Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lauchbar (and other) WRT Tiger

Lauchbar (and other) WRT Tiger
velporama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2004, 12:12 PM

Hello Tiger Devs and 'Others',

I am curious to get impressions on how the next release of OS X is going to affect my favorite system app of all time: Launchbar.

I know the new Spotlight feature is going to have features which Launchbar currently delivers, but does it have enough oomph to displace Launchbar?

Will Launchbar be able to use the Spotlight technology and become the 'OmniWeb' of launch apps?

Cheers,

Velporama

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 03:34 PM

Launchbar has already been displaced.

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:

That's debatable.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2004, 05:37 PM

No, Spotlight isn't going to replace Launchbar (or $launcher_utility_of_choice). If the authors of these utils are smart, they'll integrate Spotlight right into their apps, such that Launchbar will give you everything the Spotlight search gives you and more besides.
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 01:57 AM

No.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
That's debatable.
Yes, and it's FREE!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 03:44 AM

Spotlight does things LaunchBar and its ilk currently don't (e.g. deeper indexing of files containing text, more metadata fields). LaunchBar and similar apps do things Spotlight isn't intended to (e.g. smart abbreviating so you can type "OW" to launch OmniWeb, etc.). Neither product/technology is going to replace the other.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by velporama:
Hello Tiger Devs and 'Others',

I am curious to get impressions on how the next release of OS X is going to affect my favorite system app of all time: Launchbar.

I know the new Spotlight feature is going to have features which Launchbar currently delivers, but does it have enough oomph to displace Launchbar?

Will Launchbar be able to use the Spotlight technology and become the 'OmniWeb' of launch apps?

Cheers,

Velporama
I don't think Spotlight will fully replace Launchbar -- Spotlight is a lot better or searching (because it gets meta-information such as EXIF tags and other things like email content), but it's not nearly as fast as Launchbar for the old "command space ent return" to launch Entourage, for example. And it never will be.

If you want to do "command space ent stare double-click in apps part of returned entries" it may be okay, but Launchbar is NAILS as far as fast, easy, reliable launchers go. I've already paid my upgrade fee for LB4.

As for Quicksilver, feh. I think it looks really pretty, but I used it for a couple months (after using LB3 for 6 months, but before playing with LB4), and it really can't compare to LB4 for me. It's not as accurate, and it was never as good at things like addresses and bookmarks as LB4 is. Even if Tiger eventually does replace 100% of what LB4 does, it's worth the $10 (or $20 upgrade) for the 6-10 months until Tiger ships, to me. I'm absolutely crippled without it (click Applications in dock, hit first letter of name, search, 10 seconds later launch the app )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by velporama:
That depends on what you use Launchbar for. If you only use it for searching your hard drive, then yes, Spotlight will probably be all you need. If you use any of Launchbar's other features on a daily basis, however, then Spotlight won't be enough.
So far it doesn't seem that way, but Tiger is a long way off, and no one really knows what hooks will be added in for developers to use. It is altogether possible that by the time Tiger is released, the hooks needed for this will exist.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 03:33 PM

This thread prompted me to try out LaunchBar and QuickSilver. I downloaded LaunchBar and it's quite neat.

Unfortunately the site for Quicksilver has "exceeded bandwidth". Can anyone throw the archive up somewhere so I can grab it?
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
This thread prompted me to try out LaunchBar and QuickSilver. I downloaded LaunchBar and it's quite neat.

Unfortunately the site for Quicksilver has "exceeded bandwidth". Can anyone throw the archive up somewhere so I can grab it?
ditto, I just got that error message

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 07:06 PM

Same here. It's been a while since I tried QS so I thought I'd take the occasion of LB4's (obnoxious) expiration to try it again. Anyone?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
Same here. It's been a while since I tried QS so I thought I'd take the occasion of LB4's (obnoxious) expiration to try it again. Anyone?
What's obnoxious about LB4's expiration? There are betas, which are 100% unlimited use for about 6 weeks apiece. And now you can purchase a license code, $20 or $10 for an upgrade.

It's soooooo worth it, for how useful it is. It saves me $20 of time PER DAY, with the address book integration, for example.

Command-space jon shoes me Jones' phone, fax, address, and I can send an email or do an iChat with one hit of the arrow key and return, when I'm not even in Mail.app.

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
What's obnoxious about LB4's expiration? There are betas, which are 100% unlimited use for about 6 weeks apiece. And now you can purchase a license code, $20 or $10 for an upgrade.

It's soooooo worth it, for how useful it is. It saves me $20 of time PER DAY, with the address book integration, for example.

Command-space jon shoes me Jones' phone, fax, address, and I can send an email or do an iChat with one hit of the arrow key and return, when I'm not even in Mail.app.
I don't have a problem with the expiration, per se, but the way it expires. It just quits. Most apps will tell you it's time to download a new version and keep going, nagging you from time to time. Not LB.

Anyway, I've been a registered user for about 2 years now, I figure it's time they got some more money from me.

velporama  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the responses. It seems to me that LaunchBar (and others) will be doing fine in a Spotlight world. Thanks for all the feedback.

Velporama.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:28 AM

Quicksilver is very nice. I think I like LaunchBar better, but I'm too cheap, so I'll use Quicksilver for now. The site is back up BTW.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules