Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > does tiger come with candybar?

does tiger come with candybar?
youngjeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 10:11 PM

does it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2005, 10:15 PM

No. What on earth would lead you to suspect it did?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

youngjeezy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 10:22 PM

i dont know...is there anything i can use to replace icons without paying?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2005, 11:03 PM

does tiger come with candybar?
Depends on where you buy it. IIRC, at CompUSA and similar stores they often have various snack foods up by the cash register, but they don't sell food at the Apple stores.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Really, though... CandyBar is for system-wide icon changing (a la "themes" or similar), and no, nothing that really does that is part of the base OS. You can replace individual icons to your heart's content, though: download some icons from somewhere, and copy/paste the icon you want onto the file/folder you want to put it onto using the Finder's Get Info command. (Search Mac Help for "paste icon" if you'd like step-by-step instructions.)
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2005, 09:15 AM

Geez, dude. It's only $12.95. Are you THAT hard-up for money you can't afford 12 bucks? Wow.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2005, 11:08 AM

It has a trial period during which you can change icons for free. And if you want to use it regularly, that $13 will go to nice people who make nice software.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 23, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by youngjeezy
i dont know...is there anything i can use to replace icons without paying?

Well, since you asked so nicely, I'd be happy to tell you how you can replace those icons of yours without paying any money at all. This is the sweetest most awesome program that has never been written yet. I would suggest you go and learn how to program, write the most awesome program out there for changing icons, and then offer it up for free. Not after you've spent countless hours debugging code and sweating over a computer though. That's the bonus! You will be smarter for this effort and it cost you nothing! Just time, effort, sweat equity, and determination to fill a gap in the marketplace.

If this advice sounds harsh, please do not misunderstand me. I am a very large proponent of people who program, and I find it most irritating and insulting that someone of your ilk would even suggest they get something like the afformentioned program for free. After all, the people who programmed it worked very hard on it, and $12.95 isn't that much to ask for in order to support their continued updates and customer support for those who have already purchased their product(s).

Independent developers are the backbone of Mac software, and are the innovators who eventually and hopefully do get their product incorporated into the new OS, but at the very least they hope to eek out a living doing what they love.

I hope you take this advice constructively and not as some basic flame for your lack of experience and afront to the software developer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules