Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3/4 the screen is gone - what to do?

3/4 the screen is gone - what to do?
ats01a
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 07:26 PM

My wife owns a 366 mhz ibook that she bought about a year ago off ebay. Now, every time I start up the computer 3/4 of the screen is a mess of pixels and the upper 1/4 looks fine. The pixels on the lower portion are still active, as in, I can still see color on them occassionally, but it is in no way readable. Any ideas or suggestions?

incubusdaemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 06:21 AM

disclaimer: not a certified mac technician

If it were my computer, the first thing I would do it send it to apple if it's under warrenty. I'd assume it not, since you're posting.

Since the top 1/4 works, it's most likely a display<->lcd connection problem. Do you have an external monitor on hand to test? How does it look on that?

rytc
Senior User
Jul 30, 2004, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by incubusdaemon:
disclaimer: not a certified mac technician

If it were my computer, the first thing I would do it send it to apple if it's under warrenty. I'd assume it not, since you're posting.

Since the top 1/4 works, it's most likely a display<->lcd connection problem. Do you have an external monitor on hand to test? How does it look on that?
Chances are this is the earlier 366 MHz iBook without composite out, however if it does have it plug it into a TV and try it out.
The clamshells never came with VGA out, only composite output for displaying on TV.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2004, 07:02 PM

Sounds like the connection wire, of course, is loose. This can cause odd things like that to happen
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules