Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where are AddressBook and iCal data files, and What are they called???

Where are AddressBook and iCal data files, and What are they called???
bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2005, 02:18 PM

Hey All

I'm new to this stuff, I've got a Laptop(Pismo)and an External Harddrive that I Boot to when I'm at home. I'd like to Sync or Import that data back and forth...

I Searched but didn't come up with anything, but my Search skills aren't very good.

Thanks!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 03:12 PM

Not sure about the Addressbook files but calendar ones are named after the calendar + .ics

example:
school.ics
they're located in your library user folder under "calendars"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2005, 03:57 PM

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 06:45 PM

Hey All

Got'am Saved my Life!!!

Thanks!!!

Brad
Pismo 400 OS X 10.3.9, SuperDrive, 1gb Mem, 80gb HD.
New GREEN 6gb Mini!!! 1gb Shuffle, and 30gb iPod.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 03:19 AM

Have you tried iSync and .Mac? I'm not sure, but since you're booting from a different hard drive, it might think the two different boot sessions are two different machines and allow you to sync them like any other.

Also, if your reason for using the external HD doesn't have something to do with keeping separate home folders, you could set it up so that your home folder stays on the internal drive regardless of which drive you're booting from: when booted from the external drive, either use NetInfo Manager to change your home directory path, or delete your home folder and create a symbolic link (using the Terminal or an app such as Path Finder) from /Users/username to /Volumes/InternalHDName/Users/username. (If it's just some of your data that needs separating -- say, your iTunes or iPhoto library is too big to fit on the internal drive -- you can use the symbolic link trick there, too. Just create links back to places on the external drive in place of the usual iTunes or iPhoto library folders.)

(Need help with exactly how to accomplish the above? Search google or MacOSXHints.com and you're sure to find detailed instructions.)
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules