Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Barmaid

Barmaid (Page 2)
Makki
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 02:52 AM

np feel free to use it man i am sorry i was harsh i had misunderstanding. its all good man.

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2006, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Makki
np feel free to use it man i am sorry i was harsh i had misunderstanding. its all good man.
cool..yeah no disrespect intended..just a collection of desktops i have found all over that i like that others might enjoy
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

Makki
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 06:11 AM

sounds good
i am going to add a link to yours on my site.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2006, 02:01 PM

No offense, but please take this wallpaper discussion to another thread. This one is for the development and communication of and about BarMaid, or MenuFela as it will be release.

MODERATORS: Please remove the above posts regarding the wallpaper that Makki "designed" and Winchuner was displaying.

Thanks,

R

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Makki
excuse me pal dont need to be rude
http://home.comcast.net/~ckoenigsfel.../Universal.jpg
i did this wall and released it thank you very much. and who said anything bout a screenshot

Like the others, had no idea what site you were talking about, assumed it was a screenshot.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by G0Ducks
No offense, but please take this wallpaper discussion to another thread. This one is for the development and communication of and about BarMaid, or MenuFela as it will be release.

MODERATORS: Please remove the above posts regarding the wallpaper that Makki "designed" and Winchuner was displaying.

Thanks,

R

Development doesn't go in this forum, there's a development forum

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 01:05 PM

You should move yourself out of this forum, because smart ass comments belong in the lounge...

R

Originally Posted by Tick
Development doesn't go in this forum, there's a development forum

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

this thread should be locked anyway...all you are going to see is "when will this be released"..and since G0Ducks can not give a specific date for it, just release it when and if it gets released
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
AIM- klovesrae

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 03:47 PM

No. This thread should NOT be locked... I post when their is new news. I have been using this thread for what it is meant for, NOT to gripe about desktops or whatever...

If you don't care to keep up to date about the progress of BarMaid, please, just scroll on by.

Thanks,

R

Originally Posted by wingchuner
this thread should be locked anyway...all you are going to see is "when will this be released"..and since G0Ducks can not give a specific date for it, just release it when and if it gets released

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 04:20 PM

You should move yourself out of this forum, because smart ass comments belong in the lounge...

R

I was being quite serious..

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 05:02 PM

Dear Moderators,

Please lock this thread as Tick, Wingchuner, and others (with my replies to the nonsense mark me in...) have completely taken the thread way off topic, filling it up with ridiculous comments about its (the thread's) appropriateness. It is a shame that some feel that whining is a more efficient way of interacting, rather than actively being involved in the progress of a thing. Way to go gents!

Dear People who are actually interested in BarMaid,
Please PM me as I can make a special email for you with updates as they arise.

Sincerely,

R

P.S. This thread will no longer be the primary update place for BarMaid/MenuFela.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2006, 05:19 PM

Geez, I was just saying that your developer updates shouldn't go into the gui customization forums, and you go nuts.

I know that if I were to be talking about prerelease stuff with Growl and it wasn't "here's neat stuff you guys will be able to do with it, and here's some docs so you can read up and start hacking on it before hand and make pretty stuff you guys will want out of x tech" then it would definitely not fit in the "GUI Customization Forums" but rather in another forum.

So far I've responded with:

- Offering to help contact the original author of barmaid if nobody had this contact.

- Trying to defend you (GODuck) when I was under the impression that you were the one being attacked about the stupid blasted screenshot (which, if you weren't in the GUI Customization forums then that would have been off topic)

- Responded to one of your posts so that you would hopefully get that a discussion about a screenshot and the rights of the creator was on topic on the GUI Customization forums, but not in say, the Developer forums.

- Defending my comments (once, and now this time) as such.

I used to use barmaid, somewhat, and it was nice, but seriously you need to just chill and either deal with on topic banter or post in the correct forums until you have a release.

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2006, 06:28 PM

Either way, maybe you two should resolve this privately. It looks to me like you two are just getting a little too defensive and taking things the wrong way. I do think it's worth while for you to discuss it, but I don't think this or any other thread is the place. Just remember that there's no reason to take this so seriously, and we should all just be happy that the application is in development

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2006, 07:45 PM

No. This thread should NOT be locked... I post when their is new news. I have been using this thread for what it is meant for, NOT to gripe about desktops or whatever...

If you don't care to keep up to date about the progress of BarMaid, please, just scroll on by.

Thanks,

R
New news? yeah like i am going to get to try it out, when my friend gets his computer fixed...again. It's great that your friend is doing it, i think it will be awesome...but since it is redesigned from the ground up, there is no need to keep seeing the same question asked on this thread. Since you all ready have a new name then start a new topic when you actually have some ground breaking news on it, not like it's so awesome i am trying it out..blah blah blah... Barmaid is dead! move on to your friends new app...and i do hope your friend gets some spare time to pump this app out...i for one like being able to hide the menu bar.
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
AIM- klovesrae

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2006, 05:24 PM

Intriguing-sounding little mod, this "MenuFela". (BTW, you didn't mean MenuFella, did you?)

Google search for "menufela" brings up exactly two related results.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8025/picture10wt.png

One of them is this thread. Any explanation on the other one, G0Ducks?
http://paste.lisp.org/display/16907/
Seems to be Menufela APE Module code.(!)

Plomok
Apr 11, 2006, 08:56 PM

hi... I'm the guy working on menufela.
Here's the full story. In october 05 I received the source to barmaid, and ryan(g0ducks) begged me to do something with it, and I though it was a nifty idea so I did. Except I didn't particularly like the original code so I just started over. Shortly after, my ibook died, I sent it in for repairs. Apple took their time with it (ca a month) and then sent it back "repaired"... I took it back the following day because of the same reason as I brought it in to begin with ( It froze at boot time ) this process repeated itself *4* times or until february 06. By then macbook pro had been announced so I just couldn't get myself to turn the ibook in for a g4 mac so I decided to wait (I was told the macbook would arrive in mid march). This wasn't *too* bad because they had loaned me an old 12" ibook... which was broken and would freeze at least 5 time daily assuming I didn't do anything but browse the web and use it for schoolwork, I couldn't use xcode for more than 10 minutes or so without it locking up and requiring me to restart, so working on barmaid was simply no fun and I didn't do much.
Now the macbook eventually arrived (Friday april 7th) and I was anxious to just finish it and getting it off my back since it seemed that a lot of people were waiting for it. But nope... ape does not yet work on intel macs (which is understandable since it's an extremely complex app that most likely relies on ppc binary since it's purpose is to inject binary) so I haven't been able to release it.
Although, as the last post shows I have written code, menufela "works" it hides the menubar. But I just didn't want to release something that has been released before (barmaid "works" too, although apparently not as well).
I have 1or2 features left to implement. But once unsanity gets around to releasing ape for mactels it shouldn't be more than a couple of days until I get it out the door.

I hope this assures people that menufela is in fact not vapourware
p.s. If you're wondering about unsanity working on intel support, here's a reply to an email I sent them:

Fom: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ape on intel? (Case #048861-918)
Date: 11. apríl 2006 19:00:51 GMT+00:00
To: [email protected]

The exact time of when these are going to be released is unsure. Although, we are working hard to try and get these versions out as soon as possible. If you would like to see when they do become available check here:

http://www.unsanity.com/products/compatibility

Thanks and you have a wonderful day!

PS: I know this is a canned response but there is, unfortunately, not much more I can say other than the developers really are working on the Universal Binary versions and trying to release them as soon as possible. And if you are on the mailing list/newsletter list you will be notified. And you won't even have to check the compatibility page.

http://unsanity.com/list

Original message:
>Hi unsanity employee..
>I was just wondering whether and/or when application enhancer will be
>released for mactels.
>I've just bought a macbook pro and now have a bunch of unfinished code that
>is rather useless until
>you do, and it's annoying
>
>anyway, please reply soon
>
>Fjölnir Ásgeirsson
>www.aquaticsw.com
Sincerely yours,
Matt - Unsanity
p.s.2 Yeah that's some of the code. Although, it's incomplete and doesn't actually work

But now.. I'm going to sleep. It's late in Iceland
( Last edited by fjolnir; Apr 16, 2006 at 09:36 AM. )

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2006, 09:13 PM

I don't understand.

Can't you do developing for PPC (or Universal) on an Intel Mac?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Banghazi
I don't understand.

Can't you do developing for PPC (or Universal) on an Intel Mac?
Yes, you can develop for PPC (universal Binaries) on an Intel Mac. The problem here is that he isn't just developing for OS X, he is developing a module for the APE framework. As of right now, the APE framework is NOT universal, thus it doesn't run on the Intel macs.

Think of it like this:
He's making a plug-in for Foobar.app. Foobar.app is an awesome program for OS X, but it is only for PPC right now. So he can't make an Intel plug-in for a PPC only app. Once Foobar.app is updated to run on Intel he can continue working on it...

Make since?

(fjolnir: please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I understood it)

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2006, 01:33 AM

whew... Thank you Fjolnir. That explains a lot more than I could do!

There you have it fellas, right out of the Horse's Mouth!

Sooooo can't wait for MenuFela!

R

Plomok
Apr 12, 2006, 05:39 AM

Yes, you can develop for PPC (universal Binaries) on an Intel Mac. The problem here is that he isn't just developing for OS X, he is developing a module for the APE framework. As of right now, the APE framework is NOT universal, thus it doesn't run on the Intel macs.

Think of it like this:
He's making a plug-in for Foobar.app. Foobar.app is an awesome program for OS X, but it is only for PPC right now. So he can't make an Intel plug-in for a PPC only app. Once Foobar.app is updated to run on Intel he can continue working on it...

Make since?
You are very right

Burk3
Apr 12, 2006, 08:28 PM

whew... Thank you Fjolnir. That explains a lot more than I could do!

There you have it fellas, right out of the Horse's Mouth!

Sooooo can't wait for MenuFela!

R
are you calling him a horse? Thats not very nice, considering he is making a totally awesome app.

/boredom

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000

Think of it like this:

Make since?

(fjolnir: please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I understood it)
So we're really waiting for Unsanity, not fjolnir..

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2006, 10:53 PM

Exactly... I feel like I am always waiting for Unsanity..

R

So we're really waiting for Unsanity, not fjolnir..

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
... The problem here is that he isn't just developing for OS X, he is developing a module for the APE framework. As of right now, the APE framework is NOT universal, thus it doesn't run on the Intel macs. ...
A related minor curiosity: it seems that Menu Extra Enabler is now intel-compatible.

mee uses the APE framework, right?

Any ideas?

Plomok
Apr 26, 2006, 09:45 AM

A related minor curiosity: it seems that Menu Extra Enabler is now intel-compatible.

mee uses the APE framework, right?

Any ideas?
No, mee is an inputmanager, ape is still ppc only

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 02:46 PM

ah, so the crazies @ unsanity are just using the APE icon for something that's not APE..

Forum Links
Forum Rules