Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Do Silicon Cases Pull Your Pocket Out?

Do Silicon Cases Pull Your Pocket Out?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 02:46 PM

I'm searching for a case for my iPhone 3G, but I don't want anything bulky. I used to have a rubber/silicon case for my BlackBerry, which was great, but it would always pull my pocket inside out when I pulled my phone out. As well it would not slide back in to my pocket after either, it would stick to the material. It was the WORST when wearing jeans. Anyone else experience this? Are there any silicon cases that are smoother (or less prone to stick to my pockets, so to speak)?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 03:26 PM

my incase iphone case does what you describe. It's a fair tradeoff, though, for the fact that it also makes sure that the phone won't slip nearly as easily off of tables and such. It also feels a lot safer holding it in my hand - I'm a bit of a clutz and without the case I always feel like it's going to slide right out from between my fingers.

kikkoman
Senior User
Sep 11, 2008, 04:00 PM

Would you consider a skin?

http://www.bestskinsever.com/
( Last edited by kikkoman; Sep 11, 2008 at 04:12 PM. )

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 02:16 AM

My Belkin silicone case does.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 12, 2008, 03:26 PM

Silicone cases suck if you keep your phone in a pocket. Try one of the grippier hard cases, like the Griffin Wave (available for both original and 3G), the Contour Showcase (original and 3G), Contour Fusion (3G only).

Also, even between silicone cases there are huge differences in how tacky the surface is. Most el-cheapo ones (like from those mall kiosks), the ones from Speck, InCase and Z-Cover are very tacky. The ones from Belkin and iSkin are not tacky, but rather feel like... a hamster's belly. Velvety soft, not sticky.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2008, 04:06 PM

Ya if you plan on ever putting it a pocket I wouldn't get a silicone case.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya if you plan on ever putting it a pocket I wouldn't get a silicone case.
or wear looser pants

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
or wear looser pants
Or, no pants at all...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2008, 07:06 AM

I use a case only when I go to the gym so my iPhone doesn't slide off the treadmill... (I normally watch podcasts during my warm ups and listen to music when I really get to moving...)

It's already saved my iPhone once... I'd consider a silicone case for slippage issues, even knowing that it pulls your pockets out..

Oh, and my wife MAKES me wear tights jeans, for her benefit, not mine... ergo, a silicone case as I go about my day is impossible.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 09:09 PM

Had an InCase silicone/rubberized case. OK for the pocket in dress slacks but forget jeans.

The Contour Flip are nice cases - not too thick, have a flap/flip-up hinged bottom for the dock connector (so it'll still fit in a dock with the case on), and are smooth plastic. Was using one for about a month, but decided it still added more bulk to the phone than I liked.

I carried my 1st gen iPhone naked (the phone, not me), but with the plastic body on the 3Gs I worry about cracks and deep scuffs.

I've actually settled on a clear Power Support AirJacket. Very thin - not really that much impact protection but keeps the scratches off - and very light weight. Fits quite nicely though not dockable. Bought the clear so you can still see the Apple logo through the case. Looks naked but still has some protection.

Tried an Invisible Skin. Screwed up the installation and couldn't get one side down no matter what I did, so I gave up on it. Plus I've heard they pick up pocket lint after a while.

eimeria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 12:59 AM

It's not just pants pockets ... I put my phone with silicone case in my dress shirt pocket - yes, with my pocket protector, protractor, and slide rule, jk - and I have the same problem. It doesn't want to slide in or come out very easily.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2008, 03:31 PM

I love the responses in this thread, especially the hamster's belly.

I wear tightish jeans, so the pockets are pretty tight. Silicon cases NEVER go into my pockets without some work. I will have to check out a different material case. Leather seems like a good alternative!
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

xclusive
Banned
Sep 22, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
I'm searching for a case for my iPhone 3G, but I don't want anything bulky. I used to have a rubber/silicon case for my BlackBerry, which was great, but it would always pull my pocket inside out when I pulled my phone out. As well it would not slide back in to my pocket after either, it would stick to the material. It was the WORST when wearing jeans. Anyone else experience this? Are there any silicon cases that are smoother (or less prone to stick to my pockets, so to speak)?
may be you've bought one by now
Anyway, if u don't mind adding a slight thickness to your iPhone then i think you can consider buying xylo touch thru case. It's cool....You can see the review here too: iPhone 3G Case

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2008, 01:23 PM

incase has a nice case called the Slider
Its about the size of one of those silicon cases but its a hard shell. The bottom comes off so it will fit into a dock but thats also how you get the main case around the phone...It slides into it from the bottom.

Bit pricey but I love mine so far.
Who reads this???

savoirfaire
Sep 24, 2008, 11:30 PM

I was looking for a case that was as thin as possible while providing complete or nearly complete scratch protection to my iPod. I ended up getting a skin by ShadesCases and they are perfect. They are not silicone but polyurethane. I have to say it's a pain to get on, but once it's on, it looks great and it doesn't pick up lint the way silicone skins do. Comes in like 10 different colors or something like that.

Here's the website, and here's a review

Forum Links
Forum Rules