Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OW5.0 final is out

OW5.0 final is out (Page 10)
pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 10:44 AM

Oh right, thanks all for pointing this out!

This makes it even simpler to add the engines. Never noticed this before.
i look in your general direction

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2004, 11:44 AM

Is it possible to do css-adblocking in Omniweb btw?

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
Is it possible to do css-adblocking in Omniweb btw?
Just discussed in the Mailing List:

Launch Terminal.app, and type

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWUserStyleSheetLocation file:///Users/your account/Documents/OWCSS.css

press Return and that's all.
You can drag and drop your CSS on to the Terminal window instead of designating the file path.
Perhaps it's better to quit OmniWeb before you do this.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 04:44 PM

5.1b4 is the first truly usable version of OW 5.1, but there are still many unacceptable bugs:

1. OW 5.1b4 still crashes far too often
2. Workspace auto-save doesn't always work;this is worse than Safari because you *expect* OW to deliver what it promises.
3. Periodically, OW simply stops loading web pages, and has to be quit and relaunched.

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Le Flaneur:
5.1b4 is the first truly usable version of OW 5.1, but there are still many unacceptable bugs:

2. Workspace auto-save doesn't always work;this is worse than Safari because you *expect* OW to deliver what it promises.
3. Periodically, OW simply stops loading web pages, and has to be quit and relaunched.
Dude I have never experience ANY of those problems and I use OW all day every day. I think might need to dump the prefs and cache files.
i hate project managers.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
Dude I have never experience ANY of those problems and I use OW all day every day. I think might need to dump the prefs and cache files.
It all depends on what one does with OW, I guess The auto-save bug has been confirmed, by the way.

Needless to say, I did dump the prefs and cache files a while back -- made no difference.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 05:40 PM

Dude I have never experience ANY of those problems and I use OW all day every day.
Same here... so far.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 05:55 PM

It all depends on what one does with OW, I guess The auto-save bug has been confirmed, by the way.

Needless to say, I did dump the prefs and cache files a while back -- made no difference.
Well I have auto save on and it always works for me. Never had a problem. Im a pretty heavy surfer. I have a least 5 windows open and most of them are flash sites or have some kind of quicktime running. I get a crash every now and then but its nothing major.

What version of OSX are you running? What machine? How much RAM? Is the OS updated?
i hate project managers.

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2004, 06:29 PM

I've been using OW pretty much exclusively and I also haven't had any of these problems; although I don't use save workspace much anymore. I can't recall the last time OW crashed. I wonder if there's a connection between autosave on and crashing/stalling.
i look in your general direction

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 06:45 PM

I think might need to dump the prefs and cache files.
I've never done this before... even between all of the 5.1 betas....

But I tried it today... and whoa... who knew? It actually made a difference

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
I've never done this before... even between all of the 5.1 betas....

But I tried it today... and whoa... who knew? It actually made a difference
yeah your suppose to do it when you install a new beta.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 17, 2004, 07:20 PM

OW just posted Beta 5. Feels faster.

OMNIWEB BETA 5
i hate project managers.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 17, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by pliny:
I've been using OW pretty much exclusively and I also haven't had any of these problems; although I don't use save workspace much anymore. I can't recall the last time OW crashed. I wonder if there's a connection between autosave on and crashing/stalling.
There isn't. See the release notes for beta 5.

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 11:34 PM

OW just posted Beta 5. Feels faster.
Yeah, faster than b4...a bit.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 19, 2004, 11:44 AM

I'm still seeing the following problems with b5:

1) random crashes (and yes, I trashed prefs and caches in b4)
2) intermittently, OW simply stops loading pages (i.e.. after I type a URL and hit return nothing will happen)

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

I'm still seeing the following problems with b5:

1) random crashes (and yes, I trashed prefs and caches in b4)
2) intermittently, OW simply stops loading pages (i.e.. after I type a URL and hit return nothing will happen)
Not here. OW Beta 5 works even better now. Less crashes, faster rendering.

What machine do you have? What system version? when was the last time you repair the disk?
i hate project managers.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 01:15 PM

I'm still seeing the following problems with b5 (snip)
I still don't

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 09:41 AM

as a first look at ow, beta 5 looks pretty darn good. probably not going to be enough to convert me to the $30 fee, but still...

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 20, 2004, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by threestain:
as a first look at ow, beta 5 looks pretty darn good. probably not going to be enough to convert me to the $30 fee, but still...
$30 is a small price to pay for browser as great as Omniweb. You think Safari is free? Think again.
i hate project managers.

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 02:57 PM

to be fair, I've only started playing around with omniweb, and so far I'm actually really really liking it. seems well good, and like all of omniweb's products, might well take more of my student loan from me!

anyone want to tell me the downsides?

(oh and I realise that safari isn't free, but its free-er as I can't see the price! )

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 03:40 PM

well first an upside - as a student, you don't have to pay $30. There's educational pricing which is significantly less.

I personally prefer omniweb to any other tool out there, that said the "downsides" most frequently cited (with the typical responses of OW supporters):

(1) not as fast as Safari/Camino/FireFox.

(couple responses here - "not so different on my machine"/"the features make up for any time I lose in redering speed"/"just wait 'til the next release." Of note - if you're finding things *seriously* slower in OW, you may have something wrong - killing cache and support files ought to clear this up)

(2) less compatible - because it uses a slightly older Safari engine, it will be slightly less compatible than Safari is, and overall Webcore/KHTML is not as widely supported as Gecko.

("works fine for all the sites I visit" "I'd still prefer to use it for all the sites it works with, and only launch Camino/Safari/FireFox/IE(!) when I absolutely have to")

Those two complaints, probably cover about 95% of the gripes people have with Omniweb, with the vast majority falling into (1) rather than (2). If there is a number 3 of any significance, it's that they charge for the browser at all...
cpac

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 20, 2004, 03:58 PM

With regards to speed I'd like to say this : On my dual G5 I find it to be faster and more responsive than Safari, Camino or Firefox. On my Powerbook G4/867 it's much slower than the other three unfortunately. Why that is so, I have no idea.

Eventhough there is room for improvement, feature- and gui-wise I find OW5 to be the most pleasant of all browsers. Well worth $30!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
With regards to speed I'd like to say this : On my dual G5 I find it to be faster and more responsive than Safari, Camino or Firefox. On my Powerbook G4/867 it's much slower than the other three unfortunately. Why that is so, I have no idea.

Eventhough there is room for improvement, feature- and gui-wise I find OW5 to be the most pleasant of all browsers. Well worth $30!
OmniWeb is better threaded than the other Applications, I bet OmniWeb 4.1 would fly on your dualie too, as the entire engine was threaded there, so it used both processors.

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2004, 04:34 PM

It doesn't support proxy autoconfig, which means it will probably not let you access your school's library (or other on-line facilities) from off campus.

OTOH, they say they might support it if they get enough requests.

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 11:05 AM

is there a way to import all my safari bookmarks?

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2004, 11:42 AM

Bookmarks > Import Bookmarks...
Then choose Safari. That's all.
This way all your Safari Bookmarks are added to your original OW Bookmarks.

If you'd like to replace OW Bookmarks with Safari Bookmarks altogether, try Safari Bookmark Exporter.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 11:48 AM

To add to what yskar has said, what the Safari import process does is create a Safari collection in your bookmark sidebar. I believe I am right in saying that this collection auot-updates to reflect any subsequent changes you may make to your Safari bookmarks (from within Safari of course) so that e.g if you add more bookmarks in Safari and delete some, it will get reflected in your OW Safari bookmark collection.

I'm right... this is from OmniWeb help:

"Importing bookmarks from other browsers

The Import Bookmarks... command is available under the Bookmarks menu. This presents a panel where you can choose one of the preconfigured browsers from the popup list, or select a different file of your choosing to import bookmarks from.

Importing bookmarks creates a special Collection that is updated every time you restart OmniWeb reflecting any changes made to the original file. Any bookmarks you wish to add to your Personal Bookmarks can be copied by dragging them from the new Collection to their final destination."

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 12:33 PM

cheers guys - that's wicked, and more importantly its a bloody good implementation of the feature. thumbs up from me

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 02:10 PM

There's one thing I find to be more OS X-like in FireFox than in OmniWeb: the ultra-smooth "find" funtion that opens an unobtrusive search bar at the bottom of the page and finds as you type.
Maybe for OW 5.2?

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by workerbee:
There's one thing I find to be more OS X-like in FireFox than in OmniWeb: the ultra-smooth "find" funtion that opens an unobtrusive search bar at the bottom of the page and finds as you type.
Maybe for OW 5.2?
omniweb currently does this for links (just start typing the link's text and you'll be taken there).

There has been much discussion about putting full text (rather than just links) type-ahead finding, and it has been partially implemented (you can try it out via a hidden default mentioned earlier in this thread). My bet would be that once they've ironed out the bugs, it'll be a standard feature (perhaps before we get to 5.2).
cpac

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
omniweb currently does this for links (just start typing the link's text and you'll be taken there).

There has been much discussion about putting full text (rather than just links) type-ahead finding, and it has been partially implemented (you can try it out via a hidden default mentioned earlier in this thread). My bet would be that once they've ironed out the bugs, it'll be a standard feature (perhaps before we get to 5.2).
Apart from the type-ahead text-highlighting, I also find the search bar itself to be really nice in Firefox, and prefer it to OWs pop-up window. It just seems so... Omni

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 02:33 PM

Apart from the type-ahead text-highlighting, I also find the search bar itself to be really nice in Firefox, and prefer it to OWs pop-up window. It just seems so... Omni
Ah - you mean the standard cocoa find dialog box.

It does pop up, but if you're searching for the "next term" a lot, you can close it and just hit command-G to go to the next hit.
cpac

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 02:55 PM

Ah - you mean the standard cocoa find dialog box.

It does pop up, but if you're searching for the "next term" a lot, you can close it and just hit command-G to go to the next hit.
Yes, I know -- cmd-G gets quite a lot of use around here, me being a repetitive kind of person. But the Firefox search bar is still nicer to look at, and has nifty things like "highlight".

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 03:10 PM

Yes, I know -- cmd-G gets quite a lot of use around here, me being a repetitive kind of person. But the Firefox search bar is still nicer to look at, and has nifty things like "highlight".
Sounds like a good feature suggestion - I'd send it in. (Though I wonder if something like this would be better written as a service available to other applications as well...)
cpac

aged
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2004, 10:50 PM

Grab the JS bookmarklet called Highlighter from http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/extras/

bright yellow even!

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 04:45 PM

Well, OW even seems capable of crashing the system itself! I started to have problems with the latest beta of OmniWeb 5.1 this morning, and eventually, my other apps started to crash. I had to force a reboot. Consulting my system log thereafter, I discovered that OmniWeb crashed my SystemUIServer in such a way that it made other apps start to fail, including the Finder.

By comparison, OW's cache corruption problems seem minor

Dec 29 10:22:19 Muse /Applications/OmniWeb.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniWeb: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:22:36 Muse last message repeated 10 times
Dec 29 10:22:43 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:22:59 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:23:05 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:23:13 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:23:20 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:23:33 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:23:46 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:23:55 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
[snip]
Dec 29 10:26:16 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:17 Muse /Applications/Eudora/Eudora.app/Contents/MacOS/Eudora: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:18 Muse crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Eudora.crash.log
Dec 29 10:26:19 Muse crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Eudora.crash.log
Dec 29 10:26:19 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/UserNotificationCenter.app/Contents/MacOS/UserNotificationCenter: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:22 Muse /Applications/Eudora/Eudora.app/Contents/MacOS/Eudora: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:22 Muse /Applications/Eudora/Eudora.app/Contents/MacOS/Eudora: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:23 Muse crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Eudora.crash.log
Dec 29 10:26:24 Muse crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Eudora.crash.log
Dec 29 10:26:24 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:25 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:27 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:28 Muse loginwindow[193]: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:28 Muse loginwindow[193]: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:33 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:33 Muse loginwindow[193]: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:37 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:42 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:46 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:49 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:51 Muse loginwindow[193]: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:53 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:55 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:26:58 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:01 Muse loginwindow[193]: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:03 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:05 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:08 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:11 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:14 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:16 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:16 Muse crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Dec 29 10:27:18 Muse crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Dec 29 10:27:21 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:27 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:30 Muse sudo: mbizer : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/mbizer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/shutdown now
Dec 29 10:27:33 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:39 Muse sudo: mbizer : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/mbizer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/shutdown
Dec 29 10:27:40 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:46 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:48 Muse sudo: mbizer : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/mbizer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/shutdown -n
Dec 29 10:27:53 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:27:59 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:05 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:12 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:18 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:24 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:28 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:34 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:40 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:45 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:28:59 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:02 Muse last message repeated 3 times
Dec 29 10:29:04 Muse crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Dec 29 10:29:04 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:05 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:06 Muse crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/mbizer/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Dec 29 10:29:08 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:12 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:14 Muse /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:15 Muse /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:16 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:17 Muse loginwindow[193]: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:19 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:20 Muse /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:22 Muse last message repeated 2 times
Dec 29 10:29:23 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:24 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:25 Muse sudo: mbizer : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/mbizer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/shutdown -n
Dec 29 10:29:26 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:28 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:30 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:32 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:33 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:35 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:37 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:46 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:47 Muse /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer: CGSResolveShmemReference : offset exceeds bounds
Dec 29 10:29:51 Muse sudo: mbizer : TTY=ttyp1 ; PWD=/Users/mbizer ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/reboot
Dec 29 10:29:51 Muse reboot: rebooted by mbizer

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 01:01 AM

With all this talk of Firefox's search function, I thought I'd chime in. I've been using Firefox a bit lately (I need to use a proxy.pac file to access certain scholarly journals which unfortunately OW doesn't support yet) and while the search function is damn cool, I find it a bit frustrating when I want to dismiss it. If I hit cmd-W, the entire window closes. This means that to dismiss the little "Find" bar, I have to use the mouse/trackpad to actually close it. It's a very inconsistent as a UI feature and very inconvenient when I want to navigate using the keyboard. At least in OW, when you fire up the Site Preferences, the same keyboard shortcut dismisses them. Not so in Firefox with Find. Again, cool but flawed.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
Again, cool but flawed.
You're right. Never thought of it this way. Certainly the Omni folks can and will come up with something better

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 09:18 PM

I just tried the latest Camino with Camino extra prefs and it's speed blew me away. Five minutes with this thing made OW5 seem very slow indeed. OW has, of course, so many extra features I miss in Camino, so I was wondering, is it realistic to expect OW5 to ever get as fast Camino?

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
I was wondering, is it realistic to expect OW5 to ever get as fast Camino?
I'm inclined to say no but it's equally unlikely that Camino will ever get all the feature of OmniWeb so I use Camino when I want raw speed and OmniWeb when I want the user experience.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
I'm inclined to say no but it's equally unlikely that Camino will ever get all the feature of OmniWeb so I use Camino when I want raw speed and OmniWeb when I want the user experience.
I'm a little more optimistic...

posted from webcore 168 (no not some secret omnibeta, just Safari)

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 31, 2004, 12:18 AM

OmniWeb does not perform on the same level as Safari even with the same versions of WebCore.

Safari is a much more lean app with fewer features and WebCore (or any render engine) alone is not the only factor in browser performance.

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
OmniWeb does not perform on the same level as Safari even with the same versions of WebCore.

Safari is a much more lean app with fewer features and WebCore (or any render engine) alone is not the only factor in browser performance.
sure - but everything's relative.

The rendering speed differences between safari, omniweb and camino on my TiBook 500 are negligible
cpac

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 09:01 AM

Same here - on my TiBook 1GHz, all four of my broswers seem to be exactly the same - Firefox, Camino, Safari and OW. Its just what extras you want I guess. Frankly I've moved from Safari, with Camino as an aside to Safari and OW, mainly because of the extra goodness, despite the $$

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 12:17 PM

Hey, OMNI guys,can we expect OW 5.1 final for MWSF? Would be so cool, as I'm usually waiting for stable releases and would love to surf with 5.1 after going through parts of the thread again.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
Hey, OMNI guys,can we expect OW 5.1 final for MWSF? Would be so cool, as I'm usually waiting for stable releases and would love to surf with 5.1 after going through parts of the thread again.
Stable? OW has been stable for a while now.

I really dont see where everyone is getting that OW is slower. On my machine OW is just as fast as Safari, FireFox and Camino.
i hate project managers.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 12:41 PM

Stable? OW has been stable for a while now.
Well that all depends on your definition of stable. Omnigroup still calls 5.1 "beta" and so I think HOMBRE is just asking when he can expect a non-beta version.

That said, HOMBRE - I'd second drainyoo's sentiment - very few crashes at all with the current 5.1 beta, so unless you're truly terrified by the prospect of having a crash, I'd go ahead and start using 5.1 now...
cpac

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 04:36 PM

Well that all depends on your definition of stable. Omnigroup still calls 5.1 "beta" and so I think HOMBRE is just asking when he can expect a non-beta version.

That said, HOMBRE - I'd second drainyoo's sentiment - very few crashes at all with the current 5.1 beta, so unless you're truly terrified by the prospect of having a crash, I'd go ahead and start using 5.1 now...
Yeah I know I could, but I hate to have unpleasent surprises if some prefs are changed before the final and that I have to trash them and so forth. This is why I wait for the final i.e. non-beta version of OW 5.1.

I just wanted to know if we could get some statement from omni. :-/
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 06:12 PM

Any info on compatibility of OmniWeb 5.1 and OS X 10.4?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 06:50 PM

It'll probably work, since the WebCore it uses is integrated into the application. The real question is, when is it going to use Tiger's new WebCore and JavaScriptCore?

Forum Links
Forum Rules