Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Has Safari 2.0 become your new RSS reader?

View Poll Results: Has Safari 2.0 become your new RSS reader?
Poll Options:
Yes I use Safari 2.0 to read RSS. I have never tried anything else. 11 votes (20.37%)
Yes I use Safari 2.0 to read RSS because I like it. 15 votes (27.78%)
No I still use NetNewsWire or other RSS reader because I don't like Safari's method. 25 votes (46.30%)
No I still use NetNewsWire or other RSS reader because I use firefox/Omniweb etc. 3 votes (5.56%)
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
Has Safari 2.0 become your new RSS reader?
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 12:06 PM

Personally I don't like Safari 2.0 half as much as I thought it would. I still use netNewsWire because I can see in the dock when something gets updated.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2005, 12:35 PM

I use NetNewsWire because I like having it as a stand-alone app. I hate convergence, that's why I stopped using Netscape a long time ago.

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
I use NetNewsWire because I like having it as a stand-alone app. I hate convergence, that's why I stopped using Netscape a long time ago.
I also much prefer NNW, not because I am against convergence apps, but because Safari is more feed specific rather than folder/genre specific as NNW can be.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2005, 04:27 PM

I use PulpFiction Lite, I like to keep some kind of subscriptions and have them available every time I open the app.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2005, 05:03 PM

I used bloglines.com, and the transition to Safari 2.0 was seamless and in my case it was worth.

Sarc
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 05:29 PM

I've tried to adopt RSS at least twice, but I just can't get used to them ... I keep coming back to my 'updates' Auto-Tab folder in safari, where I have macrumors, the newspaper, some university stuff and some forums.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

ambush
Banned
May 13, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
This is hardly convergence, since RSS has become part of the World Wide Web. Any browser should support it.

Anyway... yeah, it does fit my needs. I like the UI of it, etc. I hate having too many apps open.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 07:25 PM

Unitl Saf 2.0 I had been generally frustrated with RSS in general.

Saf 2.0 has me seeing what it can be. I'll be trying NNW 2.0.

More than anything, Saf RSS compiling it all on a single, sortable, searchable page is very nice. We'll see…

T

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
This is hardly convergence, since RSS has become part of the World Wide Web. Any browser should support it.

Anyway... yeah, it does fit my needs. I like the UI of it, etc. I hate having too many apps open.
Well yes, it's not convergence in the same sense as combining a web browser and email client. Any browser can read an RSS feed, it's really just a web page anyway, they just don't necessarily render it in an easy to read way. But the function of an RSS feed and your standard web page are different. Complementary, but different. Integrating an RSS reader into a web browser is a sort of functional convergence, even if all it's doing is adding in a special way to view web pages.

I agree that putting RSS into web browsers is a good idea, especially since there are so few free RSS readers out there, I just prefer to have seperate applications for seperate purposes/functions.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 14, 2005, 02:31 PM

I use Safari RSS and prefer it to my experiences with NNW, NewsFire, PulpFiction, RSSMenu, and others.

The non-updating dock thing doesn't bother me, because if I'm using my computer, I probably have my browser open if I'm browsing news, etc. And if I'm doing other work -- writing, photo editing, etc. -- then I'd rather not have a little number down there tempting me away from my work. If I'm really bored, I can switch over to Safari anyhow.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2005, 02:34 PM

I used some RSS in Firefox when I had to use a pc at work but I hadn't really gotten into it much. I'm liking Safari's RSS, it meets my needs just fine. And the RSS screensaver is a big talking point when folks see it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2005, 08:53 PM

love Safari RSS

but the sucky things are that sometimes the feeds update but the folders don't update with numbers in parenthesis (1)...

Mike S.
Senior User
May 14, 2005, 10:10 PM

I've just started using RSS, downloaded NetNewsWire and think it is a nice app.

I like the concept but then I'm thinking is this something I really want to pay for? I know there's NNWL but it doesn't have the integrated browser so that got me looking for alternatives at which point I stumbled upon Sage for FireFox.

So far, I like it though I haven't had enough time to say whether it will change my habits plus there might be an annoying bug where it resets the names I give the feeds but again I only started using it so I can't say for sure at this point.

Click to see a screen grab I did to show another forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules