Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > T-Mobile software update gets iPhone 5 users AWS LTE, HD Voice

T-Mobile software update gets iPhone 5 users AWS LTE, HD Voice
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 5, 2013, 04:07 PM

T-Mobile has released a software update for iPhone 5 users on its network, ensuring that people with older models can get access to some of the features planned for phones shipping on April 12th. That includes access to AWS LTE, Visual Voicemail, the Commercial Mobile Alert System, and HD Voice call quality.

The update requires iOS 6.1.x or better. In addition to iPhone 5 support, it's said to include device and network optimizations that improve battery life.

Although T-Mobile won't officially carry the iPhone until the 12th, the carrier has for some time supported unlocked devices. It already hosts about 2 million iPhone owners on its network, and being able to pay less for a carrier-attached iPhone is expected to attract many more customers.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2013, 04:58 PM

Was an AT&T customer before leaving for a two year assignment abroad in Germany. Joined Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile's parent) and while the customer service was atrocious at first and has gotten better, I see great things for T-Mobile's expansion in the USA under a real iPhone plan. I ran an unlocked USA iPhone 4, and four purchases iPhone 4's, on the DT plan. Unlocks are available and simple here, plus my two years matches pretty well the original two-year contracts. So I'll be quite interested in the feedback/chatter about T-Mobile service on the iPhones. Glad to see somebody in the USA finally had the strength to do an 'uncarrier' plan like in the rest of the world! Maybe it's their DT roots?
--
Stuke

Stuke
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2013, 05:00 PM

Was an AT&T customer for a few years and never liked their restrictions and 'monopolistic' behavior toward phone accounts. I was sent for a two year assignment abroad in Germany. Joined Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile's parent) and while the customer service was atrocious at first, it had gotten much better here in Deutschland. I see great things for T-Mobile's expansion in the USA under a real iPhone plan. I ran an unlocked USA iPhone 4, and four purchases iPhone 4's, on the DT plan. Unlocks are available and simple here, plus my two years matches pretty well the original two-year contracts. So I'll be quite interested in the feedback/chatter about T-Mobile service on the iPhones. Glad to see somebody in the USA finally had the strength to do an 'uncarrier' plan like in the rest of the world! Maybe it's their DT roots?
--
Stuke

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2013, 11:19 AM

Since the first iPhone shipped with Visual Voice Mail, I can't understand why every iPhone won't soon have it. Why the upgrade? Why only the iPhone 5?
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Apr 6, 2013, 11:56 PM

I called T-Mobile about this, and the person I spoke to couldn't find any information about an update

Forum Links
Forum Rules