Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Monitors on PowerBooks?

External Monitors on PowerBooks?
LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 03:21 PM

Ok I have changed my mind from a 15 to a 12 now. I am going to get a 12 as soon as revB comes out. If the bundle deal is getting close to expiring before a revB then Ill give in. Anyway I have a few questions. If I get a 12 and say it has DVI out will I be able to use the external monitor as my primary monitor in games. Say it didnt have DVI out could I still make a CRT my primary monitor. I guess my question is I probably want the bigger display to be my primary monitor in games and stuff understandably.

dazzla
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 03:27 PM

It's my understanding that you just drag the menu bar onto whatever monitor in display prefs and it'll act as your main monitor.

But don't take my word for it

Godzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 04:04 PM

Dazzla is correct.

System Preferences; Display; Arrangement; Drag the Menu Bar into whichever monitor you want it to have.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 04:38 PM

Yep, tried it this afternoon. Works fine.

Good luck with the 12" DVI though...

Peace,

Marc

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 08:49 PM

lol we will C im telling you having a 12 and 15 around is making my decision really tough. I am waiting still for 2 reasons.

1. Possibly get panther for 20 bucks
2. Revision B of the 12 and maybe a 15 revision.

Yup I thought this would happen in June but things are looking foggy.

Thanks for the help though sounds easy enough. Can you reccomend a few LCD displays no bigger than 17 inch Im really not sure what to get.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 10:05 PM

> Ext. monitor as primary display

You could also use the PB is clamshell mode, but you will need a USB keyboard and mouse.

> Recommend a LCD display no bigger than 17"

A 17" that has a native resolution of 1280x1024 is what I would recommend. (see sig)
Lysdexics have more fnu.

LfGrdMike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 10:19 PM

So your saying get a Sony. Also can you honestly tell me that you have no gripes. not being sarcastic serious question I have never used a sony LCD.

slow moe
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
So your saying get a Sony. Also can you honestly tell me that you have no gripes. not being sarcastic serious question I have never used a sony LCD.
I have no gripes with the Sony, but by all means get what you like. I'm merely suggesting that a 17" display with a native resolution of 1280x1024 would give you the largest screen area for that size display. Also, refresh rates aren't a problem with LCDs, and the 12" supports up to 1600x1200 resolution, so a bigger higher res display isn't out of the question, if you've got the room.
Lysdexics have more fnu.

todrain
Senior User
Aug 2, 2003, 12:33 AM

Pretty much any VGA monitor ill work (LCD or not) I use my 17" Viewsonic a75F with my PB when I'm at home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules