Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Who uses the provided Apple Keyboard and/or Mouse?

View Poll Results: What keyboard and mouse are you using?
Poll Options:
Apple keyboard and mouse 12 votes (26.67%)
Apple keyboard and a third party mouse 27 votes (60.00%)
Apple mouse and a third party keyboard 0 votes (0%)
Third party keyboard and mouse 6 votes (13.33%)
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
Who uses the provided Apple Keyboard and/or Mouse?
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 05:24 PM

After reading through the threads of people complaining about the same keyboard and mouse shipping with the G5 that ships with the eMac I'm curious who actually uses an Apple keyboard and mouse and who uses third party products.

Josh

derekn
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 10:09 PM

When I got my first G4 (dual 867 and now a 1.2Ghz SP), I used the Apple keyboard just for the media keys (volume up/down, mute and eject). I've since gotten a Powermate and the Apple keyboard is now in storage. The mouse is just for a backup, I can't stand the thought of using a one button mouse. 3 or more buttons, no debate.

I use a Kinesis ergonomic keyboard now (it's hard going from this to a regular keyboard) and a Logitech dual optical now. I haven't used a factory keyboard and mouse since my PowerMac 6100. Or rather a factory mouse at least, the 6100 didn't come with a keyboard in the box, I got one bundled from Adesso. LOL

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 01:20 AM

I love the pro keyboard.. it's perhaps one of the best (both in looks and feel) keyboards I've ever used.

Other keyboards feel too spongy or have other problems. As for the mouse I just use the pro mouse that came with my g4 at the moment as the 'ergonomic' AKA: 3 inch tall mice tend to cause really bad pain in my wrists.

Actually as far as ergo is concerned I sit my computer in the corner of my table now. Thanks to that I haven't had any problems with my wrists since

*shrug* the mouse? I could like to have a scrollwheel and such. no big deal tho.. I've gotten used to not being used to things.. every computer I use seems to be different so yeah.
Aloha

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 01:38 AM

I'm using the apple pro keyboard that came with my Quicksilver. I used the apple pro mouse for several months but I have since switched to a Logitech MX 300. The pro keyboard is not bad, but its not as nice as the original adb extended keyboard that came with my SE. I liked that keyboard because its keys felt similar to those of a typewriter.

--ranga

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 04:01 PM

I use Apple's Pro Keyboard (which is my favorite keyboard of any I have used) with a Logitech mouse. Compared with other one-button mice I have no problem with the Pro Mouse. But I'm addicted to the scroll wheel and right-clicking.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 04:44 PM

Neither! Ack! 3rd party all the way! Logitech MX500 for the mouse, MacAlly IceKey Keyboard for the keys
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 04:59 PM

I really like the Apple Pro Keyboard.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 05:30 PM

I use the Apple keyboard that came with my Powerbook and occasionally use an Apple Pro Mouse that I got from my ex-wife's LCD iMac.

todrain
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 06:56 PM

I have a pro keyboard that I use with my PowerBook, as well as a Microsoft Explorer optical Mouse.

As much as I love Apple stuff, the age of the one button mouse is over...

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 08:47 PM

Pro Keyboard on laptop (when "docked") and desktop. Kensington Turbo Mouse Trackball on both. I have used the Turbo Mouse since my first mac w/ADB, an LC. Love 'em, nothing compares.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 10:21 PM

Pro keyboard
Pro mouse

I have used/owned the Macally iKey, two Logitech mice (optical wheel mouse SE and MX700)... still didn't win my heart over the stock Pro keyboard and mouse.

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2003, 10:53 PM

I use the Apple Pro keyboard and mouse and love them.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

dabigdawg
Feb 5, 2004, 07:35 PM

I USe the Tactile Pro which has same buttons as Apple pro only with a power button added and the keys are incredible, old school klicky klack spring feel, I luv it. I use this in combo with a powermate and MX 700 wireless logitech mouse.
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2004, 09:08 PM

nice bump.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 12:41 PM

I'm still using the original small USB keyboard from my PowerMac G4 with my PowerBook, I do have a Logitech MX300 mouse (a one button mouse is unuseable).

macamateur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2004, 03:17 PM

Pour moi, it's a no brainer!

- Apple Pro Keyboard
- Logitech MX700 Cordless Optical Mouse with all those Marvelous Buttons! Can't deal with that the-whole-mouse-is-the-whole-button thing. DOH!

Funny thing on that Logitech mouse, though. The...uh...Support at Logitech could'nt explain why my Logitech Control Center in System Prefs couldn't find the device. Had to get answer on forums, which I did, and in a snap the Control Center found my mouse and now all is .

SomeToast
Senior User
Feb 6, 2004, 07:25 PM

At home I use an Apple Extended Keyboard with an iMate ADB adapter. Fantastic keyboard, built like a tank, over fourteen years old and going strong.

At the office it's the same arrangement, but with a newer Extended Keyboard II.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 07:43 PM

I used to have a Macally mouse, but it stopped wortking like I asked it to, so I now use both the Apple keyboard and mouse. It's not really as hard as I imained to mash control, then the mouse button...

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 6, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
nice bump.
Way to go!! Next time this thread comes around in half a year, sneaking up on us!

For me, it's pro keyboard and MS Intellimouse. I'd miss my scrollwheel and 2nd button too much with the pro mouse, although it looks veeery nice.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 08:27 PM

Anyone wanna sell their pro keyboard?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 10:04 PM

I use the Pro Keyboard. But I use a Logitech MouseMan Wheel.

Greatest. Mouse. Ev4r!

Very comfortable, and the blue LED is nifty.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

masugu
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 02:28 PM

I don't actually have a G5 yet....but when I get one, I plan to ditch the little white-keyed midget and use my black pro keyboard + black mouse I got separately for my old G4. Seems to me that black is more aesthetically pleasing / matches the G5 better. The keyboard and mouse has been an Apple weakness for sometime now.

Mr. Ive, please address this!!! You have short-shrifted two of the most important I/O devices on the Mac!!!!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2004, 02:37 PM

I use the keyboard that came with my G5 on the blue & white G3 I have at the office. I was using a Logitech Elite keyboard on the G5 at home, but really began to like the much smaller footprint of the Apple keyboard vs. the programmable function keys of the Logitech. So, now I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard at home on the G5.

Does that count as using the supplied keyboard?

Third party mouse(s) all the way, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules