I have an Apple 17" LCD on my home computer and it is just great. I also think there is a rebate going on right now if you buy a computer and a monitor. If you get an Apple monitor then it plugs right in, with anything else you need an ADC to DVI adaptor.

That said, at work I have two Dell 1800FPs. It is an old G4 tower so the original card had a DVI output, and so did the card that I added. If you do want to run two monitors I would highly recommend two of these. The monitor is very crisp and extremely bright. The best part for running two monitors is the bezel is very thin so the screens end up very close to each other.

Rick Johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 01:07 AM

I just got my new Formac 2010 today. I had to run the calibration routine to adjust the color, but when I did, my color photos (CMYK in Photoshop) look just like the printed versions (offset press, magazine). I think the color is as good as my Apple 21" Studio Display (the big blue one) that died prematurely, and the clarity is better than any CRT I've used. I tried the 23" Cinema Display at work, but I think this has more even lighting and consistent color balance.

One nit, though. My Radeon 8500 card has the DVI and VGA ports so close that I can't connect two monitors at once. My second monitor has to use the PCI card--no Quartz Extreme there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules